[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a new drawing tablet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: Cintiq_Companion_2.jpg (647 KB, 1558x1558) Image search: [Google]
Cintiq_Companion_2.jpg
647 KB, 1558x1558
I'm not even sure if this is the board I should be posting this in but it did seem like the most relevant.

So basically I'm looking to buy a drawing tablet, I bought a Wacom pad not that long ago but I find myself really not that fond of looking up at the screen when I draw instead of down like I am used to. I am in the market for something like a Cintiq Companion 2 and I was wondering if any of you had any advice on the matter.

I have enough to buy even the most expensive model of CC2, but some of the higher end models seem a bit unnecessary. I mean it's $500 more for a model that only seems to add 250GB of internal storage and that seems pretty crazy, is their any other benefit to the higher end models? I take it you can but in SD and Micro SD cards to help with the storage issue anyways.

Also wondering if anyone is familiar with any of the alternatives to Cintiq's that I should perhaps be considering or if there is anything else I should know before I make my decision.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, if this isn't where I should be posting this feel free to tell me to fuck off and where to fuck off to.
>>
>>2382720
>So basically I'm looking to buy a drawing tablet, I bought a Wacom pad not that long ago but I find myself really not that fond of looking up at the screen when I draw instead of down like I am used to.
Do you need a whole new computer too? Cintiqs function like other wacom drawing pads, but they're simultaneously a second monitor. The Cintiq Companion is something different than other Cintiqs in that it's a full computer as well. If you already have a good enough desktop or laptop, you could save money by getting one of the other non-companion cintiqs. In that scenario, you can also consider other manufacturer's drawing tablets with a screen, as they'll cost a fraction of the price.

If you are set on a cintiq, and you do need a new computer, but you don't need the portability, then you should consider building a new desktop and buying a cintiq 13HD. Going that route you can make something that's overwhelmingly more powerful than the CC2 (which has been on the market for a year and could get an update) and you'll save a few hundred bucks in the process depending on your build.

If you need a new computer and it has to be a laptop, then there are a few alternatives that you should research. There are offerings from microsoft in the surface pro and surface book lines (powered by NTrig). Lenovo still makes convertible tablet pcs, as do other companies I assume. Check out the forums over at tabletpcreview to find out whats new and what users experience with these types of devices.
>>
>>2382734
That is interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I have a good PC already and I wouldn't really be drawing anywhere besides in my house so I will look into the Cintiq 13HD.

I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>2382734
The first models of Cintiq must have come out a long time ago, they need fucking adapters to go into an HDMI port.
>>
>>2382771
Yeah this is the biggest draw back of all cintiqs. The cords are clunky and on top of that you have to buy and add more to use them.

Wacom is a pretty worthless company that relies on shills and protecting its designer image
>>
>>2382740
Don't get the 13 is too small.
If you want to save money go for the huion 18.5.
>>
Bumping for more suggestions. So far the Cintiq 13 HD Pen and Touch is the frontrunner. Am I making am mistake?

>>2383636
I watched a few review of the 13 and it didn't look that small to me. The next step up with Cintiq looks way too big. I'll check out your suggestion, although I'm not sure why the other person told you to fuck off, makes me wonder.
>>
>>2384372
13' is hobbit tier
>>
>>2384376
Well the 22 looks a bit ridiculous to me and is twice he price. I mean I'm still considering it but it seems excessive.

Psst! Want to know something, I used to draw on a Wii U gamepad in Art Academy: Home Studio for fun. Now that is a hobbit screen.
>>
>>2385683
Look at the archives you fucking cunt. These cluttering fuck-threads are spammed every fucking day, so you are 100% sure to find anothe helpless retard like yourself who has asked the exact same thing.
>>
>>2385703
Thanks for the bump.
>>
>>2383636
I'm drawing on an intuos small right now.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191802178811?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Found this, these are actually really good wacom alternatives and this one's cheap on eBay.
>>
>>2383636
>>2384372

I actually saw a 13HD at a second hand store and my impression was 'whoah that is WAY bigger than I thought'
I wish there existed a 8HD for perfect portability but 13HD is good enough
>>
>>2387717
>$780, used

why not buy an actual cintiq for $10 more?
>>
>>2387734
Because an 800$ cintiq is 13 inches and that one is 21.5 inches..?
I've owned a 13HD before they're actually really shitty to draw on, it's just too small.
>>
>>2387869
the 13HD also lies about the 1980x1080 resolution, it looks like blurry crap unless you turn it down to whatever the next resolution down is.
>>
>>2387717
>anime screenshot in description

at least try not to be so obvious when shilling your auctions.
it's a waste of money for anyone that is not an absolute beginner and does not research products.
>>
>>2387873
I hear that the first batch had etched glass screens, and all subsequent ones have a matte screen protector glued on that's rather shitty. There are videos of people using an xacto to lift the corners then slowly peel off their shitty protector. Supposedly the screen looks a lot better without it, and you can then apply a better third party screen protector of your choosing. It's safe to assume this would void the warranty.
>>
I am in the same boat as OP. Is the Surface 3 / Pro worth the money or should I get something else? I'd like to be able to use the tablet for more than just drawing.
>>
File: fujitsu-lifebook-t4220.jpg (71 KB, 595x545) Image search: [Google]
fujitsu-lifebook-t4220.jpg
71 KB, 595x545
Is pic related for an alternative okay? to anyone who's ever used it, what can you say?
>>
>>2392034
i hear that the price is going cheap compared to it's introductory price nowadays if you look at the right place
>>
Astropad?
>>
Anyone have experience with the huion 19" the gt-19 I believe its called they are £279 in the UK right now and its really tempting. With the alternative being a 13hd cintiq companion
>>
OP here, I just ordered the Cintiq 13 HD Pen and Touch after looking around for a few days.

Strangely they were sold out of that model on Wacom's site so I ordered a new directly from Amazon.

>>2392074
When I was looking around I heard some pretty bad things about Huions.
>>
I'm getting a Cintiq 22HD Touch delivered later today. I've had a Intuos 4 Medium since 2009, and this is a long overdue upgrade.

I considered a cheaper alternative, but the build quality on a Cintiq seems to be unbeatable. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for buying a $2100 piece of equipment. I'm sure it'll be more than worth the investment though!

Coming from a long-time Intuos user, I can post my first impressions later if anyone is interested?
>>
>>2392074
I think the 18" is the improved version.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 143x153) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 143x153
>>2392110
kill yourself my good man.
>>
>>2392266
quality post.
>>
>>2392110
Enjoy, I feel like it being double the price of the 13 HD touch is a bit crazy. I mean why is the 22 HD touch as much as a fucking Cintiq Companion 2?
>>
>>2392110
Man I don't care how good a display is, $2k just for a monitor to draw on is ridiculous. With that money I could buy a MBP 15.

I want to get the Yiynova 22u v3, but it is in the price range of the Cintiq 13. Both are great products by trusted companies.

I could go either way, but the size of the Yiynova is getting to me more.
>>
File: cintiq test.jpg (267 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
cintiq test.jpg
267 KB, 800x450
>>2392110
It far exceeds my expectations - even after only 15 minutes of dicking around. Somethings definitely need to be adjusted, but everything is working great. Two things that really surprised me (that I thought would be a hassel)

1. The touch screen gestures. They are very, very handy and feel very sturdy. I was worried that my hand resting on the screen would trigger all sorts of weird commands to go off, but things only happen when I deliberately press my fingers onto the screen and move them.

2. It is simutaneously very sturdy, while being easily rotated and tilted. I was worried that moving it would be kind of a pain in the ass, but it's very easy to shift in and out of different positions.

I haven't set up any of the many short cut buttons available, but they're totally solid too. I'm trying to think of anything I don't like, but it's hard. The cable management is a bit crap (weird, 3-in-1 cable), but nothing that can't be hidden.

>>2392296
I guess the Companion 2 is built to be portable, so maybe the wireless features cost a lot more. I don't know. The Cintiq 22 is far from portable.

>>2392358
Of all the alternatives, Yiynova's latest models seem to be totally on par. If I was on a much tighter budget, I would go with that without hesitation. Other brands have 900p screens, which is insane considering how close a tablet like this will be to your face. Even with the Cintiq, I can notice the pixels of a 1080p screen on text and sharp edges. It isn't noticeable while drawing, though.

Sorry for dumping all of this here. None of my friends are remotely interested in this stuff, so I need some outlet.
>>
>>2392056
it's pretty garbage. cant really be used for any serious work
>>
>>2392882
what would you, or somebody else, recommend?
>>
>>2392412
Thanks for the update, I hope I'm as happy with the 13 as you are with the 22. I didn't really have the deskspace for the 22 and if I was going to spend 2,000 on a cintiq I probably would of went with the Cintiq Companion 2.
>>
I wouldn't recomend 22" cintiqs until you're filthy rich, you can always upgrade to cintiq selling your used current monitor at any time later when it becomes more reasonable

Yiynova is pretty good compared to 13HD, as size matters. Usually I don't use to draw on 60% of it's surface, but I use it for Ph tools/references/anything, and that woulnd not fit in a 13HD at all without killing important area
>>
>>2393364
No problem. After using it for a whole day, my love to drawing has been renewed. It's actually really fun to draw on a screen. Even my girlfriend - who couldn't care less about this stuff - sat down and doodled for an hour.

It is pretty massive though. The 22" is about 25.5 inches wide. That takes a lot of space, especially when it's sitting right infront of you.

It is really expensive, but it's worth it. My productivity and attentiveness was much better yesterday than it had been in years with my Intuos.
>>
>>2393864
What about screen coating grainyness? I heard some commets about it being very bad on 22HD.
>>
Can anyone confirm if yiynova is huion.. I'm finding it hard to get proper info here but it sees huion gt 19 is the same thing exactly as the yiynova. Yet people seem quicker to recommend the yiynova. I can find huion gt 19" for £279.99 and that's pretty cheap considering a 13" HD cintiq companion is like £450+
>>
>>2394102
Grainyness? Like a slight texture?

It's actually much less textured than I read about. It feels like perfectly smooth glass to me, which I expected to feel a slight paper texture.
>>
File: 1454700883424.jpg (46 KB, 448x486) Image search: [Google]
1454700883424.jpg
46 KB, 448x486
So I have enough to pay for a Yiynova MSP19U+, using my Bamboo fun is worse than being flogged in the balls.

Is it any good? Internet reviews are pretty positive. Should I invest another $90 for a desk arm? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2394126
There's also Ugee, which basically the same as Huion as well. All of them have extremely small to none difference in their products. Maybe that's just some shady chinese business they're doing to pay less taxes or something like that.
As far as I know Ugee have the exact same driver software shell as Yiynova and exact same look of the tablet itself as Huion. So, go figure.
>>
>>2394201
Get it - especially if you've never used a tablet screen before. It's worth it.

For the arm - I recommend ordering that after you set it up. You may find that you can get by just fine without it.
>>
>>2394194
No, like a visual grain on the screen. I've seen people said that it's kind of annoying and distracting when you look at the actual image you're painting and you don't get this effect on other Cintiq's. Though that was a couple years ago, Wacom actually might have fixed it by now.
I'm looking into buying Cintiq myself. Kind of torn between 22HD and 27QHD. 27QHD seems like a better choice in most aspects, but it's way too fucking big, it probably will be exausting to work with and it requires so much working space. And you have to buy ergostand or arm separately, which is kind of fuck you to the buyer. I wish they'd still sell 24HD, I'd get it without any hesitation.
>>
>>2394235
I've heard this issue is due to a low quality screen protector that's glued on - at least with current models of the 13hd and the cc2 (early batches of 13hd had an etched glass top layer instead). I don't know if the 22HD has that same film.

People have removed this film before, but it's somewhat difficult to do. There are videos of it online. Reportedly the screen looks much better without that protector, and you can replace it with something like the mxh from photodon to protect the screen and add back the paper-like drawing surface. I think it's safe to assume that removing that protector might void your warranty, and it could possibly affect your resale value.
>>
>>2394235
I simply don't notice what you're talking about. If anything, people may be surprised of the noticeable pixelization from sitting so close to a 1080p screen. That's not noticeable on a drawing though - only small text.

If you're concerned about space - the 22HD is taking up a significant amount of my desk space. In my opinion - the few extra inches of work space is not worth the extra $700. I've been very surprised at the comfortableness of the 22HD. It's sitting right in front of your face, and I think anything larger would not really add anything to the experience.

The 22HD also fits very well into a $130 LX Ergostand arm (which I didn't get, but read of great compatibility). Though I find the included stand to be very adjustable.
>>
>>2394202
I'm thinking that one company sells the reject panels, which is ironic because I've been told that all the chink company's eg. All but wacom sell wacom rejects
>>
>>2394201
I chuckled at flogged in the balls, I say go for it senpai I'll get the huion gt 19 since it seems like a good option for britbongs
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.