[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gesture Drawings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: gesture-drawings.jpg (100 KB, 700x471) Image search: [Google]
gesture-drawings.jpg
100 KB, 700x471
Aside from Vilppu, what are some other great sources that teaches you the fundamentals of gesture drawings. About to attend some gesture drawing classes in the next few months, and aside from studying anatomy and form, I was wondering what other books teaches you how to gesture within the time limit.
>>
Obligatory michael hampton "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" and proko's gesture videos suggestion.
>>
Steve Huston does explain gesture, both theoretical and practical.
>>
>>2398934
Can a powerful artfag dispense wisdom here?

After studying some proko the pictures that OP linked don't strike me as gesture drawings. They have a minimal amount of gesture to them, Rather they seem more like contour drawings.

Would I be accurate in this statement?
>>
>>2399518

Proko didn't invent gesture drawing. Vilppu didn't invent gesture drawing. The OP pic is gesture drawing to the artist. There is no 1 way to do gesture. There are no laws in gesture drawing. The gesture drawing methods taught in basic life drawing (proko, vilppu etc) is to get you into the idea to experience what the model is doing in a structural approach and are merely training wheels. Eventually you'll find your own way of doing it.
>>
>>2399522
Okay cool. Thanks for that.
>>
>>2399518

This whole "what's a real gesture drawing" discussion is fucking stupid. Gestures are quick sketches of the figure that capture the pose, movement and weight distribution with a simplest statement. If you can do that with contours, then that's still a gesture.

Contour drawing only has such a derogatory intonation because it's what every beginner does before they understand the concept of seeing through the forms they are drawing. A good artist can do a gesture with a contour-heavy drawing just fine because they still understand what they are drawing, they are just more sparse with their lines.
>>
OP here, sounds like I'll be fine.
I just wasn't sure how to approach anything above 1 minute drawings. But in the end, I should be able to grasp it once I start practicing it.
>>
>>2399516
Haven't looked into Steve Huston books, but I hear good things. May have to check it out.
>>
>>2402691

He doesn't have books sadly. Just lectures on new masters academy. Also, their youtube channel(new masters academy) has a 3 hour long lecture from steve huston on head drawing. If you got the time it is worth checking out. Can't link, I'm on a phone and for some reason copying does not work.
>>
Proko premium has some pretty neat critique vid with Vandruff, they explain and discuss mistakes that can be made with gestures
>>
How do you know when you're ready to tackle gesture drawing?
>>
>>2405256
What do you mean "tackle" it? Like, start doing it? If so, you should be doing it all the time. The only way you're going to help the videos and explanations click is by constantly drawing gestures. One day while you're either drawing a gesture or watching the same video for the 1,000th time, you'll have a stunning realization and feel as though you have an extra chromosome for not understanding 1,000 videos sooner.
>>
>>2405256
Gesture drawing is pretty much one of the first things you should get comfortable with when it comes to figure drawing. So, tackle it as early as possible and keep at it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.