[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i shade like the pros guys pic unrelated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
how do i shade like the pros guys
pic unrelated
>>
PRACTICE
R
A
C
T
I
C
E
>>
>>2379097
aylamaow
>>
Copy them over and over until you reach the desired result.
>>
>>2379097
shade with paint tool sai combo

flat colors anime like
then dither with brush or water
>>
If your using pencil, don't smudge, it looks fucking awful and muddy as all hell; I'd say the best (albeit most tedious) shading technique with pencil is to use the lightest amount of pressure you can apply, and make very small circular/elliptical motions over and over to build up to the desired value, when you start getting really comfortable and a bit skilled doing it, it produces very silky smooth gradations, and provides a higher degree of control of the values.

But that technique alone will only get you so far, you need to practice and study light, form, and value for it to start looking good.

Just know the about values: never use solid black or the white of the paper unless absolutely necessary, generally, nothing your shading should be as white the paper unless it's a specular highlight, or a light source. I'm not exactly a pro myself (at all) but I've been shading for a while and it's one of the things I'm the most anal about when drawing.

Also try to preserve the tooth integrity of your paper as best as you can. Because there's no worse feeling than rendering for an hour just to reach a part of the paper that doesn't want to cooperate, so you end up just making do with that one shitty spot staring you in face.
>>
But idk what to tell you about digital shading. I'm a poorfag so I'm purely traditional.
>>
>>2379207
Holy shit I really gotta proofread before posting
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.