[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any downsides for using illustrator rather and photoshop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: adobe illu.png (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
adobe illu.png
31 KB, 400x400
Are there any downsides for using illustrator rather and photoshop for paintings? I know illustrator is good for simple things that can be scaled infinitely.
>>
Not sure if trolling or not...learn about the difference between vector (Ai) and pixel (Ps)
>>
good luck painting with vectors you dumb faggot
>>
>>2385323
You better have one fucking hell of a computer to paint with vectors.
>>
>>2386004
>>2386697
>>2387041
Nagel's art are considered paitnings you dumbfucks.

If that's what you are going for then yes illustrator is just fine. A lot of artists use it.
>>
>>2387072
don't be so butthurt anon. i advised on learning the difference between pixel and vector, so the OP would know what to expect from different programs.
you can hardly actually paint in Ai but that desn't mean you can't create good art with it.
>>
>>2385323
If you want scalability, try Mischief. It's a vector-based painting program.
www.madewithmischief.com/
>>
>>2387283
not OP, but that looks very interesting, thanks anon!
>>
File: Burg finished.jpg (116 KB, 408x714) Image search: [Google]
Burg finished.jpg
116 KB, 408x714
>>2385323
I am a freelance graphic artist (layouts not logos) and I use both for the "art" that I create. Learn to use both. There are some things Ai does really well but you can always start something in Ai and then bring it into Ps to finish. Textures for instance are a lot easier to work with in Ps after you complete a vector piece.

Yes I know it's shit, and there is a reason I do layout vs anything that requires real talent. Bottom line is Ai can make some dope shit if you learn to use it and remember that Ps is also powerful when combined with Ai.
>>
They're both good programs in what they do, but each program was developed with its own goal in mind and as such the way they work is fundamentally different. It's a bit like comparing painting in gouache with crafting paper cut-out collages.
You're not going to get a brushy/painterly effect with Illustrator, but if you're going for a look with sharp edges and very consistent/even flats and gradients it'd be quite suitable.

If the scaling is that big a factor, there's actually decent third-party software that lets you paint in vector like you would in bitmap, such as Mischief and Black Ink. But working at a high resolution (300-600dpi) in a raster-based program and scaling down before upload would be a perfectly sensible solution too.
>>
>>2389408
How do you find people willing to pay you for something so simple?
>>
>>2389831
Have you seen ikea things? Minimalism like this is hip and cool but at the same time requires knoledge in fundamentals that normies just cant understand
>>
>>2389831
Did you not read my post? To be fair I did fuckup calling myself a graphic artist vs a designer which is what I really am, but I did clearly state I do layouts not logos or any real "art". Layouts is mostly drawing boxes and lines and listening to client's say, "It needs more pop!"
>>
>>2389408
This vector drawing was just me fucking around not me posting in my portfolio
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.