[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Hand Vs Tablet.png (135 KB, 800x404) Image search: [Google]
Hand Vs Tablet.png
135 KB, 800x404
I was wondering as a aspiring artist who sucks at drawing by hand which on is more efficient / easier to pick up? Should i buy myself a graphics tablet or suck it up and continue to learn by hand?

Any help / tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>2382838

learn through drawing. the intuos is just a tool and has a tendency to instill on you bad habits and crutches when you are starting out.
>>
Pencil, pen, stack of 500 piece cheap photo copy paper.

I wish I learned that way rather then having gotten a tablet so quick and learning on that and struggling.
>>
>>2382838
I was wondering as an aspiring artist who suck at drawing by stick in sand which on is more efficient/easier to pick up? Should I buy myself some animal blood and sharp rocks or suck it up and continue to learn by stick in sand?

Any help / tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>2382838
Learn by hand, this shouldn't even be a question.
>>
>>2382846

So what your saying is, "Get a tablet you inept caveman!"?
>>
>>2382850

I'm saying it doesn't matter although you should get a tablet anyway for studies as it's easier to draw over photos and note take due to unlimited canvas size. There is no reason not to do both.
>>
>>2382838
If you want to be good digital artist, start getting used to tablet right now.
>>
If you're bad with a pencil, you'll be just as bad with a tablet.
>>
>>2383498

not entirely true
>>
>>2382862
>easier to draw over photos
Aaaand everything you said was invalidated.
>>
>>2383625

Drawing over photos is good study practice you scrub.
>>
>>2383627
Why?
>>
You think drawing on one surface while looking at another will be easier than pencil and paper?

>>2383572
Yeah. People tend to be even worse on tablets.
>>
>>2383720
Don't ask me why after you invalidate my reasoning you massive retard. Now run along, you don't want to get caught up with me cause the drawing police gonna knock down my door cause I'm marking all over photo studies.

>>2383736

>You think drawing on one surface while looking at another will be easier than pencil and paper?
If you're mentally challenged then yes. It's just like riding a bike; you will fall over a couple times until you can ride the thing.
>>
>>2383798
You had no reasoning to begin with.

Trying to copy photos is bad enough because of the perspective issues, but tracing over pictures does little more than improve your lines, since you aren't forced to consider shapes at all.

There are many accounts of people who start drawing by tracing and copying photos and later they just can't do anything without them, not even life drawing.

I don't get you, I really don't. Also, "is good study practice" is not reasoning, you gave no reason for saying that.
>>
>>2383808
>There are many accounts of people who start drawing by tracing and copying photos and later they just can't do anything without them, not even life drawing.

I phrased this in a very weird way for some reason.

There are many accounts of people who start drawing by tracing and copying photos who later can't do anything without them, not even life drawing.
>>
>>2383808
>>2383736

Keep in mind that there are tablets with a projection of your screen directly on the tablet face, so you don't have to look at one surface while drawing on another

I started out learning traditionally on paper too, and I find that drawing directly on my tablet just makes cleaning up fifty times easier. Redrawing as much as you want without any lingering marks from your medium is pretty sweet. It just feels like there's more control.
>>
File: k19977196.jpg (4 KB, 113x170) Image search: [Google]
k19977196.jpg
4 KB, 113x170
>>2383808
>since you aren't forced to consider shapes at all
You do consider shapes...because you're doing an in-depth study of it.
>There are many accounts of people who start drawing by tracing and copying photos
I said studies.
>and later they just can't do anything without them, not even life drawing.
Well gosh maybe if they actually studied the subject then perhaps that wouldn't happen?
>I don't get you, I really don't.
That's okay maybe you just don't know how to study. To study something and fully understand it you must do this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAh--zV40M

Do you get me now, retard san?
>>
>>2383839
From the moment the perspective is wrong you're studying the wrong shapes.

Also, keep calling me retarded, that's my fetish.
>>
File: ekoeko0.jpg (710 KB, 838x1200) Image search: [Google]
ekoeko0.jpg
710 KB, 838x1200
>>2383839
here is an example of drawing over a photo as a study: ecorche drawing for the study of anatomy

>>2383842

You truly are a retarded beginner. We can conclude that getting a tablet has no harm on the rookie artist in this day and age. This isn't the early 00's anymore.
>>
>>2383844
I'm not saying getting a tablet is bad, I'm saying tracing pictures is bad. In fact, tracing is bad in general, since as I said before, you are not forced to see the volumes.

Why the fuck did you think I was attacking tablets anyway?
>>
>>2383844
Also, I agree with you with the tablet thing, there's no reason why that should be any worst than traditional drawing.

Some people love to say that it's harder because you have more tools to distract you... this is a pretty fucking retarded thing to say if you ask me. What, do you have ADHD and can't control the urge to use the pretty brushes or something?
>>
>>2383845

And I said STUDIES. Not one post did I say the word "trace". To draw-over is to use existing knowledge of the subject to construct the forms. I also mentioned the unlimited canvas because I myself love taking plenty of notes. You NEED to take your meds, anon.
>Why the fuck did you think I was attacking tablets anyway?
cause you're stuuuuupid
>Some people love to say that it's harder because you have more tools to distract you

I just think people like to parrot what they heard and if thrown around enough it becomes gospel. Not many people like to think for themselves anymore and do what they think will benefit them.
>>
>>2383855
>To draw-over is to use existing knowledge of the subject to construct the forms.

Why the fuck would you need a tablet for this? Why even mention it then? Why call it such a retarded thing in the first place? And again, the shapes you're going to come up with are either going to come out distorted or not looking like the subject at all, so if you're trying to draw the exact same thing you will not be making a very good study. If you're not trying to draw the exact same thing, well, we call that inspiration where I come from.

>cause you're stuuuuupid
Nice.
>>
I started with a tablet and turned out alright, but if I could go back I'd start with traditional.
I've been doing traditional more lately and in my experience, exercises done traditionally stick a lot better because you don't have unlimited opportunities to fix and nitpick. If you fuck up hard enough you need to do it over, and that forces you to figure it out if you want to stop restarting, and it also forces you to stare at your fuckups rather than just close photoshop and forget about it.

What I'd suggest is get a pencil or pen (bic pens are just fine), a binder, and a bunch of printer paper. It's all cheap and disposable, so don't get too precious about it, your first few hundred drawings will be shit anyway. Focus on learning.

That said, if you've got money to spare, no harm in owning a tablet. It gives you access to a lot of tools that are inconvenient traditionally (namely: painting tools and color).
>>
>>2383867
>Why the fuck would you need a tablet for this?
You're right you don't. Just use a lightbox and keep wasting that printer ink :^^^^^^^^^^^D bakas
>>
>>2383874
Why would you need to print the photo?
>>
>>2383879
It's a picture of my 8ft long penis. It's so I can shove it in your moms dank puss with hopes she can get pregnant with a kid not as stupid as you.
>>
>>2383898
Ok, thanks.
>>
>>2383904

What do you want your little sister to be named? I was thinking either Rebbecca or maybe something more asian like yami? Mmm yami is kinda cute. What do you think?
>>
>>2383832
I prefer the texture of graphite on paper. Drawing on a touchscreen sounds slippery.

>>2383798
>If you're mentally challenged then yes.
So what you're saying is people who learn to draw with tablets are mentally challenged. We're in agreement then.
>>
OP's good, he gets the info he wants by baiting the fuck outta anons

Also, dejavu.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.