[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/IC/, what is your opinion on art as career? Any professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 01.jpg (342 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
342 KB, 1100x732
/IC/, what is your opinion on art as career?
Any professional artists here?
>>
>>2375876
if you want to study 4 times more than a doctor and get a third of the pay, ya, art is for you.
>>
>>2375876

the biggest mistake you'll make in your entire life.
>>
>>2375876
>>2375900
What he said.

But if you dig the satisfaction of finishing one artwork. It'll be nice.

OR if you can actually market your stuff as something people will want.
>>
>>2375900
bad quality posts always provided!

>>2375876
stupid questions do not require their own thread. navigate catalog>ctr+f>question thread.
>>
>>2375876
Never focus only on art as a career. Use a day job to support your hobby until you make it as an artist.
>>
>>2375900
woah woah woah
art is literally the no1 hobby for medical physicians and these guys can draw better than 99% of /ic/ because art is fucking easy.
Studying medicine, fucking up your mind and soul attending classes from 8 to 5 daily, learning stupid shit you will never apply in real life and risking your entire semester in final exams is about a billion times harder than tracing cartoons.
>>
>>2375876
Its depends were you life.

For example, I live in Estonia, and here if you are making more than 1000€ per month you will be called successful. Full time teachers here making less than 500€ p/m, doctors are making far less than a 2000€p/m. So sometimes, I can receive more than a doctor.

Sorry for my english
>>
>>2375932
>art is literally the no1 hobby for medical physicians and these guys can draw better than 99% of /ic/ because art is fucking easy
citation needed
>>
>>2375928
Ah yes, my hobby of designing coffee makers, one day i'll make it as an industrial designer.
>>
>>2375932
Most doctors can't even write their own name let alone make art to be honest family.
>>
>>2375932
This is an excellent post

>/ic/ think art is hard
you dipshits need to visit the celebrities art thread, those are mediocre compared to what normal people can do and theyre already better than than what /ic/ typically dish out.
also ask the top tier artists in /ic/ what theyre doing for a living, most of them have professional jobs and they only do art as a hobby.
>>
>>2375933
This/

I m thinking right now about mowing into India or Thailand.
>>
>>2375937
>comparing rushed squiggles with time consuming masterpieces
fullretard.jpg
>>
>>2375933
>>2375941

I am very seriously looking into moving to the third world for this reason. For 2-3 years so I can grind fulltime and build both my serious art business and my nonserious commercial garbage sidebusiness (which atm is much more lucrative bc nobody is willing to pay the minimum rates I need to be profitable with my serious work).

I think art CAN be a good career but it takes a fuckton of work and time. And there is no 'life' you could possibly have on the side. If art is your life and all you ever want out of life, then it might be satisfying while you make 30k per year. But even getting to that number will take you two decades.
>>
>>2375876
depends on if you find art itself satisfying to make, if you do, it's a fine career that you should expect around 40-60k a year if you get a studio job.

you will have more highs and lows than many other fields, but overall not horrible.

just get real skill, not conceptual art bullshit.
>>
File: 1449664531907.jpg (353 KB, 1500x1489) Image search: [Google]
1449664531907.jpg
353 KB, 1500x1489
>IC
>Talking shit about art as a career
Nothing changed
>>
>>2375976

you know what's funny? if some d/ic/k posted that painting the replies would be

>head too big
>perspective is fucked
>lighting doesn't make sense
>nose is wrong
>tit is missing

it's only after 'knowing' that the artist as an established professional, that this piece is considered 'good'. that's the problem with this fucking place.

it's the same kind of thing that makes someone go 'hurrdurr Noah is still better than 99% of /ic/' when it couldn't be further from the truth. Noah is fucking terrible yet the average /ic/ imbecile will elevate him simply because he is popular.
>>
>>2375876
>>2375900
It's very much a "Dream" profession as in, if it's your dream you'll love it and not care about the hardships and low pay, but if its not your dream or passion and you're just looking for cash for your talent, you're probably going to find yourself burnt out and struggling.

I have no other careers in my mind that I want to do. Nothing appeals to me enough to go to school for except for art. I do have a backup plan however which I think every artist should have, even if it's just something you could do part time if you ever need to switch careers (Mine is cosmotology and I'm learning it alongside my art so I'll have it if things don't work out as planned. Plus learning makeup has helped my drawings a little bit since it gives a bit of an understanding of facial structure since, well, if you don't know how your face is shaped your makeup is probably going to look pretty shitty.
>>
>>2375876
>in college
>make 3k last month
Yes art is a definitely bad career
>>
>>2376023

Haha in your dreams peanut boy.
>>
>>2376053
Calm down jelly
>>
I see people post this question all the time and people respond with "NO it's low pay and not worth it" That's a stupid answer.

The real answer is you can make good money doing art. If you get picked up by an animation company, or find your way doing freelance work you can make more money then your average 9 to 5 15 dollar an hour job, especially if you get picked up by the animation company, they make like 35 dollars an hour. Freelance is a bit more difficult because you actually have to be good, not just consistent. But in order to get to the point you're good enough to do either of these you have to work your ass off. Art has to be your life, not just a side thing.

But at the end of the day this is not a career for anyone who does not want to do art all day. If your first consideration is the amount of money you'll get, you're already on the wrong track and you'd be happier drawing as an occasional hobby or not drawing at all.
>>
>>2376001
THat artist actually is good. His pictures have energy, good colors and technique and a cohesive style. And Noah is still better than 99% of /ic/. He's not amazing but he's damn better than most people here. Your edgy contrarian attitude is kindof obnoxious.
>>
>>2376152
>The real answer is you can make good money doing art.

You really can't anon. And this kind of talk is legitimately dangerous.
>>
that guy probably spent hundreds of dollars so he can starve on the streets
>>
>>2376182
Then explain how I have 4 different friends, just a year out of college all living in one of the most expensive cities in the world either doing freelance or working at game/animation studios and have enough money buy numerous cintiques and computers and other art shit. I'm actually the worse off of all of us and I'm still doing just fine.
>>
It isn't enough to just be proficient in creating content - you have to create a context for yourself to make a living in today's society. If you have enough determination to get good at what you do, then you should have more than enough determination to also package it in a way that creates value.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.