[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I draw flesh, /ic/? I want to render horrible eldritch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Fábio-Magalhães-01[1].jpg (202 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Fábio-Magalhães-01[1].jpg
202 KB, 1500x1125
How do I draw flesh, /ic/? I want to render horrible eldritch manifestations of diseased meat.
>>
>>2379369
take a look at some deadspace concept artwork. there are some fantadtic examples. the team even went as far as visiting butchers to refernce fresh/and bad meat etc.
>>
>>2379369
You study meat, google rotten meat and normal meat and do value studies of it.
Some food studies might help too, remember is all rendering.
>>
File: 1445879961329.jpg (855 KB, 1280x1857) Image search: [Google]
1445879961329.jpg
855 KB, 1280x1857
>>2379380
>>2379385

So how would I go about deliberately designing monsters, then? Even though the best examples seem organic, there has to be some kind of underlying design philosophy for what is terrifying.
>>
>>2379369
rotten.com might be a good resource, lots of gore but plenty of it is human.
>>
>>2379401
>there has to be some kind of underlying design philosophy for what is terrifying
Arguable. Flesh monsters are but a horror trope among many others. I am unfazed by them and so are many people. Horror is not as much about design and visuals as it is about the situation those visuals are placed in/the story they are participating in and psychology. In my opinion, that is. Now if you want to draw your flesh monsters in a context that makes them really terrifying you'll have to know how to compositionally convey a narrative.
>>
File: summerlove34_1920.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
summerlove34_1920.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>2379440

>Horror is not as much about design and visuals as it is about the situation those visuals are placed in/the story they are participating in and psychology.

This is what makes Stalenhag's stuff so compelling and disturbing.
>>
>>2379369
>I want to render horrible eldritch manifestations of diseased meat.
Do studies of feminists.
>>
>>2379519
ayy!
>>
>>2379401

Read a bit about what makes people respond with basic responses. Remember all those photoshops of lotus seeds on human body parts? People are universally grossed out by holes in body and holes in general since they are subconsciously associated with wounds, rot, pus etc.

That's also why Junji Ito when drawing body horror used often this "primal fear".
>>
Some things that help for studying design and fear are looking at horror games. Look through a range of them from indie to mainstream and note what makes the good ones work and the bad ones suck.

In general for good horror you need:
-Atmosphere
-A story behind it (Or not! Some things are scarier without an explanation)
-Tension (That feeling that whatever it is is right over your shoulder)

A lot of horror, less is more. Rarely are images of a monster in full view scary, they're usually more fascinating if you put them in too much spotlight.

Furthermore, look at common tropes for design and why they freak people out. You can go on /x/ and get a "General fears" thread going pretty easily for ideas.
>>
>>2379471

Hey Simon, how's it going?
>>
File: awwwshit.png (190 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
awwwshit.png
190 KB, 580x435
>>2379519
>>
>>2379401
Remember, anon. Nothing is scarier.
>>
If you truly want to scare people with your drawings you have to think original
>>
>>2379431
Bestgore.com is good too, I save any Mexican beheadings or any other gore that gets casually posted on 4ch... for uhh... reference.
>>
>>2379369
Just like any object, think about form. What shape does it make? Is it bouncy, does it bend? Stretch? Then you have to get into anatomy to really sell it. That's how I tackle fantasy work.
>>
>>2379471
I might be retarded. What the fuck is going on in that series?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.