[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Berserk halflsleeve finished rate/hate/comment. any questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: zerk.jpg (1 MB, 1663x965) Image search: [Google]
zerk.jpg
1 MB, 1663x965
Berserk halflsleeve finished

rate/hate/comment. any questions about the process ill try to answer best i can

totaled maybe about 8 sessions ranging from 2-5hrs each
>>
File: kill me pls.jpg (18 KB, 180x202) Image search: [Google]
kill me pls.jpg
18 KB, 180x202
>>2372752
Uh, I think you kind of screwed up the face and maybe the shoulder, the left one is a bit high?
But I'm a complete noob and have a very weak grasp of perspective/portions/angles.
If it weren't for the other stuff ( hair, armor etc)
I wouldn't know it is Guts, judging by only the face
Other than that, it's good, GRIFFFIIIIIIITH, Zodd, the details, everything looks nice.
>>
>>2372779
exactly the same opinion from me. that Gutts face is so fucking bad that it's hilarious. but surprisingly others look just fine.
>>
>>2372752
Zodd and Skull are passable, Guts looks absolutely amateur, who is that animu face? Casca? It looks flat out retarded, Femto is weird. How did you allow such Guts is beyond me.
>>
guts looks absolutely terrible, caska is also weird as shit

femto is ok, zodds and skull knight are nice
>>
lol good thing my client liked it.

or at least pretended to
>>
>>2372828
What the fuck do you do when they don't like it? Tell me some stories.
>>
I don't understand how people can get into tattooing

and unending fear of fucking up
>>
>>2372752
Everything is passable except guts and casca ie: the important ones
>>
File: worst-tat-on-earth-4.jpg (27 KB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
worst-tat-on-earth-4.jpg
27 KB, 400x332
>>2372941
I guess you just start really cheap with unending crowd of retards who will be happy about the worst the can get.
>>
>>2372916
Not OP but there are measures in place to make sure they like it well before it ever goes on them. They can see the drawing finished and know this is what it will look like. Unless the artist is a prick he wont mind making as many changes as you need. After all that theres a stencil that goes on, which I can wipe the thing off and put it on again like five six times, I always tell them not to worry about it even if they want me to move it a centimeter.

I dont know 9 out of 10 times its all because they were too nervous or whatever to ask me to change it, or move it.

>>2372941

My boss always told me, what you need a good friends, but not necessarily smart friends. Its unfortunate that you have to make so many mistakes to git gud, and theyre all permanent. But I started out on myself, my legs and thighs and such, after you get used to that those friends come in, by that point you should be well enough to satisfy them, pretty easy when its free. Best part was most of them came back later when I had improved and got stuff touched up/added and paid me for it.
>>
>>2372950
>>2372752

Did you practice your linework on pigskin? I'm starting my apprenticeship in a month and my mentor tells me its useless because its different and doesn't heal. I don't want to mess up a hundred people before I'm able to make good lines.
>>
>>2372752
I'll never understand why so many people choose to get complex tattoos done by amateurs.
Is it an issue of most tattoo artists simply being shit, considering most of these people tend to be working class/counter cultural scum? Are good tattoo artists hard to come by?
>>
>>2373822
Most start at an early age, so their drawing skills are still /ic levels of shit. Then they don't spend time developing because they are busy tattooing. Also not everyone has the drive to constantly improve themselves.
>>
>>2372916
It's never happened, like one anon said they pretty much have a good idea of what it's gonna lol like we sit down and meet maybe multiple times before we start. And as for Guts and KK what can I say. I didnt wanna trace the characters I just like to draw my own way and my client knew that. And I guess with Guts I went garrison from battle chasers with it but I liked him fuck that.

>>2372941
Its stats that way but if you've been drawing your whole life it just becomes another medium to get used to. You fuck up on friends first then get better. PLENTY of people will get a free tattoo at a professional place done by the apprentice. I tattooed myself first that was easy but when I started on my very first person my hand would shake as I got close to the skin
>>
>>2373806
Not the other anon but, I can weigh in on this.

Pig skin doesn't feel the same as real skin.
Some folks'll say that its almost like the real deal, but you can't gauge if you're hurting your client or not and exactly because of what your mentor said. Idea behind that is simple, a line can look good the day of the tat, but can later come off if you didn't deposit the ink deep enough in the skin.

If you're in it for the long haul and don't have any qualms about the career choice you've made, roll up them pants and roll down them socks. Start small, start simple and don't bite off more than you can chew even if you're real confident about your lines. Bonus points if you can cover them up later on creatively. Remember, the ink has to stay on the customer for it to be a tattoo so self experimentation is a must - in my opinion.

>>2372916
Lol, I can also weigh in on this too

Any artist working for a living is also a salesman. Charm helps smooth over any bumps so if you got it, use it. Honesty, though, will save you if you fuck up bad 100% of the time. When I first started, I used to tell everyone I was still learning and right away you'll see who still wants to get down to it.
Also, clients seek you out so they know what to expect or they're pointed in your direction even if you're lousy - usually its cause you charge cheaper than the more experienced artists. There is no lack of people who will pay cheap to get practiced on - sober or not. Thats how I learned.

Ultimately, in the absolute beginning, just stand by your stuff and even if they're unsatisfied you pull out those customer service skills you've learned so far in life and if they come back, they do, if not, they don't.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.