[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for advice about watercolor. This is my second
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160129_194604.jpg (401 KB, 912x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_194604.jpg
401 KB, 912x1600
I'm looking for advice about watercolor. This is my second time using it and I really like it, but I also really like ink. Watercolor paper tends to reject ink and sketch book paper wrinkles with watercolor. Any other things I should try? Also all feedback and/or asshole tearing is welcome.
>>
>>2372327
Looking nice so far, anon.
What watercolor paper do you use?
I often combine watercolour and ink and haven't had problems with it so far.
I know there to be paper for japanese ink painting (sumi-e) wich is supposed to be very absorbent.
>>
>>2372327
>sketch book paper wrinkles with watercolor.
You need to stretch your paper before you use it for watercolour, or it will buckle. Googling "stretching watercolour paper" will give you heaps of different ways to do this.

Other than that, its looking pretty cool.
>>
depends on the ink! sumi-e and india ink I think are popular and waterproof once they are dry. check 'em out
>>
>>2372327

what >>2372355
said, and if you're just using sketchbook paper I'd advise taping down the sides, and when you're all done and it's dry trying to force flatten it with some books
>>
>>2372429
Yep. Taping it down is a necessity.

You can also paint an X on the back of the piece with acrylic paint which will flatten it out.
>>
>>2372351
I just bought a book of standard "watercolor paper". It says A4. I'm not to familiar with different types but ink didnt go on smooth, maybe it was because I was drawing on top of the paints and had nothing to do with the paper? Thanks for the advice guys
>>
Fuck watercolor paper. It's for amateurs.

Go get some watercolor board. Shits like an inch thick so you either need to have an awesome boxknife or a tablesaw to cut it into smaller pieces.
>>
>>2373333
What's the advantages? How does it require more skill than just paper?
>>
>>2373335
It doesn't take more skill it's just nobody knows about it.

You don't have to dick around with stretching paper or any of that shit prep work you have to do with paper. Board doesn't wrinkle or absorb the water color nearly as fast. This way you get to play around with mixing pigments and going other neat watercolor only effects. Water hugs the shit out of board so you can pick up the board and move the colors around using the board itself.

paper has always been unwieldy for me so when I discovered board it was amazzinngg.

I think it was crescent brand. It's basically just a thicker illustration board.
>>
>>2373339
They're just regular 100% cotton paper mounted to a board. They eliminate the need for stretching, but so does buying a pad of regular paper that's glued on all sides.
>>
>>2373529
Regular paper...? As in printer paper or thick sketching paper?
>>
>>2373619
I meant normal watercolor paper, as opposed to a board. Instead of buying loose sheets or regular pads you can get blocks that are glued on all sides so the paper won't buckle. Boards are great for finished work, but if you're studying they are needlessly expensive.
>>
>>2373339
those 140lb crescent boards are as expensive as an arches 300 lbs paper same size, I rather have the 300 lbs as they don't buckle as well.

better get 140lb pre-stretch blocks instead to save money.
>>
Like another anon said, watercolor pads that are glued on every side are what might work for you, I use ferrario "tintoretto", not a fan of the very rough texture (it was a gift) but it reacts well to both watercolors and inks, also maybe there's paper from the same line that's smoother. If you are looking for watercolor sketchbooks I usually use moleskine watercolor, and tape the page down if I plan to use a lot of water (works well with inks too). Maybe you can find something cheaper but I had no luck, wanted to try Vang's watercolor sketchbook but the shipping made it too expensive. If you keep having problems with inks you could try another type of ink or try on a canvas
>>
elmer's rubber cement (it should be acid free, but check for that one anyways) + binder clips + your favourite watercolour paper = enjoy your block

that is, if your paper isn't already a part of a block or board
>>
Some dumb idiot girl in one of my painting classes dropped a bunch of money of an Arches block and proudly proclaimed that she spent hours cutting off each individual page.
>mfw
>>
Any advice on where to start with watercolor and a general direction to getting gud with it? It's a pain-in-the-ass medium I want to master.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.