[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good tools, tips and tricks to draw digitally for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: a mouse.jpg (10 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
a mouse.jpg
10 KB, 300x250
Are there any good tools, tips and tricks to draw digitally for people who don't possess a graphic tablet?

When I make serious drawings I always do them traditionally, on paper, then I scan them and do the lineart on SAI with the lineart curve tool. It takes a long time and it's rather disheartening having to redo something you've already done once but if you're careful it does the job fine. Then I just fill colors and such with my mouse. Needless to say the styles you can do using this method are "somewhat limited" since it has to involve linearts, basic coloring etc, so no painting and so on, but depending on what you want to do it can be alright (such as anime/manga style).

Opinions? Any poorfags like me who does or have done the same thing here?
>>
>>2395627
sounds like torture
>>
Just save for a low end tablet. You can get one for under a hundred dollars, even as a poorfag that should be attainable.

Seriously, learning to draw on a mouse just isn't fucking worth it unless you're doing pixel art or something.
>>
>>2395631
>>2395640
I wish I could but I'm already saving for a computer as this one could be dying on me any day now. Sigh.
>>
>>2395627
I don't know what art goals you have, but I think for now you should stick to traditional art as much as possible. You can do everything traditionally, you will learn a lot, and your art will probably look even better.
>>
>Are there any good tools, tips and tricks to draw digitally for people who don't possess a graphic tablet?
Get a tablet.
>>
>>2395655
There are very cheap tablets out there anon.
>>
File: 1439687839075.png (109 KB, 261x237) Image search: [Google]
1439687839075.png
109 KB, 261x237
>>2396249
Yeah that's what I'm doing of course, I never use my mouse to draw, sketch or practice per se. Still from time to time I feel the need to make finished pieces (I mostly work black & white) so I go over the method I explained in the OP.

>>2396255
>>2396256
I suppose I'm the only one on /ic/ doing that autistic thing then. Damn it.
>>
>>2395627
sketch in trad
scan\photo into digital
pen tool + lasso tool
>>
>>2396620
>pen tool + lasso tool
Could you expand a bit please, I'm a pleb.
>>
>>2395627
ink traditionally. it's a dying art.
>>
>>2396623
first you need to get rid of pleb tool sai and install patricianshop, next you just use them bezier curves of glorious pen tool and magnetic lasso tool over your sketch and live well and prosper like honorary citizen of great digital arts empire

you can also work in fucking mcdonalds a bit and buy used wacom intuos and become senator
>>
>>2396631
Been thinking about this but inking on a drawing you worked hard on isn't forgiving at all. I'm still a beginner.

>>2396636
Photoshop has a similar options? I have it installed but never really use it.

I'll check those out and report back.
>>
File: zzz.png (85 KB, 1787x957) Image search: [Google]
zzz.png
85 KB, 1787x957
>>2396636
>>2396648
That's pretty shit.
>>
>>2396648
You shouldn't think of your current drawings as precious treasures as beginner. They are just stepping stones into gitting gud.
>>
>>2395627
You don't paint with the mouse?
I do it and it's more dependent on your brushes than anything since your lines look shitty and the only way to influence that is with customization. It takes some time but, I got used to it. As for the curve tool, it helps, but you can grow out of it and just do regular lines. I feel that it's dependent on your artistic ability to produce lines even with any tool. If you can't do it with a mouse, it probably doesn't matter much with a pencil.
>>
>>2395627
Try Manga Studio 5/Clip Studio Paint Pro (same software, different publishers). Its vector tools are based on SAI's but vastly more advanced and also don't limit you to the standard 'straight black' brush style. You could even just convert a reasonably clean sketch straight into vector and continue from there, it's surprisingly decent at that as well.

I frequently use it when I don't have a tablet at hand, shit's got fantastic tricks up its sleeve such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78YmF7pOmGM
>>
>>2395640
If OP is inkling then a low end tablet isn't going to do him much of a favor, is it?
>>
>>2395627
>Are there any good tools, tips and tricks to draw digitally for people who don't possess a graphic tablet?

Don't draw digitally, that's my tip. Save and buy a tablet
>>
>>2396828
>don't draw digitally
>get a tablet
???
>>
>>2396804
> Its vector tools are based on SAI's
How does that work? Isn't sai closed source?
>>
>>2396804
> You could even just convert a reasonably clean sketch straight into vector and continue from there, it's surprisingly decent at that as well.
Teach me senpai
>>
>>2396841
>>2396841
It hurts my head that there are people this stupid.
>>
>>2396853
>>2396853
Sorry, I meant that in a functional way, since OP mentioned using them. They work similar to SAI's, except you can do a lot more.
>>
>>2396878
How do you not go out of your lines?
>>
>>2396860
Right-click on layer, click 'Convert Layer...', choose vector. Fiddle with settings (don't put 'correction' much higher than 3 or you'll end up with a modern Picasso).
>>
Doesn't Adam Hughes use a mouse?

He inks traditionally though.
>>
>>2396883
It doesn't work if your sketch/line-art's on a white background instead of a transparent one, but you can just hit 'convert brightness to opacity' to fix that.
>>
>>2396755
You're right but I still believe it's important to try to push myself from time to time so I can look back later and see how I could have made it better. After all this is the reason I'm drawing, to create pieces I can be proud of.
Oh wait you were replying to the inking thing, well, yeah, but to be totally honest my goal is digital so I don't feel like practicing inking on paper. I'll still probably try though.

>>2396795
Considering I plan on buying a tablet eventually I feel like it'd be a wasted skill trying to train my mouse skills. I'd rather use that energy and time training traditionally.

>>2396828
Like I said I mostly do black & white works so for now it's not as painful as you probably imagine it.

>>2396804
>>2396889
I do have Manga Studio 5 installed but same as above concerning PS I have never used them ever, only used SAI so far because of how simple it is. I'll look into that thanks. Would the line look "natural"? My problem at the moment with SAI is, while the curve tool is really good at tracing over my paper scanned linearts, the lines look really bland. I can mayybe work them with the other tools but it's just really not optimal, it takes ages and makes me feel dead inside.
>>
>>2396898
Would select color gamut be a more elegant way to do that or no?
>>
Aren't intuos3 less than $50 or something?

You could also get a bamboo.
>>
>>2396913
It's not very useful for what he wants to do.
>>
>>2396913
Where are people getting tablets that are this cheap? They always say it's under 50$ and stuff, but I've never seen it once.
>>
>>2396912
Never really used it, but it looks like a document-wide magic wand to me, so I'm assuming you use it to remove everything that's white or near-white. Wouldn't you get a lot of aliasing that way? 'Convert brightness to opacity' is more like separating line-art through channels in Photoshop.
>>
>>2396942
> document-wide magic wand
Not really true.

> Wouldn't you get a lot of aliasing that way?
I haven't had any problems with aliasing thus far
>>
>>2396932
My shitty tablet cost $70 NZD
>>
>>2396932
Well a used intuos 3 is around 50-70$. And pros have been using those for a long time.
>>
>>2396969
would you suggest a intuos over a bamboo? (not op, just someone else thinking about getting a tablet.)
>>
>>2396910
>Would the line look "natural"?
I know there's this option for the PS pen tool called "simulate pressure" which varies the line weight.
>>
>>2396977
Depends on your style. If it's simplistic, then yeah. If you plan on doing "crazy" shit in the future, then get an intuos.
>>
>>2396988
crazy? I'm not sure i follow. You mean more complex?
>>
>>2396977
The intuos 3 is pretty much the same as most bamboos, just loads uglier.
I've had the bamboo pen (CTL-460) for about six years now. It works well despite actually being worse than the intuos 3.

Craigslist and ebay usually have cheap tablets.
>>
>>2397001
If you draw easy webcomics shit=bamboo
Professional work=Intuos
>>
>>2397053
Is the intuos more precise or what? How is that possible?
>>
>>2396824

Better than a mouse.
>>
>>2397077
The specs on wacom's site. Basically more expensive=better.

But basically getting an intuos sets you for life.
>>
>>2397008
I have a bamboo too, can testify that it looks tons cuter than a Intuos and using a mouse is shit and hard (tablets are SO FUCKING EASY compared to mice holy shit )
>>
>>2397093
Still not worth buying.

If you want to trace lineart it's cintiq or bust.
>>
>>2395627
Here you go
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-Intuos-2-Drawing-Tablet-6-x8-w-Pen-Stand-/191798836725?hash=item2ca819fdf5:g:V20AAOSwL7VWsjpL

I think 6x8 is the minimum size, i find 4x5 too small to work with unless you grew up drawing purely with your wrist instead of using a more full arm technique.
>>
>>2397888
Can't ship this to my country. I wonder if I could find similar prices in Western Europe... I'll have to look into it.

I think thread made me realize I should probably buy a cheap tablet so I'll have to ponder and inform myself on what could be good for me.
>>
>>2397933
Eastern Europe, shouldn't you be asleep or something right now? Have you tried craigslist? Someone may be willing to knock the price down a bit if you offer some art work along with cash.
>>
>>2397971
It's only 8pm in France right now.

Just asked LAS and they recommended me the huion h610.
>Have you tried craigslist?
Nah but I will. We also have a French version of that thing.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.