[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you watch Sycra Yassin? What's the general op
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
File: sycrayasin.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sycrayasin.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
Do any of you watch Sycra Yassin? What's the general opinion on him here? Generally I find his videos really helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srK-vV-YzUc
>>
>>2387238
weve had this thread 1000 times over...
>>
>>2387240
Ah, i'm pretty new here
>>
>>2387243
some people discount him on style, others acknowledge his skills and his tutorials. Many say hes better than 99% of i/c. Thats all youll get.
>>
>>2387244

sweet, thanks
>>
>>2387238
I love his videos. He's always so down on himself but I think he's a much better teacher than he gives himself credit for. Then again he must realize it on some level since he even makes the videos and has the forum and all the stuff but listening to him talk you'd never know. There have been so many areas I was struggling with that nothing was helping me even begin to figure out until I watched some of his videos. I need to go through the rest of them, now that I think of it.
>>
>>2387250
Yeah I definitely agree. He was the one that motivated me to start drawing
>>
I really liked the video "Creative use of reference"
gave me an idea on how to use draw in my style with reference
>>
>>2387240
>>2387243
yeah, he`s videos are for aimed at those which want to git gud, which is what also d/ic/ks want, so he comes up at lot of times

and they are usually made by newfags which don't bother to lurk the board a few months before creating their own posts. for regulars is slowly becoming annoying to see the daily/ weekly sycra/ saki/ kjg/ jazza/ 'I want some free art'/'I wanna get a tattoo but don't know what'/ 'what is the secret to becoming good'/ 'do I have talent?'/ 'critique my work'/ threads even though we have questions threads, beginners threads and we are a slow board on top of that, so any worthless new thread might bury a good old one
>>
hes got charisma, but he really is best described as the poor mans (X)

anatomy? hes the poor mans proko
color theory? hes the poor mans Gurney
gesture? hes the poor mans loomis
teaching in general? poor mans feng zu

even his friends overshadow him. bobmeatbag has personality, jetty has evolved into someone who casually streams with giants like ross tran and sinux is just better then him without even trying. Its kind of a shame in the long run that this happend to him since he was an underdog to begin with, self taught from an abusive home, I really wish he was better just so we could say "hey, it doesn't matter where you come from, just try"

not to mention his current decade long rut he's been in. it makes me worry for new artist who are trying to emmulate him

long story short, you can watch and enjoy whoever you want, just be wary of their shortcomings. When it comes down to it though, why would you decide to learn anything from someone who is proven over and over to be second best? don't you deserve the best? I think you do
>>
>>2387238
If Sycra ever reads this, I would want him to know that I am not a big fan of his current work.

But god damn it if I have ever seen someone so viciously not give up on something.
He continues to keep drawing and drawing. I could learn so much more if I put in as much effort.

If I can't admire his work, I can sure as hell admire his efforts.
>>
>>2387238
Dead babies? I find his stuff pretty helpfull.
>>
>>2387238
Not a very good artist and consequentially not someone who should be teaching others. He spreads a lot of disinfo and it's funny to see people here fumbling around trying to get good following his teachings and never getting anywhere.
>>
>>2387238
>Generally I find his videos really helpful

Then why does it matter what anyone else thinks?
>>
I think his work speaks for it's self. (It's shit.)

If this is the guy you want to be learning art from go ahead, but I'd say there are far better resources out there.
>>
File: c_Andrew.jpg (47 KB, 433x824) Image search: [Google]
c_Andrew.jpg
47 KB, 433x824
>>2387421
Looks ok to me...
>>
>>2387238

Hey Sycra how's it going?
>>
>>2387421
why is her body twisted like that
>>
>>2387238
I think we are all kind a mad about his style because it's kinda .... ugly . But you can't deny his skills and stuff
>>
>>2387421
So what are those far better resources ?
>>
>>2387486
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawWithJazza
g'day ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>2387502
Is this the cringe thread now?
>>
>>2387502
God i really dislike Jazza's drawing style, but he has really good tutorials, particularly the flash ones.
>>
I swear this an obligatory monthly thread
>>
>>2387486
Read the sticky.
>>
>>2387302
Actually i quite like his art. but then again i like jazza's stuff and it is quite mediocre. different strokes for different folks i guess. Whats important is that he tries and at least does his best to help others learn.
>>
>>2387548
Whenever I look at something made by jazza I realise that he has been at it for years and this is what he produces and I shudder just thinking about being that shit after that much time, I don't want something like that to happen to me.
>>
>>2387486
Books?
>>
>>2387463
>I think we are all kind a mad about his style because it's kinda .... ugly
Speak for yourself, I love his style.
>>
>>2387421
He really has no sense of style or form.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (33 KB, 234x355) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
33 KB, 234x355
>>2387421
used that anal bead reference
>>
>>2387553
Yeah. I checked his art on newgrounds and it looks terrible. His animation tutorials aren't that bad, though.
>>
Sycra is a good artist, maybe not "top tier" but he's done professional illustration jobs before and probably could be making a living off them now if he didn't quit.

I honestly think his current style obfuscates his actual skill level. I don't have a problem with anime but the way he's trying to make every character have some pointy shape language hurts his designs and makes him look worse than he actually is.

Scyra actually has some good points on style , but I think hes taken it too far. Focusing on it to the detriment of his work.
>>
File: zhhC35i.png (309 KB, 477x380) Image search: [Google]
zhhC35i.png
309 KB, 477x380
>>2387793
fucking tasties kek ever
>>
>>2387302
desu it's jets extroverted personality that gets him streaming with the bigger channels, definitely not his art
>>
Discovered him very recently and I must say that his videos are helpful and inspirational.

I don't like the other guy that sounds like a smartass and was with him in a live stream, even if his drawing are neat.
>>
>>2387238
>not watching sycra version 2.0
https://www.youtube.com/user/revolutions34
>>
>>2387909
i like this guy
thanks anon
>>
>>2387238
Scyra is annoying and often as autist spasms which make it impossible to listen to him.
"you just- uh- er- duh"
>>
>>2387502
>When your art is so horrendous it becomes a meme
>>
>>2387891
yup
>>
>>2387909
Thank you. It's hilarious, they look so similar but holy hell does this guy kick his ass
>>
>>2387238
He's a mediocre artist but I like listening to some of the things he has to say.

I think it's important to remember that just because someone isn't skilled in an area, that doesn't mean they aren't capable of giving valid advice. You can know how to do something but not be able to achieve it yourself.

That being said, you don't need the bible to teach you basic morals. As in, a lot of the things he says isn't anything groundbreaking or something you couldn't hear from someone else with more knowledge and experience. But I don't think listening to him is detrimental for the most part.
>>
>>2387905
>>2387909
oh that's him, he's fucking horrible how can anyone listen to him for more than 20 seconds

sycra is far better
>>
>>2387909
Aah, I like him, thanks for sharing!
>>
File: 1CKtg.jpg (70 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1CKtg.jpg
70 KB, 540x540
>>2388097
I think he's worse, both in skill and presentation of his videos

he sounds so full of himself

also what can he draw besides cute girls facing front?
>>
>>2388290
>I think he's worse, both in skill and presentation of his videos

presentation of his video is a personal perspective. if theres something about his confidence that bothers you then that fine, but

http://medders.deviantart.com/art/Birds-499245977
(from 2 years ago)
vs
http://www.deviantart.com/notifications/#view=deviations%3A3233933
(about to replace merc.wip)
Like, I know its bait. I really do. I don't want to bite but god-danm how far are you willing to blindly defend someone? But whatever, the whole thing is objective, just don't fall for the same shortcomings if you plan on learning from sycra
>>
>>2387909
>Sycra from different timeline
>>
>>2388349
>http://www.deviantart.com/notifications/#view=deviations%3A3233933

I can't seem to see that second link.

I'm not blindly defending Sycra, actually I don't care that much, proof is I talked without knowing much and you're right when you're pointing that. I didn't know Ahmed had a DA (and your link is okay, but it's more a sketch and you could call it style of whatev but it still feels unfinished, if there's something he's gotten good at in two years it's polish or I don't remember how you call this here).

It doesn't feel like there's such a huge gap between the two, but Sycra seem to vary much more his type of drawings, styles and he also seems to appreciate learning and trying new things, when Ahmed like cute girls, Sycra likes art (I've seen that spontaneous drawing video where he talked about letting the urge guide you or something, thought that was nice).
>>
>>2387238
I like his videos, generally.
But I absolutely loathe his colour choices and some design choices.
I get it, you want to be unique and interesting and whatever. It just looks stupid at times.
>>
His art is okay but he's never really helped me with anything teaching-wise. Being good at art won't necessarily make you a good teacher and sometimes you can be a good teacher but not be that great at technical stuff. IMO Mark Chong (tenminutedrawingtechniques aka le-mec) is a very good teacher and his philosophy has helped me out a lot. He's taught dot to dot and just pushes for feeling perspective intuitively
>>
>>2388814
Definitely agree on the color and design choices. He needs to get his shit together and learn more on thathimself.
>>
>>2389003
For his choices I don't know, but his videos about colors (how to choose colors that works, and the other one similar) is good I think? I'm not very skilled but I didn't understand shit about colors before that. It seemed quite intuitive.
>>
>>2389006
See here's the issue, most Sycra sympathizers aren't very good at art lol. You're not even sure of the subject matter and you're defending him because he taught you a little bit. Like what somebody said before, he's not the best guy to go to. If you want someone for colors there's better choices.
>>
>>2389028
Alright I'm ok to believe you. I still think that Sycra's at least someone nice to listen to, I kind of like his philosophy and approach to art.

Would be nice to provide some links or names though.
>>
>>2389028
I asked around about where to learn color for months. I got recommended the usual stuff, doing studies, read Gurney, but I couldn't get access to the Gurney book. The things I could get access to were making no sense to me whatsoever. Sycra helped me break through that and finally start understanding what color is all about. It's just like when I was learning anatomy for the first time and nothing made sense to me until I looked at How to Draw Manga, because that broke it down in a way I could understand. You can always say there are "better" people to go to, but learning isn't one size fits all so it's careless to dismiss Sycra as a potentially great teacher for some people because he doesn't work for you.
>>
>>2387523
Sycra is one of the recommendations in the fucking sticky, lol.
>>
>>2387502
he might be a shit artist, but Jazza is aesthetic as fuck and fun to watch
>>
>>2389579

Holy kek even shaddy is in there.

Someone should seriously update it.
>>
I can't watch the dude. He takes too long to get his points across. If he'd edit his shit, have note cards to keep himself on point, or whatever I think he could have been very helpful when I first started.
>>
>>2387238
look up this chick on youtube "Istebrak"
she is good too , very technical she knows her stuff.
>>
>>2390450
Thanks, I'll check her out
>>
>>2388290
>he sounds so full of himself
If you ever watch more than a few of his videos, you'll find out that he's extremely critical of his work.
Even in some of his more recent videos he expresss a lot of self-loathing, and he doubts himself for not having suitable skill for his age.
>>
I like him as a teacher, I recognize his skills and I respect his balls as an artist even if his art doesn't fit my taste all the time. The dude knows, and even if his style is not massively appealing, he could take any of us here and review our artworks and improve them because he's been doing this for a while, and he knows and is better than most of us.
>>
>>2387909
>says sakimichan is incredibly talented
DROPPED REEE
>>
>>2387793
rofl
>>
Sycra knows what he's doing, his insights on art are usually correct and his knowledge is usually accurate, and it's all presented in a pretty good way.

The only problem is that he has a really disgusting style.
>>
>>2392486
He has disgusting personal style but when he applies his knowledge fully it's great. See >>2387428
>>
File: ca_ro.jpg (195 KB, 1023x394) Image search: [Google]
ca_ro.jpg
195 KB, 1023x394
wtf man
>>
>>2392084
She is skilled though, as much as /ic/ hates to admit.
>>
>>2393175
Fat mullet dyke.
>>
>>2393177
But incredibly talented? Craig Mullins is incredibly talented, Kim Jung Gi is incredibly talented, Ian Mccaig is incredibly talented. Hearing that sakimichan is, coming from Ed, is just dissapointing to me.
>>
>>2393272
Ugh. Here we go with this conversation again.

So you mean to tell me that sakimi's work is average at best? You may not like her business practices and her articular artstyle/subject may not cater to you, buy you're going to sit here and say that sakimi is not above average skill.
>>
really shitty artist

a pussy ass artist that is always too scared to try new things, its like 'oh i dont like environment so i wont draw environment'.

been doing art for 20 years and is still shit. i dont know what the fuck is wrong with him.

always bringing that burden around his shoulder 'oh my parents beat me, it made me depressed, so its okay that i suck'

he says he draws everyday, so what? you wont improve if you draw shit everyday.

i watch his videos just to feel good about myself

has hedious style

shouldnt be teaching. his students will probably ended up better than him in 2 years
>>
i hate sycra
he is disgusting. maybe he puts a lot of money and time in marketing his work. He is despicable and very overrated
>>
I'm seeing a lot of people criticizing him but no one is really handing out names in the end, and if they do there's no follow up.

I'm a beginner, who could I be watching aside from Sycra and Ahmed please? I personally found both nice. Thanks.
>>
sycra sucks in terms of drawing skills, especially when trying to stylize. but he's not completely horrible when it comes to painting and rendering stuff.

>>2393620
proko
matt archambault
>>
I do like him as the person he is. I don't like his style tho.
>>
there are artists that you want to emulate, and there are artists that you want to avoid. sycra is the latter. cant believe someone can fail so hard.
>>
>>2393574
Incredibly talented>Good>Above average>Average>Below average>Bad>Terrible.

I'm not saying she's average at all, but after the constant, easy to nitpick fuckups I see every time she uploads a new piece, I wouldn't consider her incredibly talented. That is all, not trying to start any heated debate or anything.
>>
>>2393625
Thanks, will check them out.

I agree with what most people are saying though, Sycra has a really nice personality, is really humble and nice to listen to, but I can't say I'm liking what he does. On the other hand, I rather like Ahmed's skills but dislike his arrogance and huge ego. For the latter though it's not like anyone has to get triggered by it, after all I'm watching his videos for what he's showing so if you ignore his ego-centrism or don't take it to heart he's fine to watch.
>>
>80 posts
>53 posters
Don't feel too bad Sycra, there's probably more than one samefag, posting his negative opinion two or more times. Not everyone in this thread hates you or your work, only a lot of them!
>>
File: sycraa.png (2 MB, 1024x1451) Image search: [Google]
sycraa.png
2 MB, 1024x1451
>>2394807
He's a pretty good artist it just... his art style.

How can anybody think this is appealing?
>>
>>2394827
does he ever do clean lineworks?
>>
>>2394829
Yea, but that one pic is a sketch. I kinda like the messy look tho t b h.
>>
>>2394827
I love the colors and overall energy in it. There are things I would draw differently if I were drawing it but nothing in it that makes me truly dislike it and keep me from finding it appealing.
>>
>>2394827
This would look far better if the selection tool he used to clean up the edges of the colors hadn't also been used to delete the line-art as well.

This is why it looks odd, especially on that left arm and hand...the silhouette is strictly being formed by his color work which is totally fine, however the lines forming things such as the thumb just disappear into the edge of the color because he deleted parts of them when doing the colors.

Even as a rough piece, this just makes me think that he merged everything and THEN did some cropping to clean things up, rather than giving the color and lines a bit more love separately.
>>
>>2393847
Ahmed has shit taste in females. He's a fucken low test fag.
>>
What does everyone think of Sycra's iterative drawing practice method? I think it might help those who don't try and use what they learned doing imaginative works enough. Help get the imagination drawing miles in. A nitpick I'd see is how he thought of the way to practice composition. Just going off blind luck in what looks good might not work without knowing compositional basics.
>>
sycra cant be good because he is an indian, most indians are not good at art, there is only one indian that is good at art so far, and thats george hull. same for arabs, they arent good at art either. if you want to be good at art, be white, asian or black or polish or mexican.

and i dont get why so many people like sycra, lets look at an example of an artist that draws less than him, Alex Negrea. he used to be shittier than sycra, look at his work now. compare the two, dont fucking tell me sycra is good.
>>
>>2395231
>dont fucking tell me sycra is good.

Sycra is [spoiler]good[/spoiler]
>>
>>2394827
I hate his style.
>>
Stay classy ic
>>
>>2393613
post your art
>>
>>2387428
this is so bad man. I have never seen a caricature lack as much personality as this thing.
>>
>>2395231
He's actually Romanian.
>>
I like Sycra, I really do.
He's got skill and some of his videos are informational but Jesus fuck does that guy know how to say absolutely nothing in a fuck ton of words. He's not nearly as charming or interesting to listen to as his friends (like Sinix or Bobmeatbag) and I personally find his personal art style to be obnoxious to look at.
>>
>>2395231
Yeah, drawing is a gene. Indians don't have that gene. Also Sycra is definitely indian based on him being brown and not romanian like everyone fucking knows already, right?
>>
I dont get it. Is he really that weak that he doesnt improve at all? Doesnt that stuff make people depressed? He really is mediocre as fuck.
>>
I like Sycra for his coloring and lighting videos.
My favorite jewtuber is Alphonso Dunn though, gives some pretty good lessons on fundamentals and drawing with a pen
>>
>>2396813
I think it helps that Alphonso Dunn is an actual teacher (even if his subject isn't art) He knows how to explain things in an easily digestible way.
>>
>>2397095
What does he teach?
>>
>>2396709
Says the guy posting on 4Chan.

What do you mean by improve, anyway? Change his style to something you prefer, because I'm fairly sure he can lay down what he wants and how he wants to lay down whenever the fuck he pleases. Once you are able to do that, did you not successfully learn how to draw? Or do you only consider people masters who lay down realistic work like the "masters."

It's almost like many of you have no idea what illustration is.
>>
>>2397103
High school chemistry I think.
>>
he has no common sense, i m sure syra is thinking that if he works hard enough, his style will look better. nope! he dont have common sense. not everything comes from hard work.
>>
>>2397255
Like grammar. Some people are smart enough to comprehend it, others aint not smart enough.
>>
File: Iruka.png (176 KB, 488x439) Image search: [Google]
Iruka.png
176 KB, 488x439
Haven't watched Naruto since it came out, but sycra kind of reminds me of this fella.
>>
>>2395231
>>>/pol/

>>2395662
He was born in Canada. His girlfriend is Romanian.
>>
>>2397134
His style is made up to cover his weaknesses, he is pathetic for the amount of time he actually spent for drawing.
>>
>>2395231
If that is true, im unsubscribing his channel

fucking niggers i aint sink that low
>>
>>2397363
HOLY SHIT LOL.
>>
>>2397369
Odd, because he aims for that style. So when he breaks down heads all Loomis-style, it's all an accident? Lucky fuck.
>>
>>2397364
>wife
>>
>>2387238
he looks like a shitty artist to me. not that im any better, his drawings just have this generic anime comic book style tht pisses me off so much i cant even force myself to click on one of his videos.
>>
I think he's got great rendering chops, and a good standard approach. But his work is extremely boring and impersonal, and lacks emotional content.

That being said, if you want to learn how to DRAW, then yes he's a good guy to learn from because he's a weirdo nerd like you guys and can probably explain it like you need to hear.

But what if you want to learn how to make art???? Well I'm afraid that's more up to you than him.
>>
>>2387302

Part of his appeal is probably that he's not a bad teacher, and even if he isn't the best at anything, he's good enough at everything and it's convenient to have a quick resource for everything.

He may not be the idea to strive for, but he breaks things down well, both visually and orally, which can help a lot of people with different learning styles. I'm sort of a learn by seeing sort, so watching his stuff really sunk in a lot faster than some of the books have, even if they were teaching the same thing.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.