[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I improve quickly if I used to draw?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: CQqKwKX.jpg (489 KB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
CQqKwKX.jpg
489 KB, 2322x4128
I haven't drawn/painted for maybe 2 years now. I've been very busy and haven't had much motivation. I want to get back into it. I have one of the older intuos medium tablets but never got into digital art that much. Can anyone recommend a decent program to get started with digital art. Preferably nothing fancy I just want to start doing something. Also are there any new guides or reference resources I should know about?
Pic is about the best I can do right now. How long until I can at least get as good as I was before I stopped?
>>
>Can anyone recommend a decent program to get started with digital art. Preferably
Art Rage if you're looking to emulate traditional media, Gimp if you're looking for free, photoshop if you don't have a budget.

>Also are there any new guides or reference resources I should know about?
That is a very broad question depends entirely what you're looking for. I would recommend looking at some basic introductory tutorials to whatever program you choose.

>How long until I can at least get as good as I was before I stopped?
How can you expect anyone to give a reasonable answer to that? That's up to you, your abilities, how quickly you learn, how much time you can dedicate to practice, and where you were vs/where you are now.
>>
>>2401042
I was more asking how long does it usually take people to reach their old skill level as opposed to starting from scratch. Sorry I know it's kind of a stupid question but it's a bit depressing when in your head you think you can draw something but then when you try it just doesn't come out like you expect.
>>
>>2401039

By doing the same thing everyone should be doing. Fundamentals to get better, creating new imagery to explore style/ideas.
>>
>>2401049
It's faster, but every individual moves at their own pace. Without any practical way of knowing how quickly you learn, there's no way to give you a timeline.

Practicing, reading books, and doing exercises will expedite the process. Even if you think it's something basic or you already know how to do it, it would not do you any harm to review it.
>>
>>2401042
Krita > GIMP for free drawing+painting software
>>
>>2401131
I'm OP, does krita has good tutorials?
>>
>>2401136
yeah, check out their website
https://docs.krita.org/Introduction_to_Layers_and_Masks
https://docs.krita.org/Main_Page
>>
You force yourself into it. Its that simple and hard to do..
>>
>>2401223
>You force yourself into it. Its that simple and hard to do..

Not op. How? I'm literally struggling with forcing myself to draw. I know I want to get better, but my motivation is low as fuck.
>>
>>2401237
You dont need motivation. You need disclipline.
>>
>>2401237
Set aside time every day for art. An hour, two, whatever you can spare. Set a timer to ensure you sit for the minimum time you set aside. You can fill that time with whatever you like, change it up so you don't get bored. You can do line drawings, value studies, color studies, work on a larger piece, read instructional books, watch instructional videos, gesture drawings, etc.

You just need self-discipline, and that must come from within.
>>
>>2401245

That is quite mysterious for me, never have I attempted to discipline myself.
>>
>>2401262
There is something you want to do or rather do but you know it's not what you NEED to do. You stop yourself and force yourself to not got down the path of least resistance.
>>
>>2401250
>Art
Can't really call my drawings art, most of them look crap. In fact I took a week long break of drawing because of frustration. Especially after watching proko videos, I can't draw that well. I attempted to study from using different books, videos but doesn't seem like I'm getting any better.
>>
>>2401266
Nope. Doesn't look like that might work for me. I tend to procrastinate. Any good books on that matter? Discipline/procrastination etc.
>>
File: 1271777067555.jpg (221 KB, 1198x1000) Image search: [Google]
1271777067555.jpg
221 KB, 1198x1000
>>2401273
It's a long uphill battle. Persistence is key. There is a huge plateau every artist encounters and struggles with, sometimes for their entire career. It's when they know enough to know that they could and should be doing better, but for whatever reason it doesn't click. You will fail more than you succeed but you will learn. Strive to make each drawing better than the last. Get criticism for your work and address those problems in your next piece.
>>
I forgot to ask in the op. What are some good anime artists I can reliably study from? When I first started I really wanted to be able to draw anime but all I ever did was draw from life. Even when I was better I still couldn't draw in a style to save my life.
>>
>>2401287
It's will power. Will power is like a muscle you need to exercise, it will be painful at first but you must keep at it. It cannot be a one time thing, you must develop it into a habit through repetition. You need to say NO to yourself. Set up a punishment/rewards system. Turn off your internet and phone. Set a space aside that is a designated work area, you may not procrastinate or play in that area, only work. Leave your house and draw/do exercises in a park or a library, places where you are there specifically to work without other things to do.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.