[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how true is this! fuck modern art: https://www.youtube.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18
File: wallpaper-22894.jpg (318 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-22894.jpg
318 KB, 1600x1200
how true is this!

fuck modern art:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA8SI_KvqI
>>
>>2369390
Eh. Why watch this when you can be drawing instead? People like different things. I saved you the time OP.
>>
>>2369390

absolute boss
>>
>>2369404
good point i agree but also see that one one side even at art schools its a dumbing down of creative free thinkers and in away trapping them into believing that they are free and making forward progress in art meanwhile its actually a degradation to society, but your totally right tho seriously.
>>
>>2369390
well, I for one agree with him
>>
>>2369390
Another uncultured retard who can't appreciate modern art. Meh
>>
File: ZHMyBzc.jpg (30 KB, 374x373) Image search: [Google]
ZHMyBzc.jpg
30 KB, 374x373
>>2369390
MFW the modern art movement ended in the 80's and this guy has no idea what the fuck he is even talking about.

Mfw he cant even figure out that his problem is with specifically conceptual art.

MFW the CIA dumped money to non-representative artists during the actual modern art era to fight the spread of communism and promote individuality and independent thought.

MFW I still recognize that it backfired hard as fuck

MFW they teach art history in college for a reason.

MFW when people still post without knowing what they are posting about

MFW I realize that I'm on /ic/ and everyone here is an armchair drawing professor.
>>
>>2369755
I spit my water on the keyboard reading your comment.
I name this piece of drying performance art "dawn of mankind"

Give me my 10 million dollars please, I'm brilliant
this post is an art piece too btw, another 10 million
>>
>>2369390
Pretty true.
>>
>>2369390
He hit the nail on the head.

If only the rest of the world had common sense.
>>
>>2369390

We had these threads before, some random fucks do videos on youtube "why modern art sucks" and plebs nod their heads in approval and click those likes/upvotes/subscriptions.

I knew video would be shit when in first seconds he showed this Duchamp's urinal.
>>
>>2369390
>...pretentious twats trying to make themselves look sophisticated....
From somebody who thinks their opinions are important enough to deliver them to camera, uploaded to a YouTube channel with a photo of the thinker as a banner; someone who is so enlightened by their own intelligence they don't need to glance at Wikipedia to check if they are using modern correctly before they share their opinion with the world, though I see many of the retards here have the same problem. I'm sure there was some more stupid shit said later on, but I couldn't stand the bellowing autimsal delivery further.
>>
File: 笑butthurt.jpg (225 KB, 1263x660) Image search: [Google]
笑butthurt.jpg
225 KB, 1263x660
>h-he's not using the term modern art correctly!

The fact that you welfare queens are getting so thoroughly btfo by a gamergate hipster from infowars that your only argument is your usual whining about semantics is an absolute delight
>>
Contemporary art is more about some cheap"philosophical" musing than the piece itself. The concept overtook everything, the artwork itself cannot stand on its own. Past movements like the Symbolists did have underlying concepts and symbols, but the paintings were still interesting on their own without that knowledge.
>>
File: FILE19632.jpg (91 KB, 957x430) Image search: [Google]
FILE19632.jpg
91 KB, 957x430
I don't care for modern art.
I don't care for the elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZi3ThrI0vw
>>
File: 1425683681845.png (316 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1425683681845.png
316 KB, 375x375
>>2369856
May Niggah
>>
>>2369892

No one is arguing because there's no reason to. It's no use to argue with someone who just don't know art history or reasons/ideas behind the art movements.

It's actually pretty boring and honestly pathetic to hear same shit guys were saying in 30s. "It's degenerate", "not pretty", "elitist snobbs", "I could do that in 2 minutes" etc.

Also it's pretty insane that for the video that is supposedly about modern art he managed to cram there "liberal, SJW, #Gamer Gate" and photos of some insane transvestites. How old that guy is? 19? Is he that angry, weird kid in his class that is fascinated with nationalism? He is nearly spitting with his big nigger lips when he vomits his words and stares without blinking at the camera with his red, sad eyes.
>>
File: youmad.jpg (154 KB, 961x815) Image search: [Google]
youmad.jpg
154 KB, 961x815
>>2369912
>abloo bloo bloo

Don't worry, in time you mentally ill retards and your elephant tier shit art are all going back to the asylum where you belong, a place where you can all sit around and mutter big mysterious art words like 'composition' to make yourselves sound smart in front of the other drug addled schizophrenics. You got shit on by a british hipster associated with Alex Jones and you can't say dick about it because everyone that isn't already a cultish sycophant can see that he's right and that you're butthurt af, family. He's more or less just repeating what the former chairman of the Institute of Contemporary Arts had said. Do you think you know more about art than him? Well, you don't, so

Stay mad
Stay sad
Stay bad
Forever
>>
File: 2qd339w.jpg (47 KB, 445x501) Image search: [Google]
2qd339w.jpg
47 KB, 445x501
>>2369934
>mfw assragnaroked /pol/tard think he knows about art near me
why don't your start posting your jew infographics already faggot
>>
File: oh those retards again.jpg (25 KB, 200x436) Image search: [Google]
oh those retards again.jpg
25 KB, 200x436
>>2369934

You aren't even trying at this point, 2/10 is the absolute most that I can give you. Next time put a bigger effort if you don't want to repeat your class.
>>
>>2369390
This guy is a total retard and has always been talking total shit in all of his videos.
>>
>>2369939
>>2369943

>It is the product of an over-indulged middle class (barely concealed behind mockney accents), bloated egos who patronise real people with fake understanding," he writes. "Thousands of young artists wait in the wings to see whether the taste arbiters will relinquish their exclusive fascination with concept art.

>"It's a crime. We need art lovers to tell artists that they're not obliged to reinvent themselves into creators of piles of crap.

>"We've now reached a situation where a new generation of art students go to college with the idea of becoming rich and famous like their idols Emin and Damien Hirst, to act like rock stars instead of aspiring to artistic excellence through a tangible medium.

>"It seems sad that so many talented young artists, clawing to be noticed for their craft, are forced to ditch their talent and reinvent themselves as creators of video installations, or a machine that produces foam in the middle of a room."
>>
File: americans.jpg (19 KB, 384x395) Image search: [Google]
americans.jpg
19 KB, 384x395
>>2369964
>implying you're not part of an over-indulged middle class
>>
dam went to work came back , this thread did get a bit out of hand, i guess people are divided

great comments every one, gave me tons to consider concerning my own art career
>>
File: retinal visceral.png (586 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
retinal visceral.png
586 KB, 800x750
>>
>>2369810
Correct. Self taught artists need to Self teach themselves some basic fucking art history.

Confusing Modern art with Contemporary/Conceptual art tells me you likely don't know jack shit about the art you claim to actually like a.k.a. MUH MASTERS.

Meanwhile the jobs these guys covet, i.e. Lead Photobasher at Ubisoft Bulgaria... Will require you to have had researched this stuff so you don't make an ass out of yourself slapping some famous piece of architecture onto your robot-cops' shoulder pauldron.
>>
>>2369755

your post is art
>>
File: Road to Success.jpg (1 MB, 1402x1812) Image search: [Google]
Road to Success.jpg
1 MB, 1402x1812
you can locate those faggots here
>>
File: faggot.jpg (85 KB, 951x629) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
85 KB, 951x629
>>2371634
>reactionaries
>bourgeoisie

kill yourself
>>
>>2371688
Can you point some directions? Books, etc. I know nothing about art history, but I'd like to know
>>
>>2371704
hmm makes sense. except i was waiting for the railroad of shortcuts to derail at some point. would be better
>>
>>2369856

fucking this.

I don't much care for conceptual art as I thing to consume regularly for cultural enjoyment. But you have to be a completely wilfully fucking ignorant and conceited to think that contemporary art has "no value whatsoever".
>>
>>2369404

>Why x when you can be drawing instead?

These comments are generally pointless. It can be assumed that people are either on /ic/ in their in-between time or don't plan to draw.
>>
>>2369856
Ok so you've neglected to rebutt his argument and instead focused on his 'ego', 'autistic delivery', and knowledge of modern art.

FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC JOB
You are the problem with society. You are a shill who does not confront facts.
You should know what he means when he says 'modern art' and gives examples. You are, in every way, a fucking idiot. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2369390
As a former Zealot server leader in WAR, I now has nostalgia feels from pic. /wrist
>>
>>2369755
Being able to make this post is literally the sole reason sans money laundering modern art exists
>>
>>2371634
>unironically using the word bourgeois to justify garbage smeared on canvas as art.

wew lad
>>
>>2372210
>You are, in every way, a fucking idiot. Prove me wrong.
Not in every way, but in indulging you I am as good as admitting stupidity. But anyway:

His ego is relevant, for both his hypocrisy and, as I said before, it is probably a contributing factor to him thinking his raw opinions sans knowledge or research are important enough to broadcast. This leads to him overgeneralising and some pretty basic faults which should not happen. If I am supposed to fill in the gaps of an argument in order to respond to it, it is probably not a very good one. His tone is relevant (though I was just commenting on how his spittle inflected manner made it painful for me to watch), his choice of puerile hyperbole over incisive, concise criticism negatively affects his argument.

He paints Ron Mueck as an outsider to favour his point which is an outright fabrication, he has had solo exhibitions at major galleries across the world; and for some reason pits him 1 vs, 1 with Matisse, who I suppose at least is genuinely modern but hardly a conceptual artist or a particular darling of "the establishment". He disingenuously borrows the Stuckists, though figurative the majority of their output would have him in an apoplectic rage if he spergs over Matisse of all people, who became largely uncontroversial in his own time. After the Stuckists he gets a bit confused using the Lisa Levy “The Artist Is Humbly Present" performance piece to agree with him before going on almost breathlessly to criticise it as conceptual shit.

cont
>>
>>2372431
Whether not he got permission to use a grab from the Prager 'University' video, he lifts some of its content for his diatribe without attribution. Like the Prager video he makes mention of objective standards but makes no attempt to qualify those standards. The LACMA rock spiel is paraphrased directly from the Prager video, complete with dishonest reduction of the work Levitated Mass as just a rock, rather than the rock, the trench, perhaps the context of the space in which it sits. This might seem a minor issue, but if you vehemently dislike it, no amount of explaining will change your mind, a little bit less insincere reductionism can't hurt. He's not going to win anyone over with his manner, so I suppose it's a moot point if he's only playing to a home crowd. With shoddy editing, by accident or design he also implied that the LACMA rock was publicly funded, it was not.

He eventually goes off the rails; #GamerGate, also buying into the cultural Marxism conspiracy theory, and I will explain this without hyperbole; a conspiracy in which the West, our educational institutions, universities particularly, were infiltrated by the Soviets so effectively that they are self sustaining brainwashing centres, graduates of which are irrevocably brainwashed, left or right, unable to question or only able to ask 'safe' questions of the non-specific brainwashing. I'm a bit shaky on the actual details of that last part but the complete absence of agency that the brainwashees are required to have for this to work reeks of a literally high-functioning autistic worldview. This worldview is exhibited in his inability to relate to people with differing tastes to his own; people can't genuinely like Pollock, "it's all just an act".

And finally he claimed he would argue objectively, I genuinely wonder whether that's a dry joke I missed as there was no attempt objectivity, no reasoning, only angry autismal feels, a theatrical hatewank for a slice of the YouTube dollar.
>>
>>2372210

I know I won't convince you to change your opinion, but if you aren't an idiot (though your melodrama, sub-/v/-tier misuse of shill, and suggestion that knowledge doesn't matter indicate otherwise) and you want a position that aligns with your own but that isn't a childish rant appealing to children (complete with juvenile puns about 'rude words') look to Roger Scruton.
>>
>>2372210

>You should know what he means when he says 'modern art' and gives examples.

Alright you really are fucking retarded. You want to reward ignorance? The guy in the video hasn’t even done bare minimum research required to have a fucking opinion.

This guy has beef with CONCEPTUAL ART/CONCEPTUALISM. A DECADES OLD MOVEMENT that has been discussed to death. He’s LATE.

He uses a blanket term for a period that covers nearly all of fucking art history going back to Manet and Rodin. A history that includes dozens of artists and movements people who "hate modern art" fucking LIKE.

How am I suppose to "know what he means"? If he himself doesn't know what he fucking means. It’s not about semantics, It’s about education.

Contemporary art is art happening now.
Get your fucking shit together and you too can fairly critique the parts of it you think are garbage without sounding like a fucking mong.

>a shill who does not confront facts.

Sorry what? You willfully disregarding facts for 'muh feels' proves you are an idiot. Cheering and smugly smiling to pleb feed videos from INFOWARS makes you an idiot. Maybe try “red-pilling” yourself on some actual history instead of clickbait.
>>
>>2371688
look asshole, you can point to good bits of modern art, they exist, but the overwhelming glut is shit, from that spawned conceptual art and contemporary, and there are good pieces in both categories, but again the overwhelming glut of it is shit.

modern art as a movement or modern art as referring to when it was made, i don't care, the point stands that an overwhelming glut of what is produced and given space to exist is shit
>>
>>2369390
>infowars
cmon
>>
>>2373298
if I pretend for a moment that my subjective taste is objective, most cinema is shit, most music is shit. why sperg about the visual arts specifically?
>>
>>2375291

Is and always was shit. People hundreds years ago sperged totally the same "all is shit". That's among others why impressionist took such radical turn towards art.
>>
Low hanging fruit.
>>
>>2369390
>can only be appreciated by a select number of privileged insiders, they can then sneer at the uninitiated and then justify their own intellectual superiority
Are you guys even listening to this? No one is doing this. And no one is giving "DEEP"(whatever the fuck that is) meaning to any kind of art. The people that think this are putting themselves in an imaginary box of their own making (of not being in some "club" and not being worthy).
>>
>>2373298
>good bits of modern art, they exist, but the overwhelming glut is shit, from that spawned conceptual art and contemporary

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Stay believing infowars of all things fucking kek.

Stay believing ARC bullshit regurgitated 2nd hand by git gud scrubs.

Like posts from soccer moms who crack jokes on fb about how "my kid can do that"
>>
>>2369390
I was with him until he started yelling about SJWs and goobergate.
>>
File: im an artist hurr durr.jpg (757 KB, 2000x1218) Image search: [Google]
im an artist hurr durr.jpg
757 KB, 2000x1218
Look guys! Some modern art! Presented by a museum of modern art! Don't use the term 'modern art' to describe it though! You might annoy an elitist pseudo-intellectual abstractfag and have your opinions subsequently dismissed by one of these pedantic "professionals"! Why, if you use "modern art" in a sentence in an argument you've already lost, because despite the fact that any normal person knows that you're using it as an umbrella term for the kind of ugly shit art for blind retards that proliferate failing, government funded museums and understands what you're talking about, the abstractfag fresh from his $50,000 a semester art college knows that it's REALLY "dada-abstract-post-modernist-conceptual-deconstructionist-expressionism" and that this distinction is incredibly important.

http://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1560?locale=en
>>
>>2369390
>Paul Watson

Holy shit this guy is a faggot.
>>
>>2375584
>Returns to painting a Dragon-human hybrid donned in the sickest of armors.
>>
>>2369964
Is this something people actually believe? Do they not realize that there are tons of great contemporary representational artists out there? These people just spew their monologues about modern art being universally terrible, but never take the time to search for those artists they think they want so badly but believe don't exist.
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (200 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
200 KB, 1000x750
>>2375693
>Returns to painting a grossly inferior derivative of the decades old works of Pollock or creating garbage "installations" that make Duchamp's century-old "ready mades" look tasteful

>being just as supposedly "creatively bankrupt" and derivative as the most mundane fantasy artist or an "aspiring mangaka" but having absolutely no technical ability or understanding whatsoever

>posting on a board you and your monkey art don't belong at because you desire approval from your Dragon-human hybrid drawing superiors

I'm lmaoing at ur life abstractfag
>>
>>2371846

Only really ever to be a smarmy cunt.
>>
File: S3305.jpg (249 KB, 458x578) Image search: [Google]
S3305.jpg
249 KB, 458x578
>>2375584

And you are still going on even though you were told from retards. Man, seriously? I bet you never heard about Stuckism, Superstroke, Kitsch painting and the like. You seem to ignore that Street and Urban art came into galleries or that classical and cynical realism are still a thing. Hell, burgers have The Ashland Academy of Art which focuses totally on classical realism and it's very much contemporary art movement.

Where you ever in museum of contemporary art? There's really everything there. If conceptualism isn't your thing, you can see lots of different installations there including photography.
>>
>>2375745

*were you ever been in (...)
>>
>>2375718
>Surrounded by Giclee prints from his digital art heroes.

Whatever you say, I can be inspired by Modern art and not partake. Modern Industrial Design, Furniture Design, and Architecture are evidence of this.
>>
>>2375584
>using words correctly is pedantry
>using words correctly is hard
You are a literal retard.
>>
>>2375713
Yes genuinely. I don;t understand it, it is the equivalent of equating all cinema with capeshit.
>>
>>2371634
>leaves little to the minds
leftcucks really are the simplest ones
>>
>>2375745
Not him but Stuckists are hypocrites, they annoy me as much as the most pompous of the YBAs, like communists to fascists they hate conceptual artists but don't seem to be able to grasp the ironing that much of their art and protest actions is conceptual in itself. For a group of figurative painters they really dig word art too.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, expecting what would be a rather stifling purity of them due to their reactionary nature; but then I think back to the start when they were supposed to be a Remodernist group which has pretty noble ideals but kicked things off with shit like Thompson's cynical and jaded ...Serota...
>>
FYI, this guy is some british conservative who thinks climate change is a scam and is all around a douchebag
>>
in addition, he's one of those conspiracy theorist types(he's of prisonplanet) in the same vein as alex jones

OP, just pretend guys like these dont exist, they're really a sham to the human race
>>
>>2376031
I guess using modern art as an umbrella term is only bad when you're talking shit about it and the mouth breathers that defend this mental illness need a bit of petty minutiae to use as a red herring. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the Museum of Modern Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mngjs-QsaPM

Kill yourself, my man

>>2379899
That's nice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
>>
>>2379899
>who thinks climate change is a scam

Man made climate change is a scam.
>>
File: 1404078157597.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1404078157597.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>>2379916
Post art you like. Just curious.
>>
>people running around in a circle with their fingers up each other's butts
where can I find this? for research
>>
File: underwater-gate-guardian-wip.jpg (178 KB, 499x800) Image search: [Google]
underwater-gate-guardian-wip.jpg
178 KB, 499x800
>>2379922
Here's something I did just the other day. Pretty cool, huh?
>>
>>2379916
All of the art I recognised in that video was actually modern. Also good job choosing that singular rebuke of the video in the OP to focus solely on exclusively.
>mental illness
wew lad
keep on tippin'
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.