[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critique
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 20
File: hobooninternet.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1151) Image search: [Google]
hobooninternet.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1151
New work any opinions?

Name: Loosing Faith in Technology and Politics
>>
File: trailermodified.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1502) Image search: [Google]
trailermodified.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1502
Trailer Park Maintenance With a Master (update)
>>
File: trainstationhustlerreactions.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1167) Image search: [Google]
trainstationhustlerreactions.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1167
The Train Station Hustlers Poem
>>
File: dyingmotherreactionslighter.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1362) Image search: [Google]
dyingmotherreactionslighter.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1362
The Young Dying Mother
>>
File: night.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1394) Image search: [Google]
night.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1394
Night By The Sea
>>
>>2385073
masters*
>>
I don't think these are very good.
>>
>>2385109
Alright, why not?
>>
>>2385072
how often do you plan on making this exact thread?

you're approaching illastrat-levels of trolling.
>>
>>2385114
Nah I'm not trollin. If I posted corny super-sexy fantasy maidens meticulously rendered in photoshop do you think I'd get more love? Maybe that's what I should do
>>
>>2385119
there's a lot of art that exists in between the extremes of "fantasy maidens" and "try-hard meme shit"
>>
what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>2385174
thinking too much about his revolutionary concepts and trying to say something, instead of making work that's actually culturally significant and interesting to look at.

common for kids in undergraduate art programs. usually you grow out of it.
>>
File: IMG_0651.jpg (80 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0651.jpg
80 KB, 667x1000
>>2385180
popping in to say fuck you every saturday is what i live for.

at least my "revolutionary dank memes undergraduate art" period was a bit more interesting, and didn't last nearly as long as this guy's.

this guy just sucks.
>>
>>2385180

Post your work from your undergrad "phase" and your work now where you've "grown out of it" I'm curious
>>
>>2385072
What's up Illustrat?!
>>
>>2385217
Aw that hurts man. Why u bein a dick. I'm really fucking tired of rendering/drawing I just can't do it anymore. So I'm drawing loose and taking care of it with found photography.
>>
>>2385217
You guys honestly give illustrat more shit than he deserves
>>
>>2385295
Shut up illastrat!
>>
File: 1448740686959.gif (3 MB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1448740686959.gif
3 MB, 200x250
why am i laughing at this
>>
>>2385078
i like this one.

otherwise, textures are WAY too heavy handed every time, and are hurting the pieces. despite /ic/ babble about photobashing being the easiest hack ever, is kind of hard learning to integrate pictures in a painting. just keep doing it until it looks less shitty.
>>
I don't like any of them because the blended in photos are insincere, I feel
The faces are creepy not emotional
>>
File: 1445456602736.png (131 KB, 554x594) Image search: [Google]
1445456602736.png
131 KB, 554x594
This better be memes
>>
it's a bunch of lazy bullshit.
>>
This is art made to look like art by someone who hasn't seen much art post 1950s. Theres a whole post-internet art movement out there, and this guy seems to think he's the first to do internet related art somehow. Get a grip buddy. I don't know why, but something with this guys arrogance is really making me angry and provoked. I can't really express it in text, but arrrgh, I want to punch this guy and I don't know exactly why
>>
Nuke this thread from orbit. It's the only way for OP to git gud.
>>
>>2385835
I've seen a ton of art post 1950s. I've been to the Venice Biannual, I've been through art theory classes. I don't like conceptual art. The stuff inspired by dada, philosophy, science, thoughts not feelings, existential questions. The kind of stuff Nicholas Serota at the Tate loves. I used to make work like that, now I have a problem with it. It's fake and pretentious.

I'm looking at hip hop a lot, I want to make art about what I actually see going down in reality, not something that responds to a text book.
>>
File: leaving-adjustments.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1103) Image search: [Google]
leaving-adjustments.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1103
Also I modified this one quite a bit, maybe it works better now
>>
>>2385835
I know they look a little too post impressionism. Maybe if I just filled everything with found photos/photbashing and got rid of any of the outlined drawn parts it would fix it.
>>
>>2385203
>name is illastrat
>posts brian's work
are you just a really bad troll or what exactly?
>>
>>2385212
post your work. fuck off kid
>>
>>2385954
not that anon, but I also want to punch you in the face. please stop posting.
>>
>>2386024

Likewise

>>2386023

Brain exploded
>>
>>2386026
Wanting to punch me in the face isn't a valid critique, I can't use that.
>>
>>2386032
>isn't a valid critique, I can't use that.
give us one example of a valid critique, or when anyone has given you advice and you actually used it.

anytime anyone says "actually learn to draw" you say "I already can". wtf do we do with that. you can't. why are you so convinced you are past fundamentals when you clearly aren't. there is literally no excuse to be making this lazy work other than that you are burning out and you never liked making art in the first place ( which shows in all your "amazing" previous work). you have literally never done anything that doesn't look like a high school art project. get your shit together anon. go get a job at one of those drink and paint places teaching people how to copy photographs cause that's about as far as i see your art career going.
>>
>>2386067
inb4 "okay" from OP

anon thinks he's hit on something new and exciting and we just aren't seeing it. just as delusional as illastrat
>>
>>2386071
Nah I don't think I've hit anything. I'm 20 years old in kansas I have zero chance of making anything actually innovate at this point in my career. I'm aiming at trying to do that in my late 20s-30s once I move to the east coast. I'm just trying to find what I want to do.

>>2386067
I don't think I'm "better" or "past" fundamentals, I just don't have any interest in doing it. I have permission to do that, I'm an artist I can do whatever the hell I want.
>>
>>2386073
>I'm an artist I can do whatever the hell I want.
aw you're adorable.

that attitude is ridiculous. so you think there's "fundamentals" and then there's what? what's the other option? what you are making?

what you are doing isnt wildly different than fundamentals, it's just that what you are currently doing is like a shitty form of fundamentals. Instead of learning to your full potential you are getting the smallest amount of practice you can and spending the most amount of time doing so.

so let's dissect what it is you are doing. You are drawing from imagination and drawing from photos im guessing. That means instead of drawing from life which gives you exact things to imitate and knowledge of how to work from things like changing light sources and moving subjects you are working from imagination. Imagination means you have an image in your mind and you try to copy that exactly onto paper which means maybe every 100 lines you put down a line that's exact from you're imagination. So instead of every line teaching you something every 100 lines teaches you something.

And photographs are a little bit better, but you instead are only learning to draw the most basic forms ( basically learning to draw a piece of paper over and over again because that's the form a picture has is a 2d pattern on a flat object) instead of learning to draw say cloth or figures or landscapes. And once again you are guessing forms of objects from your imagination based on the photo, which means again it takes a ton of lines to actually learn something.

So you are practicing fundamentals, you are just going about it the dumbest way possible. If I had to make a suggestion it would be to draw from life every day and stop working in color and for gods sake stop doing what you are doing now.

you can't escape reality, kid.
>>
>>2386102

What is this 1870. Were interested in different markets. I'm want to get into the avant garde gallery market. Nobody in that market wants to see academic realism studies. For you it matters, for me very classical realism just makes my work look more old fashion.
>>
>>2386073
if you're not going to put effort into the formalism of your art you had better have damn compelling content, or you have nothing. At the moment I find your content uninteresting at best, and offensively tasteless at worst. The pasted in photos are especially offensive, you would be much better off drawing the faces into the environment rather than doing a lazy-as-fuck cut and paste gimmick

Mostly though it's amateur to the point of unintelligibility. Night by the sea is your only redeemable piece, the drawing is treated nicely, but the lazy cut and paste treatment is ruining it. If you really need the faces in there, draw them in, and do something clever with the markmaking.

Literally the first word in the title of the first piece you posted is a fucking typo you dilettante piece of garbage
>>
>>2386116
>avant garde gallery market

Unless you're trying to launder money, or are a crippled transexual muslim women, I have bad news for you friend
>>
>>2386130
plz give me a rundown on how to launder money in high-end art markets, I think I could be really good at it.
>>
>>2386130

Nah I think the art market can change. Things are really stagnant right now. It's going to take a lot of time though and a strong effort from whatever group wants to break into it.
>>
>>2386143
If you're OP and this is what you're banking on you'd be better off playing the lottery
>>
>>2386116
but dude you aren't avant garde anything. you are drawing figures in scenes. it's just poorly drawn people. you can't even draw a hand from what I can tell. You can't capture likeness in faces, you can't do convincing proportions or perspectives. You don't have interesting markmaking either. it's so lacking in every area.

At least learn to fucking omg why am i even typing this you are hopeless. learn to draw and stop being stupid.
>>
File: self portrait.jpg (118 KB, 816x979) Image search: [Google]
self portrait.jpg
118 KB, 816x979
>>2386148

These are self portraits I drew and painted from a mirror
>>
File: selfportrait2.jpg (211 KB, 729x1097) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait2.jpg
211 KB, 729x1097
>>
File: rembrandt drawing.jpg (325 KB, 438x600) Image search: [Google]
rembrandt drawing.jpg
325 KB, 438x600
>>2386148
I love these ink drawing rembrandt did. They are super loose, usually composition studies. He wasn't trying very hard. They've fascinated me for years. That's kind of what I'm looking at.
>>
>>2385109
you lie anony, why you lie?? this to be master piss!!
>>
>>2386153
>>2386155
nobody cares
>>
File: 1414541102318.jpg (159 KB, 1024x1030) Image search: [Google]
1414541102318.jpg
159 KB, 1024x1030
>>2386139
You are able to produce items from essentially nothing that the government will believe have very high value. So if you are obtaining illicit funds from somewhere, an extremely easy manner to funnel that money back to you in an apparently legal way is to produce this shit tier "avant garde" art, a task that requires little to no skill, investment, or time, and have someone purchase it with your own dirty money.

>>2386143
The high end art market literally exists for money laundering and pretension enabling. If you aren't capable of producing functional art, either art for civilian consumption, interior decoration, or commercial production, and are also not a criminal or a novelty that enables people to pretend to understand and appreciate literal garbage, you will never make money off art.
>>
>>2386159
>wants to be avant garde
>trying to copy rembrandt
>thinks rembrandt didn't try much
>thinks he shouldn't have to try hard to draw like rembrandt

confirmed for knowing nothing about the dutchman

>thinks after he proves he can draw decent self portraits it means he doesn't have to try in any of his other drawings

confirmed for never gonna make it
>>
>>2386165
The high end art market is bull shit right now, this generation needs to fix the fuck ups of our parents generation with their nihilistic hyper academic stuff.
>>
>>2386153
i fucking know. you've posted this a thousand times before. you gonna send the DA link next? what makes you think that you should just stop now? because you are bored? it's not about being bored dude in a year you are going to look back on all this wasted time and realize you should've just been doing more life drawing. Any time spent otherwise is a waste of time.

You are getting too caught up in the myths of being an artist. It's about finding the right thing to practice that makes you better the fastest.

Think for a second about the most anti-establishment thing you could possibly do. It isn't MORE conceptual wankery, it's becoming a great painter of life. You are too caught up in this idea of finding a message that makes you rich over night. You are too young to be worried about fame and fortune and starting a career. What is so wrong with taking your time and having humility about what you can't do yet.

If your whole thing is you stopped learning fundamentals because it got too hard I have 0 sympathy for you. Being able to fight through boredom is a skill in it's own right.
>>
>>2386116
your problem is that you're not an avant garde artist, you're a mediocre n00b who is trying WAY too hard to be deep, conceptual, innovative, and cutting-edge, and failing at all of those things. Just do you man, stop trying so hard to be profound and different.
>>
>>2386165
>and have someone purchase it
this someone needs to be reasonably wealthy through legit channels before you can start laundering yea? or otherwise i'd imagine the irs can detect the fraud.
>>
>>2386170

He wasn't trying very hard in those drawings man. He tried extremely hard in his actual work that he sold, his oil paintings and etchings. His ink drawings were play time he was having fun. That's why I enjoy looking at them so much. There's a lot of freedom and spontaneity. You'd never see that side of him if you just look at the commercial stuff. I realize being inspired by Rembrandt is sort of taboo if your looking at the avant garde market but fuck it.
>>
>>2386172
"nihilistic hyper academic stuff" has not been popular for decades in the mainstream art market. What the fuck are you talking about you literal retard.
>>
>>2386183
>His ink drawings were play time he was having fun.
that doesn't mean YOU can draw like REMBRANDT by NOT TRYING

RBT was compelled by the force of his spirituality into his work, the very salvation of his eternal soul is what he was working about.

Even when he relaxed and played, which I agree he is doing, his relaxation was relative to a level of intensity that YOU WILL NEVER REACH BY JUST FUCKING AROUND
>>
>>2386186
he's posting from the early 1800s you'll have to excuse him
>>
>>2386186

When I say hyper academic I mean stuff that's about art theory. Stuff with long artist statements. Hirst, Koons, conceptual art. All the guys with masters degrees where they wrote a thesis and think its essential to good art.
>>
>>2386186
This.
First of all, digital art barely figures into this market. Secondly, a lot of the contemporary art I come across is extremely visceral, emphasizing texture and form and occupying physical space.

Because if you're not saying anything or making narrative work, you have to be visually interesting.

These images say nothing, it's just shitty looking meme faces with no thought for composition or cohesion, which sum up to no introspection or emotional response.

Just because you made an OK but muddy portrait a year or two ago doesn't mean you can shit in your hand and call it art.
>>
>>2386193
>Koons
>hirst
>hyper academic

Ha ha ha you are clueless
>>
>>2386193
that's your problem. you're not busy slaving away in front of a canvas or on a tablet, you're sitting in an armchair with a notepad thinking about writing a try-hard thesis instead of making art that's interesting.
>>
>>2386186
When I said nihilistic I meant a general attitude of meaninglessness, anti religion, they love words like "mundane". They love dada, kitsch and warhol pop art. What Gerhardt Richter and Koons got big for. Also bill viola loves talking about the mundane.
>>
>>2386196
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit
>>
>>2386197
They are hyper academic. They are the product of a conceptual art institution that dominates the collegiate art programs. And they've contributed to making it even more dominate than it was before.
>>
lol, this is just really bizarre, I kind of like it tbhonestfam. Like what's the point of all the faces?
>>
>>2386203

The faces are reaction images, they are meant to work the same way reaction images do online. They tell an emotion through an expression.
>>
File: 10_int.jpg (55 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
10_int.jpg
55 KB, 303x311
>>2386205
>>2386202
>>2386200
>>2386193
>>
>>2386205
it's such a freshman art student solution though. instead of building an image that conveys the emotion you're looking for, you just blatantly slap sad faces or laughy faces all over an image. it's too ham-fisted to ever work. continue blindly down this path if you want, but don't be surprised if those New York art galleries won't return your calls.
>>
>>2386218
I agree. He isn't letting the drawing give off the emotion, but the faces plastered all over it.
>>
>>2386222
>>2386218

Thinking of it wrong. Realism or a photo is kind of like poetry. It gives you a very specific kind of story but there isn't any content that is purely emotional. You feel the emotion by understanding the story. If you add music to poetry it creates a mood that compliments the lyrics and you can tell more complex or subtle stories. Thats how I see reaction images. They just convey emotion with no context.

So for example without reaction images that night painting would just be a night landscape. Using expressions though I can create a mood that more complex, I can communicate excitement and giddiness on top of it. I could probably do it with just a scene but it would probably end up contrived in that instance. Basically I'm trying to find tools that allow me to say more specific kind of things.
>>
File: youtried.jpg (337 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
youtried.jpg
337 KB, 750x1000
okay so i gave it a try. as i expected this "amazing technique" teaches you nothing and is completely unsatisfying to execute on.

the biggest thing I realized doing this was that the reaction images are completely fucking pointless because if you were any fucking good at what you do your drawing would already convey the emotion and get the proper reaction out of your audience without needing to cover it in "hints" at what you were trying to convey with your shit artwork.

kek of the highest caliber.
>>
>>2386231
this is just a bunch of defensive bullshit

your work is contrived now
you're not creating complex moods
you're not communicating excitement or anything emotional like that because you're too ham-fisted and unsubtle with the application of your lazy cut and paste face gimmick.

thank me for my critique you ungrateful stupid cunt
>>
>>2386231
>When I say hyper academic I mean stuff that's about art theory. Stuff with long artist statements. Hirst, Koons, conceptual art. All the guys with masters degrees where they wrote a thesis and think its essential to good art.

>Proceed to write artists statement justifying retarded art

kill yourself bro
>>
File: cock.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cock.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>2386231
>say more specific kind of things.
and thus far you're "specific kind of things" are "im sad" or "im happy" or "im laughing"

maybe you should try writing a joke you cuck.

here what's the message behind this piece I made it sometime last week in about 2 seconds and it conveys more of a message than any of your work
>>
>>2386231
>Thats how I see reaction images. They just convey emotion with no context.
Uh, no. That's what abstract (non-representational) art does. It's emotion without narrative. What you're doing is creating shallow narrative (some sad guy on a train, etc.) and then clumsily plastering literal representations of the emotion all over the image. and just like actual reaction images by themselves, one doesn't get a strong emotion from the image, just a cheap symbol for the emotion.
>>
>>2386244

I get strong emotions from reaction images. They are really powerful imagery. That's why they are so insanely popular. The human face is the most effective way to convey an emotion, it's the most common way we convey emotion in real life, it's how the classical masters conveyed emotion. Biologically humans use the face to communicate the most. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to do to me.
>>
>>2386250
>Seems like a pretty obvious thing to do to me

By all means, let the fool continue in his folly.

Op has turned his nose up at all the help and critique offered freely here out of the goodness of anon's heart.

Go fuck yourself OP. Good luck to ya
>>
>>2386252
Critique? Yeah. Constructive? hardly. It's just shit storming. People hate anything they haven't seen before, fact. If your generating a lot of outrage it usually means your doing something right. In all reality the reaction here isn't negative enough, my work needs to be even more abrasive. That's the only way its ever going to catch anyones attention. The world doesn't give a shit about artists that everyone unanimously agrees with. That's the reality.
>>
>>2386255
As the dog returneth to his vomit, so the fool returneth to his folly
>>
>>2386255

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."
>>
File: cattwithca.jpg (667 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cattwithca.jpg
667 KB, 1000x1000
>>2386255
if anyone here produces outrage its me. you just make people feel bad for you. there's a difference anon. learn from the master lol
>>
>>2386268
prob with you is that people feel outrage because the portraits of that girl are so cringy/beta it makes you a fucking looser. You need to either fuck that bitch or if your too lame to catch her never think about her again. Reality.
>>
>>2386255
You asked for feedback and you got it. Unfortunately no one likes your shit, so rather than see your shortcomings or understand those perspectives, you just get all defensive because you didn't get the praise you wanted. It's sad really. You came into this so cocksure that you were a brilliant mind and avant garde innovator that you refuse to accept valid criticism.
>>
File: january-29-2015-1.jpg (707 KB, 750x728) Image search: [Google]
january-29-2015-1.jpg
707 KB, 750x728
>>2386275
if I ever met her I would never fuck her. I would only give her orgasms in order to perpetuate her condition as a woman, while retaining mine by having as few orgasms as possible.

In order for a man to become a woman he has to stop having orgasms altogether and instead only have sex with the intention of having a child, and even then only having one child in order to never have sex again.

"Women" only become men the farther away they get from their last orgasm, as opposed to "men" who stay men as long as they have orgasms. For their to be peace on earth all of us must become women, which for men can be done by engaging with an understanding of memory, and why good things are bad for them, and for women can be done by having a shitload of orgasms as often as possible.

Understanding memory can be done by performing a painting done entirely with the intention of using your own memory. This means setting up a canvas so it blocks out what's behind it and then painting what you remember goes there, with the absolute intention of not looking behind the canvas to see what to paint. This can be accomplished realistically within 4 months of trying ( That's how long it took me)

Alright OP let's see you top that lol I can spit bullshit with the best of them. I've made trolling into an art form that has taken over the entirety of my life. And all you do is make shit artwork ;)
>>
>>2386281
>all defensive because you didn't get the praise you wanted

No I definitely didn't come on here for praise. I came on here for criticism so I could figure out what needs fixing. And it worked, I decided I'm going to photobash even more so that there's no drawing underneath. That way it doesn't look like post impressionism. If I got showered with praise I'd think I was doing something wrong, that's 100% honest. That would mean my work was as shitty as those guys making hyper saturated sexy elves with badass swords meticulously painted in photoshop.
>>
>>2386285
wow that's so sad man. Fuck
>>
File: dungeonmeshi_manga2_1.jpg (141 KB, 472x404) Image search: [Google]
dungeonmeshi_manga2_1.jpg
141 KB, 472x404
>>2386267
You're not wrong

I think everyone but OP has learned a lot from this thread
>>
>>2386291
tell me about it. I haven't had an orgasm in over 2 years and the worst part is i love it. now the only way I can feel selfless and humble is to have sex, but I can't do that because if I were to have an orgasm again it would mean technically what I learned isn't true and there's no way to save the world. It's like a big cosmic joke and I'm the punchline.

So the only way I can ever have sex again and feel like I'm doing something selfless and good for the world is to have sex for a kid. Not because I want to have a child, but because I want to have sex.

My day is so filled with stress and inner turmoil that OP's silly plans of art world domination don't even phase me. He's the least important thing in the world. And he probably is masturbating to these comments right now.
>>
I hope you all grow out of this lmao sarcasm irony phase some day soon.
>>
File: 42731.jpg (24 KB, 350x338) Image search: [Google]
42731.jpg
24 KB, 350x338
>>2386303
Are there people this cucked or is it memeing?
>>
>>2386309
I think there are people that cucked but I also think that particular instance is memery
>>
all your shit is trash

solution: stop being subhuman by entering into the eternal cycle of death and rebirth and being reborn as someone not fundamentally retarded and tasteless
>>
>>2386330
fuck u nobody
>>
>>2386356
your sub-mineral retorts don't work on me
try coming back after a million reincarnations when you've worked up enough karma to achieve the level of garbage dump blowfly
>>
>>2386365
wow sub-mineral huh. We got a real wierdo fellas
>>
>>2386238
this speaks to me on so many levels.
>>
>>2386242
A cock with a raging boner, how delightful!
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.