[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
While learning how to think in 3D through still lives, is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
While learning how to think in 3D through still lives, is it counter productive to do drawings from imagination, or is it vital to apply what you are learning?
>>
Drawing from imagination helps you give something to compare HOW you're learning to WHAT you're learning. Study still lifes or from other references and then test yourself by doing some from imagination. Compare, contrast, make changes and go at it again.
>>
>>2391383
>>2391024
Had a brain aneurism while typing that. Fixed:

Drawing from imagination gives you something to compare HOW you're learning with WHAT you're learning. Study still lifes or from other references and then test yourself by doing some from imagination. Compare, contrast, make changes and go at it again.
>>
>>2391388
Thanks man
>>
>>2391388
>>2391383

lmao'd

Trying to comprehend your thought process whilst typing that.
>>
>>2391024
I would say don't do it over years. I can draw some really neat looking things but nothing accurate from life.
>>
>>2391982
Then you're the exception. Most people are much better at drawing from observation than drawing from imagination.
>>
>>2391024
From personal experience, pure observation is okay, but it's too easily done mindlessly. Mostly what you are practicing is your technique in whatever medium you're using rather than learning how to visualize the actual subject matter. Drawing from imagination is good for brainstorming or creating an image with skills you're already confident in but the amount of learning you can get from it is minimal.

Imo, the best way is to do both at the same time. Draw a scene from imagination BUT use as much reference as you can for every facet of it. That way your are using your brain to analyze your reference and fit them into your artwork. Say you have an image with a particular lighting you want to emulate. Since your drawing is from imagination and objects in it are different, you are forced to try to understand the lighting, how it would affect different materials, which direction to put your shadows consistently, and so forth. That is learning.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.