[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When people say to "feel" the form. What the hell kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: MY0LwvA.png (435 KB, 945x610) Image search: [Google]
MY0LwvA.png
435 KB, 945x610
When people say to "feel" the form. What the hell kind of nonsense are they on about?
>>
You can't feel the form senpai?
What are you, gay?
>>
>>
File: Feelppu.gif (19 KB, 300x328) Image search: [Google]
Feelppu.gif
19 KB, 300x328
>>2394746
You must feeel the ebbs and flows of form
If you want truly understand frog, bee a frog
>>
a lot of writing about art, not to mention art education, is filled with frilly nonsense like that because its hard to explain. When people say shit like "feel the form" I think they're mostly talking about composition and gesture - a figure can "feel" like a swoop or a tight ball depending on the pose; visual imagery is often described in poetic terms.

I think it basically just means, see that thing that looks a certain way? understand why it looks that way. Then you can attempt to recreate it on paper.
>>
It's not something that can be explained, you must feel for it on your own.
>>
>>2394746

literally. do you not have hands? have you never touched physical objects? if you don't, how are you able to draw...?

how dumb are you. The implied word here is "imagine" (presumably something you lack as well as hands), "feel the form" means "imagine what this object would feel like if you touched it" If you run your hands along a cuboidal, spherical or cylindrical form you know how it feels and how its dimensions work. Looking at a 3D object, even in life can never truly describe its form to you. Only by feeling something can you get a real sense of depth. That is why people say "feel the form", because it teaches you to self correct your very imperfect visual depth perception, especially in 2D, on a page. Similarly with gesture, when people tell you to feel, they mean, imagine where the tension and relaxation would be if you yourself where taking this pose. Which leg would be painful from supporting more of your weight? where would you be feeling the stretch? how do you feel from having to hold a pose where you bend over and expose your butthole as opposed to one where you stand up tall with your shoulders back?

The lines you draw communicate this stuff to a viewer. darkening lines of tension in a gesture, or attenuating lines to describe a 3D form receding in space etc. "feel" means use your fucking imagination to enrich your experience of what you are drawing and use that undeniably important information to enrich how you make calculated decisions about what you choose to put down on the page.
>>
Read Mattesi's book "force - lifedrawing for animators" It explains the concept pretty in-depth.

"feeling" a pose is not any esoteric, vague bullshit, but simply the concept of understanding how momentum and gravity affect the body in whatever pose it is in.
>>
feel the form is the shortcut to point you have to focus on 3D rather than just 2D shapes, you can manage to acomplish that aplying the basic rules of perspective to understand how your reference actually is, just look any Dore's art, take some LSD and even an autistic like you will FEEEL THE FORMS
>>
>>2394746
read kimon nicolaides - the natural way to draw, i think he was the one that came up with that.
>>
File: january-10-2016.jpg (418 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
january-10-2016.jpg
418 KB, 750x1000
it means feeling all the curves and edges on what you are drawing in your head. think of it like imagining a wire mesh around what you are looking at. it means not just looking at what you are drawing but analyzing it and translating that into lines on the paper that are honest to the subject.

pic related: me "feeling the forms" of the hand as i draw it ( mainly the one in the middle)
>>
File: feel-the-form.jpg (1 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
feel-the-form.jpg
1 MB, 2550x3300
>>
>>2394876

fuck. forgot to put the text.

Feeling the form means:

When someone paints a brick wall, you recognize it as brick wall but you also have a feeling that if you were able to touch it it would have the texture of a brick wall.

When someone paints a fur, silk or something similar you have a feeling if you were able to touch it it would be smooth to the touch.

If someone draws a guy flexing his biceps or a girl with a firm ass you have a feeling you could cut diamonds on them.

Also open the image in full view. There is texture and some details that are lost when seen at 50%. These details help in the visualization of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>2394746
>>2394754
>>2394808

>not feeling the forms
Never gonna make it
>>
>>2394808

Stop fucking using your own work as an example in threads where no one asked you to post your work, you're the only poster who does this. Do you honestly think you are the best artist at drawing hands? Why not post a master doing a study of hands that shows the same thing at a much higher level than you
>>
>>2394746
>TLDR
Practice cross contour
>>
>>2395500
so saaaaaaalty lol
>>
File: piss.jpg (29 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
piss.jpg
29 KB, 600x450
>>2394749
bee yourself
>>
>>2395500
Lol shut up jack ass
>>
File: I'm Really Feeling It!.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
I'm Really Feeling It!.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2395500
Did he fuck your mom or something? Lol
>>
>>2394746
How the fuck do you expect to draw if you can't visualize an object's volume in your mind?

Oh wait, you're just an autist complaining about terminology.
>>
File: 1278300966923 1.jpg (556 KB, 2495x850) Image search: [Google]
1278300966923 1.jpg
556 KB, 2495x850
>>
File: Drawing humans.png (788 KB, 1962x1136) Image search: [Google]
Drawing humans.png
788 KB, 1962x1136
>>
>>2396348
>>2396590
>>2395771
Same-fag
>>
>>2394746
Watching Vilppu, are we?

It means to always draw across volumes instead of drawing straight lines.
>>
>>2394746
It means touch. You can feel by touching.
>>
It's nice to feel things cuz keeping art as a purely visual representation in your head can be kind of exhausting and hollow.

If say it also works to spread the mental workload out to more of your brain. Or at least that's what it feels like. I dunno, shit is totally magic when you get the hang of it.

You want to try to feel everything in your work, be it volume, texture, color, composition, flow, mood narrative, dialogue etcetera, because overly cerebral processes tend to feel like a sum of parts, rather than a living thought. You maaaaagically become more artistic when you turn your method into a visceral expression as opposed to a sterile chore.

That's what my mommy taught me, anyway.
>>
They mean get your shapes, proportions, poses, etc. correct before you worry about the details and start to render that way you don't fail before you begin and try to brush your mutilated characters off as muh style.
>>
I disagree with the previous anons.

When he says feel the form, he literally means to feel it, the same way you can feel a rythm in your body. When you have practiced freehand perspective enough you start to feel where the lines should be as if you have a 3d modeling software on the paper. It's very different from designing 2d shapes.
>>
>>2395500
Don't bother. The guy is hopeless.
>>
I think everyone in this thread does a pretty poor job of describing the concept. It's a fluffy description of visualization. Imagining depth and volume, often without needing to draw much if any framework for it, and following the surface of what you're drawing by gut feeling rather than measurement.
>>
>>2400824
>When he says feel the form, he literally means to feel it

You can only "literally" feel something with your skin, you dumbass. So unless Vilppu means to get up from your seat and start groping the life drawing model, no he doesn't mean to literally feel it.
>>
>>2401253
No, he actually means you should grope the model.
>>
File: 1441313797003.jpg (97 KB, 432x372) Image search: [Google]
1441313797003.jpg
97 KB, 432x372
>>2401281
>tfw the art instructors likes to hire fat models
>>
>>2394746
You ever draw the gesture line of a pose and the while doing the strokes around the forms you think would be there? Say if you had already drawn in boxes for the torso and pelvis and connected them, only in your head. You see the form while you draw the lines that would be touching the form on paper, you "feel" the form.

You ever play a video game and like .. Say someone says you have to "see" what the opponent is doing before they do it. Instead of moving your character behind the guy to attack him, you fake an attack and you "know" he'll Dodge and end up facing away from you and you position yourself to attack before they do it and it plays out exactly like that. You "see" your opponent's moves. You feel the form. Like sasuke using his period eye to see narutos attacks before they hit or some shit.
>>
Same guy here
>>2403854

Or what this guy >>2394772 is saying. I see it a bit differently but they're right
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.