[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
modern art is pretentious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: asimohistory.jpg (63 KB, 720x424) Image search: [Google]
asimohistory.jpg
63 KB, 720x424
I don't know about artists, painters or sculptors but I like art and I watched a youtube video dissing modern art for being garbage, pretentious and complaining about how stupid it is. I just don't agree, I think they're looking at art by how long it takes to make it / how much effort is put into making it instead of just letting themselves feel it. I definitely see why most people would think it's stupid, and I am going to sound pretentious but they really just can't understand it. Probably because THEY are the ones too far up their own ass to appreciate modern art. Some art can be worth millions to someone, to another it is garbage.

I know a guy who acts like an 8 year old. He laughs at fart jokes and says ifunny is a good website (I went and didn't find any of the jokes funny). The art he likes is obviously art, it's magnificent and colorful like something you'd see in a Disney movie... These are the kind of people that are the farthest from liking modern art - the art he likes is just normal stuff you could make if you had many years of practice in your craft. This must be the flaw in their thinking, they look at art by how hard it is to make, that's why they get mad and call modern art pretentious.
>>
>>2375311
bait harder, maybe you will make an art out of it
>>
I went to art school for 5 years so I've kindof gotten a taste of what it would be like to be in the mindset and setting of a flaky gallery artist. I think it would actually be really interesting to be into modern art or the gallery scene in general. Looking form the outside in modern art seems like the dumbest most pointless thing in the world... and it is... but being in that world is a whole different story. There's a constant development of concepts and people all over the world are participating in it... It sounds neat actually.

Modern art is like memes, they started with a real purpose but get so fucking warped the more they are analyzed/reposted that their contexts change to the point that they are literally the stupidest things on earth and make no sense. Yet people find them funny because of where they came from, not because they are funny in and of themselves. That is almost an exact replica of the art world.

i dunno it's a weird dumb thing to think about.
>>
>>2375311
>modern art is pretentious
we know
>>
>>2376350
you mean to say modern art is the memes of pre-internet rich ppl? or that memes are the modern art of the plebs?
>>
File: dubs_.jpg (204 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
dubs_.jpg
204 KB, 1000x1000
>>2375311 checked

Is it the Prager U video? I hate the way they conflate modern and postmodern art.

I like art about form, colour and surface. Work about the oppression of indigenous transabled otherkin not so much.
>>
>>2375311
muh feels...
the thread

fuck your feelings, objective standards are the way to go
>>
>>2375311
I agree with you, but i think the fact that people don't let themselves "feel" the stuff can be extended to the modern art world as well.
If they were able to the modern art movement would have been over long ago, the point got across: the art world is bullshit, over analysis kills piece after piece, art doesn't happen inside a steril and quiet gallery.
But they just integreted that and are masturbating over it since.
the popular view of the art world is a sensible one, everything seems to be linked to money, like you say " some art can be worth billions to someone", but what does that have to do with anything. Today it seems an abstract painting or some shit on a pedestal, as well as a blockbuster movie seems to only trigger the compulsion to rate and rank. we do it with stars on shitty websites, they do it with their paycheck. but it's the same bullshit.
>>
>>2375311
>I think they're looking at art by how long it takes to make it / how much effort is put into making it instead of just letting themselves feel it.

These people only like artists for their technical skill.

A lot of OMG PROS lament having a "fanbase" of people who just want their jobs.

2ndly, there is a set of people that look to art for answers...when art supposes a question to them they find it incredibly frustrating.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.