[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to increase your creativity? I've been doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: igib5ov.jpg (825 KB, 2479x3508) Image search: [Google]
igib5ov.jpg
825 KB, 2479x3508
Is there a way to increase your creativity? I've been doing so many academic style drawings lately that I feel like I can't do anything unique or memorable.

When I sit down to draw something "fun" as a break from yet another study, I end up drawing some banal monster, knight or other unoriginal crap.

What can I do to get out of this rut? How does /ic/ flex it's creative muscles?
>>
a practice i always enjoyed was to get two people to give me the first word that came to mind, and to incorporate that in to a drawing. i think brainstorming original ideas takes a matter of stepping away from what you're used to and instead inventing on a conceptual, symbolic, and linguistic level. you could always pen down some words and figure out how to best portray them in a design sense.

also, i really dig the brushwork in that pic. if it's yours, how did you achieve that wash of colour? it's really nice.
>>
File: 1452787918249.png (54 KB, 248x257) Image search: [Google]
1452787918249.png
54 KB, 248x257
Read books

DM for /tg/ games
>>
>>2371404
I wish it was my work. It's Yoji Shinkawa.
>>
This >>2371407 . Books are best for developing your imagination.
>>
Give yourself an 'assignment' in the form of a certain topic ("banal monster" works) and spend a while doing SCAMPER. It's typically used for industrial product design, but the point of it is that you run through all options (with or without references on the side) and pick the best ones to develop from, rather than drawing the first thing that comes to mind.
Explanation: http://designjournalsos.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-is-scamper.html
>>
>>2371499
This is great
>>
>>2371388
Mind maps. A good idea would be to write out some random objects and try to fit them to what you're going for. Do mixtures between things that are totally different things, like what Dawn Horizon is doing. Take scenes from your favorite movies and try to draw out your own rendition of what you liked. Etc. Etc. There's a ton of shit you can do anon.
>>
File: MI0003237403.jpg (33 KB, 400x361) Image search: [Google]
MI0003237403.jpg
33 KB, 400x361
Dude, legit let your mind wander off into some misic and just draw whatever feels good, if you force and think to much you wont be happy with the end result
>>
>>2371469
>>2371407
Can you recommend some books?
>>
>>2371388
>I end up drawing some banal monster, knight or other unoriginal crap.

Immediately disconnect from all GIT GUD artist circles. Their narrow and rigid view of "good art" is a cancerous hive mind.

Continue academic studies that strengthen foundation.

Take up different mediums/artforms, digital or traditional it doesn't matter, one will influence and strengthen the other.

Abandon your heroes and find new ones, preferably dead ones.

Study nature.
>>
>>2371563

There's this guy, Jacek Dukaj, he makes really awesome science-fiction and has incredible world-building. Unfortunetally most of his works aren't translated into English and I haven't read his "Old Axolotl".

https://vimeo.com/119228459

I guess best bet would be to choose someone who has very descriptive language, likes going surreal or is in any other way known for his unusual style.

Well, there are obvious examples like works of Kafka, there are ofc fantasy classics like Ursula Le Guin and Tolkien. There's Neil Gaiman and his "American Gods" nicely mixed mundane/modern with mythological and fantastical.

I mean, it would be best to ask /lit/ or some of your friends, there's just so many nice works of fiction.
>>
>>2371388
It's time t stop studying and start creating.
/ic/ will tell you to stop this because they don't want you to get better and leave like everyone who has gotten better before you.
But yes, studying ins't the be-all end-all, the only thing that gets you is perpetual disapointment because you'll never be perfect. Once you have a good construction method and a serviceable rendering method learnt, it's time to throw the books in a box and start creating, looking at notthing but reality for further observation, exploration and understanding.
>>
File: 1447921504027.jpg (62 KB, 396x691) Image search: [Google]
1447921504027.jpg
62 KB, 396x691
>>2371559
No
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.