[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can study of theory fundamentals and anatomy for too long hinder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1429202945902.jpg (455 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
1429202945902.jpg
455 KB, 1698x1131
Can study of theory fundamentals and anatomy for too long hinder creative ability?

Obviously these things are important, but I sometimes wonder if there aren't dangers in going too far in the other direction.
>>
>>2370194
Here's my take,

You're supposed to study the foundations of art in order for you to have a solid understanding on what you want to draw or paint. It gives you a nice workflow since you know how the theory works.

It's similar to the foundation of any structure. You must have a solid foundation in order for the structure to stand firmly. A weak foundation might make the the building collapse halfway during the construction or will have a sloppy product afterwards.
>>
>>2370194
If that's all you're doing? Yes. Creativity, like all things, is something you need to work at. Think of it as a muscle; if you don't give it some work, it's going to atrophy. If you haven't used it at all, don't expect it to be strong.
>>
No it won't hinder your creative ability it will just halt it's progression
However if you're really retarded and listen to far too much Feng Zhu you'll probably develop a less creative way of thinking

Does anybody have the progression image of someones drawing of General Ackbar where it goes from drawing with alot of character to boringly over rendered 3d looking concept art?
>>
>>2370194
No, not really. But if all you do is study, you're at a much bigger risk of burning out. Make time to just draw freely, or draw personal work, alongside the studies. I know that may seem obvious to some, but others need to hear and most importantly do this.
>>
While we're at it, can extensive gesture drawing and abstraction lead to symbol drawing? I've started making certain kinds of marks without even looking at the reference simply because I've made that same mark a thousand times without worrying about how accurately it describes the model. I can't stop doing it. Has gesture ruined me?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.