[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On lacking a deeper meaning in Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 1450400695525.jpg (77 KB, 600x524) Image search: [Google]
1450400695525.jpg
77 KB, 600x524
I've been drawing recreationally (and more recently, professionally) my entire life.

However, whenever I draw it's just some scenario in my head that I would enjoy seeing drawn, or maybe a character in a funky pose to play around with how their anatomy would work. Or on occasion, a loose anatomy/landscape/object study.

However the stuff I draw is always "conceptually shallow" in the sense that I'm not trying to tack some social/political/etc message onto it. I've definitely tried before, but it always feels forced as fuck, like that kid in your highschool art class who just found out about Banksy.

Is this a sign of a weaker relationship with drawing, or is it something that some people just don't do?
>>
>>2404350
That just means that you don't really have anything meaningful to say right now, which is fine. It's better to realize that you don't really have some kind of message you want to convey to people than to trying to tack on cliche bullshit in an effort to appear deep. Try to get more experiences in life and maybe you'll have something to say. If you have had experiences in life then try to sit yourself down and really think about why they were important or how they impacted you. It should come from the heart. (Just an opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.)
>>
>>2404357
It's weird, because I have had quite a turbulent life and currently don't really have any desire to revisit any of it through art.

On that same tangent I'm also not one of those people who will draw something "angry" when I'm angry, etc. I prefer not to dwell on the emotion, because I feel that taking the time to draw it out only prolongs that kind of mood much longer than necessary.

It's been suggested to me to seek therapy for getting more in touch with how I feel/felt about some things (generally I'd rather move on instead of dwell), so maybe there's just a mental hurdle that I have? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>
>>2404372
>generally I'd rather move on instead of dwell

False dichotomy. All the more so because "moving on" probably means "ignore, suppress, deny"...

Your experiences and emotions are part of what makes you you, anon. Why deny who and what you are?

I don't care if you put that into your art. Frankly, it wouldn't mean anything to me anyway, as I'm not you.
>>
>>2404350
My advice: don't think about it too hard. You're better off making shallow fantasy work that try-hard social commentary. Just keep making work, eventually it will begin to reflect your views of the world, emotional states, and personal philosophies. Just look at Tolkien or Orwell, their fantasy worlds contained a lot of commentary and reflected their views on the world, in addition to being cool fantasy/post-apocalyptic settings.

>>2404372
Personally I prefer to dwell on an emotion and inhabit an emotional state to create work that reflects my inner life. I find this process is cathartic, rather than a useless prolongation of emotional pain.
>>
File: 5501025620_7b695c493f.jpg (115 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
5501025620_7b695c493f.jpg
115 KB, 500x333
>>2404350
I've been drawing my entire life

Post work fampai

>is this a sign of a weaker relationship with drawing, or is it something that some people just don't do

It just means that you're not a pretentious, narcissistic pedant who likes to hear himself talk (albeit 'visually' in this instance) about things he knows nothing about.

>is it bad that I'm not an annoying faggot that forces his entry-level liberal political philosophy regurgitated verbatim from abx news and that ugly dyke Rachel Maddow on people through his art or uses these positions as an excuse to create the kind of vapid retard art that's been 'all the rage' for the past century?

lol, no
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.