[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Ricky Gervais ridicule Karl Pilkington for his favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: lowryberwickbig.jpg (68 KB, 505x382) Image search: [Google]
lowryberwickbig.jpg
68 KB, 505x382
Why did Ricky Gervais ridicule Karl Pilkington for his favorite artist being L. S. Lowry? I hadn't heard of him, I guess he's bigger in the UK than in America, but I quite like his paintings.

He he just too sentimental? Like an English Grandma Moses or something?
>>
>>2396357
Because that's their dynamic. Ricky doesn't actually care what Karl says, and often Karl says things that aren't stupid, but are only said in a profoundly stupid way and Ricky will still bust his balls for it.
>>
>>2396370
This pretty much. Karl could cure cancer and Ricky would still call him a bald headed twat.
>>
>>2396370
>>2396378

But this was like a real conversation, and it's not like Ricky rejects reasonable things Karl say, sometimes he even agrees with him. I just didn't know if there was just some sort of consensus about L. S. Lowry among sophisticated English people that would make them disdain him, something that would be common knowledge to English people but go over American's heads.
>>
>>2396461
What's the context then? Without hearing the conversation there's little to go on beyond Ricky's normal "Karl's such a mank twat, head like a fucking orange," which I think is still likely because it seems like that's Ricky's modus operandi even outside the show. He just likes winding Karl up.
>>
From the wiki:
>Due to his use of stylised figures and the lack of weather effects in many of his landscapes he is sometimes characterised as a naïve 'Sunday painter', although this is not the view of the galleries that have organised retrospectives of his works.

He's like our Bob Ross.
>>
>>2396519

Talking about Ricky's apartment, and Karl said he didn't like Ricky's art, which sounds like Rothko type stuff, so Ricky asks Karl his favorite artist then Ricky basically calls him a plebe and is extremely rude too him.
>>
>>2396532
Bob Ross couldn't actually draw what was in front of him
>>
>>2396461
>In 1957 an unrelated 13-year-old schoolgirl called Carol Ann Lowry wrote to him at her mother's urging to ask his advice on becoming an artist. He visited her home in Heywood and befriended the family. His friendship with Carol Ann Lowry lasted for the rest of his life.[28]
>>
>>2396669
Sounds like Ricky winding him up + being a bit of an elitist.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.