[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Formal analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: monet.jpg (465 KB, 1600x1185) Image search: [Google]
monet.jpg
465 KB, 1600x1185
I am completely lost on this, I have to write a formal analysis on Claude Monet's "Fisherman's Cottage on the Cliffs at Varengeville"

I am having a hard time finishing. It has to be 4 pages, I am at 2 and completely stuck.
Please halp ;_;
>>
talk about the history behind the piece, techniques & medium used, compostion (i.e. shape design, value structure, color relationships/temperature, placement of light and shadow etc...) compare it to other pieces of his work & that of other impressionists, analyze the critical response.
or just do what every liberal arts student does and make up random bullshit.
>>
>>2412752
thanks, this helps. I'll try to do some of both.
>>
>>2412752
Wow, no that's exactly what you do not write about in a formal analysis. You're focusing on the work and the work alone, OP. Pretend like it was created in a vacuum. Write about how the artist uses the elements of art, how they complement each other or which ones he uses dominantly. Start generally then work your way down to specifics. I usually start with composition, then eye direction, color, and finally brushwork for a Monet.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.