[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just lost a potential client because I undercharged. at 200$/day.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_m76ihmJ6mX1rbpawfo1_500.jpg (81 KB, 466x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m76ihmJ6mX1rbpawfo1_500.jpg
81 KB, 466x720
I just lost a potential client because I undercharged. at 200$/day. This would have been my second non-private client ever. Because things started out super casual and friendly I had no issues chatting a bit after being rejected for the project. I conceded being somewhat of a rookie and asked for feedback and input on why I did not get the gig despite my work sparking interest. Straight up was told my daily rate revealed me as being inexperienced.

Interesting isn't it.

So doing some thinking I came to the conclusion that past a certain point staying on /ic/ is purely toxic. Because it will make you convinced you are just never good enough. This is great for growth and development, technically, but incredibly harmful at the same time because you will always undercharge, and under-selfpromote. Both of which will hold you back massively if you want to transition into making art an eventual full time job.
>>
>>2385726
u tryin to imply niggers only use 10% of their brain?
>>
>>2385726
well, they're not wrong. that's $25/h which sounds good but you're a contractor. That means you have to provide for yourself everything that an employer normally does for you. What you told them is that you'd essentially be willing to work for them for a take home pay of around $16/h

Some people are willing to take advantage of those who undercharge, some won't hire you because it's a sign of inexperience and they want a professional. Do a little research next time and don't forget that how much you get paid is a negotiation. Find out what you should be paid and ask for at least the medium.

Don't blame IC for your inexperience. This has nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with you not knowing how the real world works. Use google next time
>>
Post your work please?
>>
>>2385735

This, pretty please?
>>
Well I think /ic/ is "toxic" as well but it has more to do with it being a total echo chamber where people speak in a authoritarian manner on subjects they don't know anything about (mostly comes from them parroting what some mediocre-popular artists has previously said).
>>
>>2385726
You said it yourself that you are somewhat of a rookie, so being told that they said no because you are inexperienced is your own fault. Don't pin the blame on someone or something else.
>>
>>2385726
Sounds like you were talking to a headhunter...don't take it too hard.

They cast a wide net then filter.
>>
>>2385726
>blaming others for your own shortcomings

Y-y-yeah... It's /ic/'s fault!
>>
Well, google images shows you're Taj Francis.

Based on your tumblr, I think you should probably ask for 32/hr. And then maybe factor in materials. A commision should negotiate. You should educate yourself on what you were asked to do.
>>
>>2388403

i'm not taj francis man.
>>
>>2388404
If you're being modest, you're really great.

If you really are, then post your work, and we'll tell you how much you're legitly worth. I'm honest af.
>>
>>2385726
>basing important life decisions and assessing your own self worth based on the opinions of strangers over the internet
You deserve whatever happened to to you
>>
>>2388177
>>2388418

go outside more, OP
>>
>>2385726
>Interesting isn't it.

What's interesting about that?
>>
>>2385726
I work as a freelance graphic designer and I've never heard of this lol. I started out charging a lower rate than you and I still got oodles of clients. If your work is good and you charge a low rate a customer won't walk away. Chances are you said something they didn't like and they found an easy out. Stay mad that your own autism lost you a job, not /ic/.
>>
>>2385726
just curious what type of work was being contracted, and if its not to much to ask, could you post some of your work ?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.