[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sometime ago there was a thread about comic artist pays.And I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: dc-marvel-logos.jpg (47 KB, 620x428) Image search: [Google]
dc-marvel-logos.jpg
47 KB, 620x428
Sometime ago there was a thread about comic artist pays.And I noticed that there are some professionals that actually worked in the industry.
My question is how do i actually get my portfolio to an art director or someone in the company ? I checked the "Big three"'s websites and they don't have any openings in their Job sections. I noticed that in the "Contact us" section you can choose the type of email and there's "submissions" option in there. Is that where you would link your portfolio ?
>>
>>2413484
I'm not sure they focus too heavily on submissions anymore. A lot of artists are grabbed from tumblr or dA these days. I was picked up from fanart and some dinky comics that editors happened to see.

I'd wait to see if they're going to be opening submission periods soon. If not, start making friends and drawing more fanart, buddy.
>>
File: backup-plan.jpg (37 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
backup-plan.jpg
37 KB, 736x414
>>2413492
Really ? You got picked up from DeviantArt? That's shocking to me. I don't really expect any directors to use that ,looking for artists.
That aside,isn't it just playing the luck game if you just do fanart? And what I mean by that is, there's obviously a ton of fanart going on over there.How is it possible to get picked off the pool if you're competing with so many artists, not to mention people like Artgerm and Alex Paschenko and who knows how many others that more or less "dominate" the comic book art on there.
>>
^
>>
>>2413501
No, I was picked up from tumblr and Twitter.

You use the tags system, more higher-ups scroll through tags than you might realize.
>>
File: 1036-309x316.jpg (15 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
1036-309x316.jpg
15 KB, 309x309
>>2413560
For what IP were you picked ?And what kind of fanart did you do? Were you consistent about posting focused fanart stuff , as in were you posting like, batman sketches or Spider-man stuff and how often would that be ?And on what level of finish?
>>
>>2413568
I'm not big time, not at all. Mostly kids' comics for a few publishers, but I've done page tests for Power Rangers and Lumberjanes. That kind of thing, kiddy stuff.

I posted sketches in various degrees of completeness, and some full-color drawings and illustrations for other freelance jobs on tumblr, and socialized a lot/found fellow cartoonists using Twitter. Fanart was mostly popular cartoons, anime and comic book characters.

My advice might sound a little off since I'm not very interested or qualified to draw mainstream cape comics, but this post talks about many people who are: http://babsdraws.tumblr.com/post/108925333386/have-you-ever-contacted-an-artist-who-doesnt-work

It's very, very likely that you'll get more eyeballs on your work when you focus on drawing a lot of fanart of popular things. More eyeballs and shares = more likelihood that people will want to hire you. And, I guess, be good of course.
>>
File: 62436599.jpg (48 KB, 251x320) Image search: [Google]
62436599.jpg
48 KB, 251x320
>>2413586
Cheers !
>>
>>2413501
Many pros rank deviantart as the worst site to get jobs, but I think comic is an exception. You won't get an illustration/concept art job in DeviantArt, generally.
ArtStation for 3d and concept art seems good and for illustrations I'd have an online portfolio in your own website.
>>
>>2413586
I actually truly hate fan art more than anything, kek, i wish i didn't. I'll really never be able to draw fan art by my own free will.
>>
>>2413669
I'm sorry, buddy. I wish I knew how to help you out in that case. Maybe try making a lot of original art, and focus on it being really tight and nice to look at? Not sure how you'd advertise your stuff, though. Maybe in more generic #art, #illustration, tags like that?
>>
>>2413622
>>2413501

Weebshit perspective here but a lot of illustrators for light novels get picked up from pixiv which is basically Japanese dA.
>>
>>2413694
it'll be okay
>>
Cons are the best way to get your stuff seen. I'm currently enrolled in an internship with someone who has worked for Marvel and got it purely by asking him for it and showing my portfolio at one last year.

Online presence helps a lot too. Posting fanart of characters you'd like to work with on Tumblr and DA as well as interacting regularly on Twitter gets your shit seen and out there
>>
If I remember correctly at comic conventions a lot of big name comic companies offer a timeslot for open portfolio review. I think you need to sign up beforehand, I'm not sure.

You can also meet a lot of in-industry artists at booths and what not and perhaps make connections that way.
>>
You can submit portfolios via email to Marvel's talent people. They don't accept writing submissions but they'll look at portfolios.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.