[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I really want to git gud here. Want to be able to draw both
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 51RaIY124nL.jpg (45 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
51RaIY124nL.jpg
45 KB, 383x500
So I really want to git gud here. Want to be able to draw both from imagination and reference.

Everyone here says study Loomis... but I am struggling with this book. Is it just a rough place to start? Do I need to still be using real faces as reference in conjunction with his exercises? I can copy his drawings, but I don't have a directory of facial features in my head to add on to a basic sphere (even if they are simple).
>>
look at "figure drawing; design and invention" and "constructive anatomy"

loomis's prose makes me question whether he was sane, and fun with a pencil is ridiculous.
>>
File: art school in a nutshell.jpg (213 KB, 685x535) Image search: [Google]
art school in a nutshell.jpg
213 KB, 685x535
>>2401121
One thing you should perhaps work on first is your ability to draw from observation, consider "Keys to Drawing"

>I don't have a directory of facial features in my head to add on to a basic sphere (even if they are simple).

Just ignore the part where he suggests you make up your own, or don't and expect them to be shitty, but accept the fact that everything you draw is going to be shitty for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84

>>2401152
>look at "figure drawing; design and invention" and "constructive anatomy"
>un-ironically suggesting either book to a beginner

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>2401158
right on, thanks m8... been working with keys to drawing already. So I'll def keep up with that.

So you feel that adding on more imaginative stuff is more feasible after a good basis in observational drawing?
>>
>>2401121
I started with this book, and "Drawing with the right side of the brain". As a total beginner, I found Fun with a Pencil too much 'rigid', and Right Side of the Meme too much 'delusional'.

But I found myself with the Vilppu's Drawing Manual, and found a torrent with his drawing lessons. Shit is gold.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:62A4F44DB297DB5418C11F880DDF47B1B859E555&dn=VILPPU&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=%2audp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969
>>
>>2401180
Currently seeding it.
>>
>>2401180

Not OP, but got questions. Which vilppu lectures have you done/attempted?

I tried to do exercises from "drawing essentials" course, seemed a tad advanced right after 1st week.

Which ones do you recomend? I've basically attempted to study from loomis books(head hands/figure), hampton, and some random beginner-esque books(which are more or less garbage, like draw in 30 days). Also watched, and also attempted to follow videos of proko, hampton, vilppu, huston. Didn't click. Gesture is frustrating.
>>
>>2401192
Why do you find gesture frustrating?
I'm doing Vilppu Studio Drawing Manual. Did till now the gesture lesson, then spherical forms and box forms.

At first hand, I didn't find any joy from drawing gesture. But after the spherical forms and box forms, I enjoyed. Doing gesture just about it sucks. Doing gesture, then adding volume is way more fun, and you feel the utility of the gesture.

Btw, the magnetic that I linked has some Vilppu's lessons with 1+hour, with about 40 minutes of demonstrations and 40 more minutes with examples.
>>
>>2401205
>Why do you find gesture frustrating?

I think because of how bad my gestures are. I attempted a heaps of those, but for some reason it is hard to throw away contour drawing, which I've built up over the years.

I've actually got a lot of book/video resources of various artists. The vast ammount of those makes me confused which do I start with, or maybe some aren't even worth it.
>>
>>2401180
I was searching for this for a long time, thanks anon
>>
>>2401180
Thank you
>>
>>2401165
Draw something from life. Do you think it actually looks like the item beyond some sort of reasonable doubt? If not, keep practising still life.
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA

Here's this, its a shitload of how to pdfs. Look for the Loomis ones in order of release if you want to.
>>
Hi, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gkLkFrkcUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oAOnIn3cY

https://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials/search?query=10+minute
>>
>>2401929
This is brilliant, Thanks m8.
>>
>>2401121
This book is garbage for building skill, Loomis is a god but this book is like for someone whos never drawn anything in their life. I'm assuming you like to draw and do it often, so you have some skill to build on. This book will yield very little progress, look into his other books.
>>
Fun With a Pencil is so retarded

>Draw 500 fucking cartoon blobheads
>Okay are you done with that? Now I'll show you how to draw real heads
>Draw a circle
>Draw some lines
>Draw the rest of the fucking head

Proko's videos on head drawing are much better for this.
>>
>>2404819
Drawing the head and hands by Loomis isn't any better. There's like 1 page showing the mechanics of the eye. Nose and mouth are also lacking. You get the head tilts and feature placement and that's pretty much it.
You really need to supplement the books with other sources.
>>
>>2404819
I found the best use of part 1 of Fun with a Pencil is just to break out of bad habits if you are used to drawing featureless anime snoutfaces. Being forced to draw big cheeks and noses on bald cartoon men forces you to think about construction, which would be helpful for someone who maybe has only tried to draw cartoon symbols from memory.
Its true you ought to have other things to draw from and not just 1939 newspaper cartoon bald men.
>>
>>2401180
What do you mean by too "rigid"?
>>
File: blookbutt.jpg (229 KB, 1451x571) Image search: [Google]
blookbutt.jpg
229 KB, 1451x571
>>2404707
>>2404819
>>2404901
>don't get how drawing these cartoon heads and faces are supposed to help you understand construction by exposing you to eclectic shapes at different angles from a similar foundation
>don't understand the significance of introducing realistic heads towards the end of the book
>literally look at it as a "head drawing book" and judge it as such

good god
>>
File: spongebob_shock.gif (158 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
spongebob_shock.gif
158 KB, 499x368
As a person who hasn't drawn since grade school, is this book gonna help me or not?
>>
>>2405039
Yes, but you have to have at least bare minimum observational drawing skills and decent manual dexterity. Look up Peter Han on youtube and consider Keys to Drawing first. Construction is a relatively advanced technique.
>>
>>2405009
Im not the guy your quoting, but I agree with him so I will give my two cents.

Loomis books have this "my way or the highway" feeling to them. It just feels like he is saying "you can only draw a head if you draw it like I do." I know that Loomis really isnt saying that, that fun with a pencil is just about giving you an idea on how to construct, but those are the vibes that I get from FWAP.

Vilppu is far more free in his construction, watch a few of his vids on youtube.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.