[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
art depression art block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Sfinge_-_Copia.jpg (120 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
800px-Sfinge_-_Copia.jpg
120 KB, 800x523
This is how it all started for me. After a long and serious relationship ended I went into a deep depression. I found myself living alone at 22 years of age. My family had their problems and so I would see them off and on for periods of weeks or days. One night that my mother was staying with me she brought home a small canvas, some colors and a couple brushes. From that moment one I dedicated myself to painting. I knew nothing about it and now over a year later I am painting portraits of woman. Each painting seems to be closer to hyper-realism than the last. I try to capture the beauty of women. I don't want to get into excuses of how I feel when I am painting or the subject matter. Anyways, now that I have been able to paint better than ever before and have several drawings that came out excellent as I do studies before each painting I find myself having a terrible art block. It just doesn't feel the same and I don't feel like doing it at all. I dream and think about it but can't quite get back into it. I lose motivation and judge myself too harshly to progress into a drawing let alone a painting. This is also a difficult period for me as I have basically 0 friends and moved to a new town to live next to a person that left me shortly afterward. Does anyone understand me or have any advice? Has anyone been through strong depression and art blocks? General art block threat then..
>>
>>2376024
>Has anyone been through strong depression and art blocks?

Every artist ever. Take a break. A short one, but a serious one. No drawing/painting/sketching or doing anything art related for ... say 2 weeks. That should help. It won't solve any problems but will clear your system of some anxiety that creeps up on you when holding a brush.
>>
File: tumblr_njrn49gAJD1sdtln4o1_500.jpg (69 KB, 483x474) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njrn49gAJD1sdtln4o1_500.jpg
69 KB, 483x474
sorry about that anon. whenever i'm in an artblock i try to ease myself into painting again, and it'll flow as naturally as before. works different for everyone, but maybe you could take a break & travel or something like that, just to return with a fresh mind. figure out which direction you want to take your art in etc. good luck & hang in there!
>>
>>2376024
>Does anyone understand me or have any advice? Has anyone been through strong depression and art blocks? General art block threat then..

Diagnosed Major Depressive Disorder here. I've taken lots of meds, done lots of therapy, and gone to support groups where I talked to a lot of people with similar issues. Loosing interest in things you once enjoyed is a symptom of depression, but you really didn't provide enough info for me to perform an armchair diagnosis.

Different people respond positively to different things, and without knowing more about you I'm hesitant to offer specific advice. Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy are two things you can look into and try to apply to your life from your own home. Meditation has helped me to learn what sets me down into a dark spiral, and there are a lot of guided breathing meditations on YouTube.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.