[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /ic/ I'm seriously considering getting into art, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1669-620x.jpg (89 KB, 482x675) Image search: [Google]
1669-620x.jpg
89 KB, 482x675
hey /ic/

I'm seriously considering getting into art, but I don't know whether I should draw or use a computer, I prefer using my hands, and feel like I would enjoy it far more, but I know it has limitations compared to a computer, especially when it comes to colour & lighting (which I hate/have 0 capability in), as for doing both, I know this probably isn't the case, but I feel as though all the time spent drawing would be pointless if I transitioned. What do?
>>
In short, simply committing(and putting effort) to the act of learning one medium or the other will make you better.

However, I would suggest starting with traditional art. Painting, pencil, charcoal, etc. Why? Digital art has a lot of crutches and pitfalls you can potentially fall into that will hinder your learning; ie, tracing filtering color-picking etc. Irregardless, people can make fantastic art no matter the medium. It is much easier to pick up digital art after learning any traditional medium, than it is vice versa. However, doing one will not stop you from doing the other in the future.

Also:

> I prefer using my hands
> I would enjoy it far more

Do what makes you happy.
>>
>>2382909
cheers senpai, time for the sticky, a pencil and this "loomis" guy
>>
If you like using hands, do sculpture.

If you think all digital art is made with a mouse, you are a moron.
>>
>>2382899
It's best to study traditional first before getting into digital. You don't learn as fast with digital then you can with traditional.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 428x726) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 428x726
Both maybe?
Pic related- Kieth Thompson draws with pencil and paper then scans it to adds color using a computer
>>
>>2382899
Traditional 100%. If you watch art streams with digital artists, you'll see the biggest pitfall that greatly hinders progress. Ctrl + z.

It fucks your line confidence, and it makes you heavily rely on the crutch of undoing every single thing. Seriously, find a stream right now and watch how many times they redo a single line.
>>
>>2384413
To add as well, it's a lot more convenient. I travel on the train/bus a lot and its great just pulling out my sketchbook and drawing shit.
>>
>>2384415
I wish I could draw on public transport. The roads and the vehicles here is Australia are actually fucking terrible. Bumps, man, bumps and jumps!
>>
>>2385624
I live in Canada, we have the winter to break our roads and i still manage to draw in the bus. Stroke quality is nearly irrelevant, stop being a pussy.
>>
File: 1421962212877.jpg (23 KB, 570x422) Image search: [Google]
1421962212877.jpg
23 KB, 570x422
>>2385630

Fuck, I share a country with you?
>>
>>2385624
Nah. Just use a pencil, never hold close to vertical and learn to predict the bumps.
But then again Melbourne(where I am) has some nice public transport.
>>
>>2384342
I like that idea actually
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.