[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a problem, /ic/. I just can't finish art. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: s2.jpg (2 MB, 1950x2626) Image search: [Google]
s2.jpg
2 MB, 1950x2626
I have a problem, /ic/.

I just can't finish art.

I have the requisite skill for all the bits and pieces, but I can never find the patience to put them together. After drawing one thing, my brain just sort of shuts down and moves on like a tape clicking to the next track.

It's something that even Adderall, in it's infinite focus, couldn't bull though. I spent so many years doing simple, repetitive doodles that I'm permanently stuck in the same mindframe; the same mode.

So how do I re-teach myself? Every conscious effort thus far has been crushed under the weight of habit, and with each passing year I draw less and less. It seems a shame to waste a skill that came so naturally.
>>
>>2387317
just keep going you fucking faggot. no art is finished merely abandoned etc etc etc. just get good and you'll push the level of your "unfinished" drawings. cunt.
>>
File: s3.jpg (2 MB, 1950x2626) Image search: [Google]
s3.jpg
2 MB, 1950x2626
>>2387321

I'm afraid your answer doesn't make much sense, anon.

The deficiency isn't one of technical skill, but of patience or habit.

I'll undoubtedly continue to improve. Some day I may be able to render an eye perfectly.

But I'd like to be able to draw the whole person. And the room around the person. And fully shade it. And fully color it.

If, as you say, that no art is finished merely abandoned, then my trouble is that I abandon it very quickly.
>>
File: s4.jpg (2 MB, 1950x2626) Image search: [Google]
s4.jpg
2 MB, 1950x2626
>>2387338

I should reiterate, perhaps, that in theory I should be able to render complete pieces. As I said, I have the necessary skill.

The trouble is that if, for a few minutes I draw an eye, and then stop, I never learned how to continue. I can sketch a face, and at a certain point my mind will think "this is done." And if I wish to go back and add to it, I simply don't know how. The part of my brain working with visual organization doesn't quite grasp the idea of continuity - it just works in little vignettes. So everything just ends up as separate little sketches on the same page, instead of one whole drawing.

And I would like to unlearn that. It is something necessary to push the "level of my unfinished drawings.":
>>
you're still a fucktard. whatever it takes you 10 hours to do now will take you 5 hours in the future. go fuck yourself and get good and stop clogging up /ic/ with your intellectual masturbation
>>
>>2387345
value/color/light/rendering are different skills than sketching. You can't expect to be good at something you haven't practiced.

>>2387349
chill
>>
File: s5.jpg (2 MB, 1950x2626) Image search: [Google]
s5.jpg
2 MB, 1950x2626
>>2387352

Again, anon.

I'm talking about the skill of completing drawings. Of planning, sketching, rendering, and completing a full image. Of learning to stop and start a drawing at will, until it is whole. Of learning the patience to assemble each of the parts and steps. And to unlearn the habit of drawing single objects hanging in space. Of simply doing studies and sketches. To progress.

Much like value, color, light, and rendering, it is a wholly different skill.

I am not looking for people to parse my language in arbitrary ways, I'd go to /lit/ for that.

What I had hoped /ic/ could provide that /lit/ could not is the luxury of experience. People who have had similar problems with the transition and growth of their skill. People who know resources, books, or guides for this sort of thing.

I didn't think being understood would be such a magnificent problem.
>>
Learn how to draw super fast
>>
>I have the requisite skill for all the bits and pieces
post your work, I bet you're a shitter
>>
>>2387317
I had the same problem anon, one thing you can do, is devise your very own procedure of completing a drawing, omitting certain things etc.

Drawing is a creative field, do what you want to do. If you don't have the patience to complete the drawing procedure it may mean you just don't like doing it this way, or you don't like drawing at all.

Just find your own way of doing shit, like for example, just doing a sketch. You can train yourself to make sketches that are perfectly readable and look like finished art.

good luck
>>
>>2387360
you are a fucking self aggrandizing cunt with zero reading comprehension skills. get fucked and get out.
>>
>>2387397
You are what is making /ic/ a cancerous cesspull of shit. Not op, but your replies are useless and just annoying. I share the same problem as op and would like a proper answer, not you trying to be edgy.
>>
>>2387401
the proper answer is literally the answer i gave. practice more and get better.

"I get bored drawing" is not a fucking real question, you have two options

> quit because you'll never be good
> shut up and keep practicing

jesus fuck millenials are pissy annoying cunts. "What's a book that can help me deal with being bored when things get hard?"
>>
>>2387405
I don't think you're really understanding the problem.
>>
>>2387407
Maybe its you who don't understand the problem, hence why you don't have an answer and he does.
>>
>>2387407

no i don't think you understand the problem.

A special quality is being ascribed to this "i find it hard to finish the drawing" problem. It stems from lack of practice.

As a beginner, you sit there and think "I want to draw 100 x-wings fighting 100 t-rexes at the pyramids", but it takes you 30 minutes to draw an x-wing, of course you get bored.

And there's also the building errors, as a beginner, you fuck up a bit of that first x-wing, and by the time you've done 100 you have 100 different mistakes in your drawing, so of course you don't really wanna finish it.

Just fucking practice. I guarantee you OP is a beginner, and that his work is trash, and he's blaming it on this one "aspect" of his shit tier pseudo-intellectual personality, when in reality, he just sucks cuz he hasn't put the hours in yet.

>>2387411
<3
>>
>>2387411
Having an answer doesn't just mean it's correct.
>>2387415
Yeah I guess so.
>>
>>2387420
You won't know its correct until you do it.
>>
>>2387345
>>2387360
You problem is that you're starting with an eye and trying to add on to it. Of course you don't want to, you're going to fuck it up!

Start with an entire composition and fill it in like a puzzle piece. I dunno, draw a room first and then fill that room. Imagine a story.

It sounds like you're boring yourself. Be better and nut up and put some more thought into it.

Also look at- what kind of art do you like? What makes you excited about drawing art? Find inspiration, and hell, just copy it. Finish it.
>>
File: snapshot(2).jpg (196 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
snapshot(2).jpg
196 KB, 900x1200
>>2387405
>>2387415

You sure are in a poor mood today, anon.

I suspect you had a canned idea of what you wanted to say; ranting about millennials and shit artists, before you read my post, and that your answer would've been much the same no matter what I said.

Which isn't terribly helpful you, but I have nothing better to do than respond so I won't hold it against you.

If, for some silly reason, people feel credentials are necessary before advice is given, so be it. I drew this a few minutes ago just for you. I hope you're pleased, even if it's potato quality.

Haven't drawn in months; only used one mech pencil for value, and my neck starting hurting after about 30 minutes, so I'd say it's around %50 of my true powerlevel.

This is roughly the complete extent of my ability to finish a drawing, though. Minor details, rough shading. I typically take interest in one small aspect, to the detriment of everything else, and then I just stop.

Realistically, I should be able to come back in an hour and put more work into this, but if history is any suggestion, my brain will forcibly prevent me from doing so. I will hold my pencil, stare at it for a few minutes, and then simply turn the page without any thought.

Then I will turn back to it, try again, fail again, ad naseum.

You get the idea, I should think. Although if history is any suggestion, perhaps you don't! Har har.
>>
File: 1357978042393.jpg (176 KB, 1030x1400) Image search: [Google]
1357978042393.jpg
176 KB, 1030x1400
>>2387489

Golly, that shadowed section of the wall looks even shittier in the photo. It's supposed to be flat, I assure you.

That's what I get for trying to hatch a straight line from 3 different directions without smudging something.
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (15 KB, 425x286) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.jpg
15 KB, 425x286
start each piece by making thumbnails, op. plan out what you're going to draw before you draw it; starting with an eye and adding on to it isn't going to get you very far. maybe if you have a better idea of what it's supposed to look like when it's done, you'll actually finish it?

it also might just be a lack of enthusiasm, fear of failure or some other thing we can't fix for you
>>
>>2387527
sycra, kek.
>>
Your problem might be that you're being too hard on yourself/too critical of what you put down on paper. Try starting out with an idea of the scene/situation you're going to draw, make the composition, block in the colors, and then detail it.

If you start out by just randomly drawing something, you'll often end up drawing the same thing, like an eye, over and over, so when you try drawing a larger scene, you struggle because you haven't been practising drawing things in different contexts - you've stopped thinking about the eye as part of a face (for example).

If you sit down without a plan, you risk relying on muscle memory (by constant thoughtless repetition) instead of an actual understanding of art.
>>
>>2387489
Can see no constructive approach whatsoever
>>
>>2387317
Like others said, you can't finish something because you don't know how to finish it. You didn't plan enough with thumbnails and doing the necessary research for how to complete what you don't know how to complete.

The other part is practice. Practicing rendering will make you better at rendering. Practicing value will make you better at value. Likewise, practicing finishing a piece will make you better at finishing a piece. It is a skill like any other, and you've omitted it thinking that it's not.

You're the equivalent of someone who's only ever done 100m sprints and think that you can run, but then wonder why you can't run a marathon even though you know how to move one leg in front of the other.

Man up and finish something. You might just be afraid that you'll ruin it, or the finished piece doesn't look like your mental image of what the finished piece should be. Get used to it. Practice finishing pieces, and your finished result will get better in time. Regardless if you're seeking fans or employment through your art, nobody cares about half finished pieces that you abandon. Define what completed should look like, get it 95% there, then it's done.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.