[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 3/4 head
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Charlie--Dec.jpg (261 KB, 650x844) Image search: [Google]
Charlie--Dec.jpg
261 KB, 650x844
So I have a little problem. I can't wrap my head around when and when not to use the 3/4 head view. It's the most generic view of the head ever, so I try to avoid using it as much as possible, but for some reason, I almost NEVER know what to do with the head. How do I learn good/ interesting head positions that match the pose that the rest of my figure is in?
>>
>>2375926
What the fuck are you talking about you idiot? There is no such thing as a "generic" view of the head. 3/4 view is used a lot because it shows the most volume whereis front and profile view tend to look more flat.

Just learn to draw the head from any angle and stop thinking like a stupid hipster shit and start thinking like an artist.
>>
>>2375935
/thread
>>
>>2375935
He is right you know, the 3/4 view IS the most generic form of drawing the head. Look at the way /ic/ draws heads and tell me that most of them are not 3/4 views a perfect example would be the Artist /ic/ Idols so much his name was krom or something like that but that is all he draws is 3/4 bust shot views, same thing for sakinicham.
>>
>>2375952
cough nile weez cough cough wew excuse me!
>>
>>2375952
There is some bullshit theory on that. It's basically because at 3/4 view you can convey the most expression so it makes it most appealing both visually and artistically.
>>
File: 1440173574248.jpg (592 KB, 2048x1610) Image search: [Google]
1440173574248.jpg
592 KB, 2048x1610
>>2375952

Maybe you should stop obsessing over shit tier Deviantartists because I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Pretty much every good artist I can think of draws a vast variety of heads. Or do idiots like you and OP label every head that is titled to the side as "3/4 angle"? I mean, between profile view and front view, there are tons of different side-views of the head and most artists make use of the whole range.

But just to get back to this dumb "generic" statement. Saying 3/4 view is generic is like saying contrapposto or Rembrandt lighting is generic. It is done a lot because it simply works and it is a principle that is used for clear artistic reasons. As artist you are not supposed to reinvent the fucking wheel and desperately try to do everything different from anybody else, but to use these established principles and undestand WHY they are being used to begin with. If you want to draw a portrait and really show the perspective and depth, then you better use a tilted sideview angle and not a dead on frontal or profile view. If you want to have dramatic lighting and have a wide value range, you better use a strong, directional lightsource. Obviously there are also lots of times where you don't want to use these things, but if your thought process to make that decision has the word "generic" in it, then you are a shit artist, period.
>>
>>2376176
That's a generic sketchbook and syle
>>
>>2376299
Wesley berk is not generic.
>>
>>2376010
It's one of the more common views for most photographs (not stock) and art in general. I find myself stuck in drawing it because it fits well.
>>
>>2376176

About that sketchbook pic... Someone is fan of Takehiko Inoue...
>>
>>2376299
You shut your filthy whore mouth. That's Wesley Motherfucking Burt
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.