[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag here, also poorfag. Last time i drew something was probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: toothpaste-sandwich.jpg (46 KB, 550x355) Image search: [Google]
toothpaste-sandwich.jpg
46 KB, 550x355
Newfag here, also poorfag. Last time i drew something was probably 3 years ago, but i'm willing to work hard to get good. I got only 30 dollars to spend on art supplies, but don't know what to buy. What supplies/brands does /ic/ recommend? There are no art stores around here where i live so i thought i might aswell buy it online.
>>
>>2380206
stacks of printer paper and biros
>>
Charcoal and chalk. Read loomis, practice form. We're all gonna make it brah
>>
>>2380206
the guy that made the christ chan comics drew on printer paper and a dollar store lead holder
stop giving excuses
>>
>>2380213
>>2380215
I already am working with printer paper and shitty graphite, thought i could get something with better quality
>>
>>2380206
Anon, I remember I spent time buying recycled papers from old notebooks that I had compiled it and drew alot from it when I was starting.

as for the pencil, you can buy a set of 2b fabercastel pencils for 2$ and that's around 12 pieces of pencil.
>>
>>2380234
you should focus on getting better at art instead. better equipment =/ better art.
the only investment you should do is in a scanner or a wacom
>>
I draw on computer paper with ballpoint pens I steal from work. If you want to get rill gud you'll have to spend some money to go to figure drawing though.
>>
>>2380206
Wacom tablet and torrent photoshop/other softwares.
No need to worry about running out of pages or supplies since it's all digital, brushes and other features should be free/torrentable.
>>
>>2380271
Oh and traditional art wise, i work on printer paper too, except i don't buy it i just take a stash of paper leftovers from people who printed a bunch of stuff but never pick up, one sided printing is common so i draw on the back.

And i also love working on biro since pencils (especially the waxy cheap ones) are just terrible to work on, biros are much darker and smoother on printer paper, they're also cheap and help you learn shading, tone, pressure and working around your mistakes. There are people who draw photorealistic art off biros, blue bic is my favourite brand.
>>
>>2380206
Printer paper, clipboard, pencils, finetip sharpie, bic pens.
>>
>>2380206
>Crap Clipboard
You'll need this because you're too poor for a sketchbook, and you're still going to need something that holds your loose paper. I got a Dollar General brand one from the Dollar General for a dollar.
>Copy Paper
Goes without saying, blank, white copy paper. Big paper or paper with a tooth is too good for you. it's best to draw on cheap paper so you never worry about wasting supplies.
>Pencils
This is where you're going to splurge. Get good pencils, brands like Ticonderoga or Morada. The quality of the lead is about the same but where it really matters is the quality of the wood (you don't want the pencil to split) and the eraser (you want a good eraser, not the shitty hard plastic kinds).
>Pens
This is a point of debate. Personally I think any random pack of ball point pens will do, Bic crystal pens are really well liked on /ic/ for bottom tier shit pens, but higher better quality pens might give you better mileage in ease of drawing. Personally, I say keep up with the theme and get the bics.
>Ruler
It literally does not matter what brand or kind. Just make sure it's straight and solid (not a flexible kind). It also helps if it's clear.

All that will easily cost you less than $10. I'd just put the other $20 aside for refills or, if you don't have one, get a pencil sharpener or two.

And then, read the sticky, lurk the artbook threads, draw draw draw, read read read, and only when you can make something you think looks alright with the shittest supplies do you start buying things like good paper, sketchbooks, vine charcoal, markers, and good pens. By that time you should have lurked /ic/ enough to know what to buy.
>>
>>2380282
>Clipboard
Also I'd recommend clear clipboards (ideally plastic) over opaque ones because you can write notes on the back of the back piece of paper you have clipped and turn the clip board over to read them.
>>
As an investment that will last, a Staedtler Lead holder kit is about 12 dollars. I usually steal them so...yeah.
>>
>>2380264

this. keep studying on printer paper for now and invest in a tablet

working in digital will save you $$ in the long run, and when you have money to invest in decent traditional stuff, the transition is relatively easy
>>
>>2380215
Truly inspirational. Good luck on your journey Christ chan!
>>
>>2380261

2 bucks 12 pencils? What the hell. Here each one costs 1,2€
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-04+at+05.54.43).jpg (50 KB, 939x604) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-04+at+05.54.43).jpg
50 KB, 939x604
>>2380319
I live in the philippines where a standard 2b pencil was around 15 to 20 c a pop.

82 pesos converted to $ is around 1.80$
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.