[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is kim jung gi better than Michelangelo? Or better than any old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
File: 312108.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
312108.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
Is kim jung gi better than Michelangelo? Or better than any old master at all?
Is he autistic?
>>
How do he explain the shit he does? This guy is talented
>>
He does 1 thing very difficult very well. But on a whole scale his compositions are pretty lacking.
So no, he really isnt that great, stop with the kimeme.
>>
>probably the greatest artist to have ever graced thris planet
>korean

Gooks win again, white tears feed his pen
>>
>>2381696
for fucks sake kim, you have to stop making these threads
>>
>>2381714
But isn't michelangelo Human?
>>
>>2381726

I'm starting to believe this as well
>>
>can't paint
>can't composition
>can't light
>can't color
>can't likeness

yup he's one of the grates
>>
>>2381696
it is technically impressive, the problem is there is no interesting idea, composition or story behind these pictures, it is just bunch of shit thrown on paper
>>
>>2381765
lol go there and do better
>>
File: 1454020399351.gif (1 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1454020399351.gif
1 MB, 500x375
>>2381696
This autistic faggot pushing the "kim jung gi better than michelangelo" meme again.
>>
>>2381783
Autistic faggot quoting autistic faggot who's asking if autistic faggot is better than michelangelo(gone wrong) (in the hood) (gone sexual1!11!)
>>
File: undercover bobber.png (83 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
undercover bobber.png
83 KB, 300x198
>>2381702
you cant draw boxes? you'e trash kill yourself.
>>
>>2381792
care to explain?
>>
Literally meme thread
>>
>>2381803
Then point the meme. I don't see blog? nor need more loomis
>>
>>2381712

This. His compositions are really clustered and IMO don't read well. Sure, he is very good, but I don't feel inspired by him.
>>
>>2381821
What are you inspired by then?
>>
>>2381712
I honestly don't think he's at all concerned with composition in the way you're concerned with it.
>>
File: kim.jpg (6 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
kim.jpg
6 KB, 300x100
I wish I was payed to doodle all day.
>>
>>2381842

Well, a bunch of various stuff. I like Moebius, Edmund Dulac, Paul Bonner, Takashi Murakami, pre-raphaelite paintings (especially "Golden Stairs" by Burne-Jones), I like 3D by Bagiński/Platige Images, a bunch of polish artists like Malczewski or Wyspiański, there's this schizo art of yukaman that is just neat...well, I have lots of different stuff saved and not saved.

It's hard to say for me. Some stuff just "clicks" for me, I think "ooh, that's clever" or that concept is intriguing. Well and obviously I like stuff like comics and manga due to storytelling, but art there can be good and inspiring too.
>>
>>2381765
PLEAAAASE.
You are so fucking edgy im bleeding
>>
>>2381897

He is right though.
>>
File: rusty brown chris ware.jpg (148 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
rusty brown chris ware.jpg
148 KB, 500x596
>>2381885

Ooh, and now that I think of it, I really like what Chris Ware does with comic layout and his clean style. Plus of course depressing storytelling helps.
>>
>>2381696
They are both genius's in their own right. Michelangelo lay the foundations of drawing for everyone after him, among other things. Kjg might be the best ever on drawing technique.
>>
>>2381771

mm good ol ad hominem
>>
>>2381846
>I don't think he concerned..
Clearly, but it's not because I'm autistic, it's because he is bad at composition.
There is no flow or make up, and often the perspective gets skewed it various directions. It's just a bunch of highly detailed clutter from imagination, and for a piece of art that is not a good thing.>>2381865
>>
Look mom!! I posted it again!
╮(╯▽╰)╭
>>
>>2382024
You don't understand what I'm getting at. He's simply not concerned with it. It has nothing to do with being bad at it. It's obvious he's just drawing whatever for it's own sake, with no real thought behind it because it's unnecessary, it's not what he's aiming to accomplish. He's not creating some artistic masterpiece, he's just drawing with a free mind - unbound by restrictions like composition - as if he was drawing in a sketchbook for shits and gigs.
>>
>>2382088
It doesn't really matter why he does it that way. His compositions suck, even on the pieces he isn't just doodling around with.
It's fine if he doesn't care, but the lack of structure means his drawings aren't that appealing.
>>
>>2381696
weekly kim jung gi thread is weekly
>>
>>2382091
Yikes. You're a dense one.
It's obvious there's no point in discussing things with you as you're so hopelessly convinced this is the case and that all others are wrong except you.
>>
>>2382131
I'd say you're the dull one here.
>he drawing freely!
Okay and it sucks. Good for him being relaxed, but the composition is horrible.
>He's not creating a masterpiece
Agreed, but the thread is about him being a master and I said he wasn't.

It doesn't matter his reasons, he's incapable of good composition. That means as an artist he's lacking and he's far from master level.
You seem to be arguing some random point you never cared to define, the point is his art always lacks in many important points so the answer to op is no.
>>
>>2381760
Have you seen his comics? If you think he doesn't understand color and light kys
>>
why do u fags always gotta argue over this guy who gives a fuck
>>
>>2381765
>every drawing needs a story or some shit

god I hate people like you
>>
>>2382188
Shut the fuck up faggoyt
>>
>>2382365

Even purely aesthetic paintings usually tell some story through their composition (see mentioned before by me Golden Stairs). Meaningless art is meaningless and even heavily abstracted shit tries to convey some sort of feeling or impression to viewer like those Rothko "few random colours man" paintings.
>>
>>2382689
and every drawings you ever produce only has one story to tell, you need to git gud :^)
>>
>>2382696

lol top kek 5/5 ebin :----D nod really xD
>>
>>2382706
fuck off.
>>
>>2381801
KJG once said that he draws perspective by visualizing everything inside of boxes, or something like that.
>>
>>2382760

Fuck you too, shitposter.
>>
>>2383342
Fight me irl faggot, you mad?
>>
File: tumblr_o229sbeTNO1uecl9io1_1280.jpg (168 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o229sbeTNO1uecl9io1_1280.jpg
168 KB, 1280x720
>>2382836
Seems like a no brainer. Just draw a box, and put shit in it. You just keep in mind the proportions relative to a box, and then you draw things in relation to the box. Makes a lot of sense if you can understand it well enough. Pic related. I'm ass, I know. But I think I understand where KJG is coming from. Makes sense that he can start at arbitrary places too, you've just gotta keep in mind the box. In the pic I made, I drew the stuff on top of my desk before I drew my desk, because the box already set the entire scene, so it don't matter where you start. I could work on my lines/take more time on this shit, but It all makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: My cool bike2.png (515 KB, 1500x900) Image search: [Google]
My cool bike2.png
515 KB, 1500x900
>>2383509
Did this one digitally. The box really tells you a lot about how a picture is going to look. Once you've got the box down, you just have to focus on other BS, like anatomy, which I'm still trying to learn.
>>
>>2381702
He understands texture, weight and mass and uses these to focus on clothes, machinery, accessories, etc, to hide the fact that drawing highly detailed, anatomically accurate bodies is a completely different task that would take another decade for him to master.
Don't get me wrong, he's very talented but not impossible to achieve.
>>
File: kek.jpg (525 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
525 KB, 800x800
>>2382161
>If you think he doesn't understand color and light kys
ummmmmm. maybe im just not seeing the genius you guys are but pic very related.

also michelangelo's understanding of perspective wasn't fucked beyond repair
>>
>>2381696
Real talk, beyond trying to one up Terada Katsuya's Rakugaking book. (This is fact, maybe his singular goal.)

What did KJG do before all the exhibition/self publication stuff? His first sketchbook was 2007. Had a variety of styles. Included small comics vignettes but i haven't found of any of his works published aside from Spy Games. Did he work in animation/korean manga?
>>
>>2384234
http://www.kimjunggi.net/bio/
>>
>>2383346

I'm here, what you gonna do
>>
File: Radiozoa+Kim+Jung+Gi.jpg (1 MB, 750x1064) Image search: [Google]
Radiozoa+Kim+Jung+Gi.jpg
1 MB, 750x1064
>>2381696
I greatly admire his ability to create the illusion of depth via freehand. I do think his BIG compositions are way too cluttered to be compelling. They just look like a better version of what one doodles during a boring history class, i.e. adding characters until you fill up the page.

That said, overcrowded compositions are obviously his schtick. He's capable of drawing stuff that isn't a visual cacophony, but that's not what people who say "WOW HE DID THAT FREEHAND?!EPICEST ARTIST EVER OOOOOO" want to pay for.
>>
>>2383571
>michelangelo's understanding of perspective wasn't fucked beyond repair
implying kjg perspective is fucked. nigga, that's he's strongest point, next to a wide knowledge of how different stuff look

and comparing those 2 pics you posted, it's michelangelo which lacks in perspective, but it's his human anatomy tops kjg
>>
>>2384275
>but it's his human anatomy tops kjg

but his human anatomy tops kjg's, typo
>>
For those who want to learn how to draw like him

Peter Han of CGMA and concept design academy and the Art Center of Pasadena can do smiliar shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzBmmU24ssg

You can learn from him on the cheap too
>>
>>2381885
This Edmund Dulac guy has a pretty similar style to Arthur Rackham, pretty neat.

Purty nice taste m8.
>>
Whats with all of this "he's autistic" nonsense? Usually, when people seem to correlate "artistic talent" to a mental health problem, it usually means that the person is a good copier then anything(and we all know how much the masses love photorealistic art)
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.