[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better for me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 168x204) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 168x204
I was wondering which is better for a beginner? Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side if the Brain" or Claire Garcia "Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner".

I ask because i hear Betty's book can be long winded or such with 400+ pages but Claires book is much shorter? Is there much difference between the two? Should i study both or pick one?
>>
>>2391742
drawing on the right side of the meme is just someone rambling on about pseudo science.
>>
Get some Loomis in ya
>>
>>2391746
Nose bro, love ya senpai but that's only partly correct.

Drawing on the right side of the senpai does have exercises that teach the total beginner how to perceive their surroundings and draw exactly what they see.
If you don't even know where to start, that book is a cheap way to get you going in the right direction.
Leading up to books like Loomis of course.
>>
File: xerox.jpg (5 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
xerox.jpg
5 KB, 251x201
>>2391880
>Drawing on the right side of the senpai does have exercises that teach the total beginner how to perceive their surroundings and draw exactly what they see.
except that they fucking don't need it, if I want to have exact copy of reality in twenty fucking first century, I take photos of it with my phone
there is absolutely no reason to read and use this book
if sempai is total beginner he should learn how space works how proportions work how other beginner stuff works desu
>>
>>2391742
Other beginner here and let me tell you man "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is such a chore to work through. Most of your time will be spent reading through anecdotal pseudo science like >>2391746 said and when you finally get to an exercise you might as well question how useful it is. At the beginning she asks you to get a bunch of useless shit when the only thing you really should need is your pencil which makes a lot of things really inaccessible. Personally I don't recommend it but like I said I'm a beginner myself.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.