[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ic/ how do i get this sort of gesture sketch style to when I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: james_jean.png (566 KB, 662x662) Image search: [Google]
james_jean.png
566 KB, 662x662
/ic/ how do i get this sort of gesture sketch style to when I draw in pencil? It's so attractive. Any tips to practice pressure and sketching in general?
>>
git gud
>>
>>2369689
Find some of those model posing videos or websites and draw with a fine ballpoint pen, it'll feel kind of like pencil but you'll gain confidence through lack of erasing.
>>
>>2369701
my problem with that is that i don't have enough variation of pressure with my strokes. I draw strokes in one continuous line. My sketching is always sloppy and pressed way too hard.
>>
Start with lightest strokes you can.

Build the whole picture with fluid, uninterrupted strokes, including he places where the shadows might be. Don't worry about proportions when starting. Worry a little more about gesture/ composition/ shapes/ that shit.

Use a less lighter stroke to build the figure, but keep them fluid.

As you can see, most of the darker strokes are lighter strokes one atop the other.

Use an F pencil. F pencils let you use a really wide range of tones, from 2h to 4b.
>>
>>2369706
Use a mechanical pencil. That way I learned to control how much presure do I apply on the tip
>3muchPressure, it fucking breaks
>>
>>2369708
thanks anon!
do you think building the form Bridgman style will hinder progress for a more fluid style (like where you draw out the cylinder and stuff), or should I do it constantly for practice but on dedicated pieces try not to use it?
>>2369709
Does the type of mechanical pencil matter (can i just use some shitty target mechanical or do I need a Uni Koga). and is 0.5mm better to use or 0.7mm?
>>
>>2369713
Not the same anon, but I use a 0.5 Graphgear 500 by Pentel. It cost $12 on Amazon to get one with 3 lead refill cartridges and it's way better than some shitty plastic target pencil. And the cartridges themselves last awhile and they're extremely cheap.
>>
>>2369713
You can use a shitty mechanical pencil if you want, but they're not great.

Pentel graphgear is a good series if you want to get a long lasting one, as anon said >>2369723
I have the 1000 myself.

0.5 is fine, I prefer it personally because it's that tiny bit more fine but 0.7 is just as workable with.
>>
File: sketchytest.jpg (77 KB, 522x665) Image search: [Google]
sketchytest.jpg
77 KB, 522x665
>>2369689
Learn to have really good control of your pencil in pressure and line. Start out very light with long, expressive lines. Know anatomy and volume really well and make sure you have a good light source. Use line for shadow values and instead of filling in the value, follow the contour of the form. Look at how he shades the knees, feet, neck, face. Hes following the form.

tl;dr Learn to have really good control of your pencil and know the fundamentals.

I tried something in photoshop just for fun. You can probably do it digitally too.
>>
>>2369894
That's a nice arm m8.
>>
>>2369894
Nice lines son, loved it. will save at my paste
>>
>>2369713
Shitty works. Just make sure the lead is not shit. However a decent one won't cost you an arm and a leg and they feel a million times better. They also last a long ass time, you only need lead refills.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.