[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>acquaintance asks me to do a logo for him > goes over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: AwkwardSeal.jpg (60 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
AwkwardSeal.jpg
60 KB, 600x338
>acquaintance asks me to do a logo for him
> goes over telling me what he wants the logo to look like
> tell him I'll do it
> wait for him to ask me how much it will cost
> too awkward to mention I want to charge him
> couple if days later pass
>"hey how's the logo coming along?"
> Me: "just In sketching stages right now. Did you need it at a certain time?"
> Him "nah not until May or June but I figured if it was done already I could show some people at this game tournament I'm hosting in Feb. But take your time."
> Me: "ok"
> still no discussion of price has been brought up

Granted, doing art for people at this point is not my main source of income but I'd also like to be paid for my efforts.
How do I bring up that I'd like to be paid for this, especially at this point? I'd still like to do the logo since I have a fun design for it, but I hope he doesn't get turned off by me asking for him to pay something. Since he's an acquaintance and this logo is only for some video game event he's hosting, I probably wouldn't charge that much, maybe like $30-$40, but I still don't know how to go about it.
>>
Your own fault fucko
>>
>>2370465
Do the logo with no effort.
>>
>>2370465
"Hey mate I am really having a hard time with your logo, I have to much stuff to do so I might drop it unless you pay me some money"
>>
You shouldn't expect someone to ask to pay you, especially not in a world where artists are regularly taken for granted.
Don't agree to do something without making an agreement on payment if you expect to be paid for your work.
See >>2370480, this is your own fault. Now that you've waited a few days after agreeing it's going to be awkward to raise.

You could give him an invoice when you're finished but that might be awkward too. If you do that, I suggest you make it reasonably cheap, and remember that if he's an asshole he might keep the art and not pay you anyway.
>>
File: 1445220317331.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1445220317331.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
>>2370465
Tell him to buy you beer for the logo.

Of course, don't be autistic about it.
>>
>>2370465
Unfortunately when freelancing, you gotta be upfront about pricing. It can be awkward, but saying shit like 'So what's your budget?' can make it sound like you're trying to work with them, which has a positive effect on the relationship, rather then a 'pay me money fagt' type of attitude.

I'd go with >>2370488 or >>2370508

Or just do a shit job with no changes allowed. Or if you like them, do them a good turn, do your best, and learn from this mistake. Or whatever you think is best for your situation.
>>
If you didn't mention it at the start there is no way you can bring it up now. Just do the logo nicely since your only payment is going to be exposure
>>
Ok so what if I say this? This is over a Facebook messenger conversation I should mention.

> Also, I meant to mention this earlier but I kept forgetting and feel bad for bringing it up now, but I don't really do this kind of work for free... Doing art is a basically my side business lol. I hope you don't mind, but to do this, it's gonna cost about $40. Is that ok?"
>>
>>2370508
I've never met him in person. He's like a friend of a friend but I've only spoken to him through Skype or Facebook.
>>
Fucking christ stop being such a fucking useless cunt and just say you want money.

Did this really need a whole thread for that? Are you that fucking retarded?
>>
Next time at least ask what their budget is so you can gauge how much work to put in. Once you get enough work you can throw a number out during negotiations.
>>
>>2370465

yeah, just don't work with/for friends ever. it doesn't work out.
>>
>>2370465
>Hey anon you draw right?
What's your budget?

Always, always ask "What's your budget?" as soon as someone starts talking about their "projects". Then point them to the "Good, Cheap, Fast" diagram and let them know "Free" is not in the diagram because "Whenever the fuck I feel like drawing your stuff" isn't either.

Asking them about budget as soon as they start babling is good to prevent hard feelings because it can be sweet lipped into being "business advice for your project".
>>
>>2370825
Pretty much this. I've done it enough times to know that it's not worth it. You can't ever expect your friends to understand the value of art nor your time, they have it in their mind that drawing, no matter what, is super enjoyable for all of us and that we should be flattered we were even asked to draw for them.Letting your friends know you draw is almost as big of a mistake as letting them know that you know how to fix computers.
>>
Ok I asked him that I meant to say it earlier but since this is a side business of mine it's gonna cost him at least $40 to do this.

He gave me a thumbs up. So I guess everything's good?
>>
>>2370960
And by thumbs up I mean an emoji of course. I would usually charge at least 3-4 times more the amount but it's a friend of a friend that does a video game show with us and it's only for a video game tournament he's hosting so.... yeah.
>>
File: 1448611274314.jpg (43 KB, 392x768) Image search: [Google]
1448611274314.jpg
43 KB, 392x768
>>2370962
Worst case scenario he pays you $40 but doesn't comission from you anymore because he is a stingy jew.

Best case scenario he likes your stuff and might ask you for more work later on. At which point you might have easier time talking about the payment.

Good job anon
>>
>>2370542

just tell him you aren't doing this for free. if he wants a logo out of you, then you'll need compensation for your time and knowledge. if he says no, then fuck off and go do art faggot.
>>
File: wink.gif (2 MB, 498x331) Image search: [Google]
wink.gif
2 MB, 498x331
>>2370825
Usually, doing a favor here and there for a friend is a normal thing friends do, if they aren't retards they understand they got free shit from you and will take you out for a beer and next time you need a favor they will be more than glad to do it.

Only time this dynamic changes if they ask too much or too often. At that point you have to tell them you can't do this shit for them for free, either he gives you something for your time and effort or you decline, often people don't realize they ask too much especially when they don't understand the process. This is the way it worked with most of my friends. I'm a computer guy and I like to help, but when it's too much I decline or tell them they need to give me something in return because it's too much to ask/It takes too much of my time.
>>
>>2370465
You need a price schedule
I'm not sure if I'm thinking this right.
But if u want to do it for 30$ and make your price ex:15$ an hour so 2 hours. Make him pay a small deposit then once the 2 hours are done, show him what you've done in a low quality format then make him pay the rest for the full quality. If he wants more tell him it'll take another x hours depending on how much u want for it.

Anybody has better idea?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.