[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poor People Supplies Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: sketchbook.jpg (77 KB, 1045x765) Image search: [Google]
sketchbook.jpg
77 KB, 1045x765
Anyone have a good source for cheap sketchbooks? I can get 100 page unruled, spiral bound sketchbooks locally for $3.50 USD which is around the same price as the cheapest I could find on eBay (with free shipping.)

Got any cheaper sources? I'm slightly autismo and I'm tempted to buy out the local supply so I'll only ever use the same brand but if I can get a great deal then I'll stock up
>>
>>2368989
I wish I could help, but I like spending a little coin on some nice supplies.... Supplies ain't even that expensive.

Clipboard + stolen printer paper... EZ
>>
>>2368996
I was looking for slightly better than a ream of printer paper but cheaper than a $15 moleskine
>>
>>2369002
check dickblick.com
>>
>>2369002
http://www.dickblick.com/items/13650-1085/
>>
>>2368989
Steal a reem of paper from work/school.

Massdrop will have good deals on paper. I got 16 moleskine blank notebooks for ~7.50 each
>>
>>2368989
poor people cant afford paper, get a fucking cheap tablet and use it for 2 years, thats the true poor peoples choice.
>>
File: Untitled.png (709 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
709 KB, 960x540
fucking hell this video
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqWuV09LpI
>be me
>gotta go git gud
>grab my $150 set of copic markers
>my $30 moleskine sketchbook
>my $2000 worth of gadgets (fitbit, iphone, ipad)
>put everything in my $200 moleskin bag
>get on my $30 bike
>go to nearest coffee shop
>order $8 coffee
>break out sketchbook
>use it as a day planner
>mfw im gonna make it
>mfw we're all gonna make it
>>
>>2369026
Goddamn, that's the most hipster thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>2369026
Why that shit gotta be so complicated?
Is a spiral hardcover book with 100+ pages not enough for people?
>>
>>2369026
all on my student credit ;)
>>
is there a problem with cheap supplies? i get 8.5x11 and 11x17 printer paper and prismacolor markers from amazon.
>>
>>2369092
not at all that's why i'm looking for deals
>>
>>2369120

get a job as an admistrative assistant and take some from the workplace
>>
>>2368989
If you live near an Ocean State Job Lot they sell 100 page blank paper pads for $1

The paper is decent quality to use pen or pencil on, I wouldn't be surprised if other stores have the same sort of thing. I think they're great for sketching or exercises that'll get trashed.
>>
>>2369026
>my $30 moleskine sketchbook
Faggot who worship moleskine sketchbooks like it will magically make them better make me fucking sick.
>>
File: 20160127_010602.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160127_010602.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2369043
>spiral
I wish
>>
>>2369195
do you curl your sketchbooks?
>>
>>2369026
>>2369179
>>2369071

Eh, I like Rhodia more desu. I usually water color over my sketches to practice water coloring. Moleskine really isn't worth the money for sketching imo. If you are buying "expensive" paper you should have a good reason. Otherwise just use printer paper. Or a tablet.
>>
a pencil and a fucking notebook
>>
File: are_you_fucking_kidding_me.jpg (174 KB, 1500x1477) Image search: [Google]
are_you_fucking_kidding_me.jpg
174 KB, 1500x1477
>>2369396
op
>anyone know where you can find cheap notebooks?
this genius
>a pencil and a fucking notebook
>>
>>2368989
You should worry about paper quality and weight, etc. You can't do finished pieces on a shitty sketchbook paper for all your life.

I went to michaels and bought some nice cardstock. 50 sheets. on sale for $2.00. But, I do marker art. It depends on you.
>>
>>2369002
What's wrong with printer paper nigga?
>>
>>2368989
sorry I can't really help (being an aussie)
I tend to buy the similar spiral a4 sketchbooks for $3 during back-to-school sales
back in highschool, I'd steal reams from school (just pretend you're stocking up a printer)
Other than that, check out those small $2 shops (not sure what the us equivalent is - discount store??). Sometimes you'll find sketchbooks for $2. Here, they're mostly run by chinese who import from overseas, so you can get stuff surprisingly cheap. I once got several a4 20 page watercolour sketchbooks for $3 each from one of those stores.
>>
>>2369453
Printer paper is lowest weight, smooth paper. You can still draw on it but better quality paper will feel nicer and be able to do more kinds of work.

Heavier paper also tends to be rougher in texture, which allows the paper to take on more graphite. Ever notice that you can't really get dark tones on printer paper?
>>
>>2369351
Frontpage and whatever sticked the paper together got destroyed so I have to curl it or else it will dismember
>>
>>2369471
>lowest weight
You have clearly not bought a notebook from poundland that shit is bible paper
>>
File: absolutely not.jpg (15 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
absolutely not.jpg
15 KB, 316x202
>mfw these threads are bait to trash moleskin 100% of the time
>>
File: 1451139935441.png (162 KB, 482x600) Image search: [Google]
1451139935441.png
162 KB, 482x600
500 pages of printer paper cost me like 2.5 shekels on a sale. Try to find a place and get it bound with a plastic binder in sets of 100 or 50 per bind or whatever. Cheap and works like a charm for practice drawing. If you want smaller you can always cut it into halves and bind it as A5 or get smaller paper (usually more expensive per kg so it's a choice of your time on cutting vs extra money).

I don't know how much it costs to get it bound and holed, but I found the hole making thing in school and made holes myself, most offices should have it. The plastic binders cost couple cents each. I only added a harder cardboard page on front and bottom, it is a bit sturdier this way so I can draw on my knee. All in all it cost me around 3 shekels to get 5x100 page sketchbooks.
>>
I go into dillons and buy their drawing pad paper. It's better then dollar store pads, but cheaper then strathmores. My dollar store pad isn't even half used and the paper's falling out. Fuck that noise, it's not worth the dollar I spent. I finished out the kroger drawing pad almost a year ago and it's still holding. Was less than $3 after tax. Worth it. Plus, I don't feel like I'm 'wasting' paper, so I draw more. The strathmore sketchbooks are nice, and I have some, but they're pretty expensive, and feel 'too nice' for my current level.

I also predominantly use mechanical pencils I got 5+ years ago, and a pink eraser. Haven't needed anything else. I predominantly draw on the computer, using my sister's old tablet (she got around $80). So I guess that's a bit pricey.

Drawing is a godsend hobby for the poor man. You don't need shit to do it. Worry about supplies once you know how to use them.
>>
my throwaway drawing sketchbook is a cheap binder filled with printing paper. What I love about keeping stuff in a binder is that I can add or remove at my leisure with no anxiety about 'spoiling' a sketchbook.
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-21+at+11.18.05).jpg (39 KB, 349x361) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-21+at+11.18.05).jpg
39 KB, 349x361
>>2369195
Oh my
>>
>>2370355
Also for pencils, erasers and shit like that, I found that koh-i-noor is imho the best price:quality ratio for most stuff. Their lead holders are pretty durable, they also sell a bunch of different thicknesses and lengths which is nice, I found I like the thicker lead better.

Drawing can be cheap as hell. I spent a bunch of extra money anyway on shit like fine liners, a brushpen, gioccondas, and even some watercolor pencils(they have amazing vibrant colors even if you just draw with them, and with a few wet brush strokes they can make some amazing effects) because I had spare cash and love art so I wanted to try different things, but you don't have to spend a lot to git gud.
>>
>>2368989
If you live in an area with a Daiso Japan, you can get a sketchbook with few pages for $1.50. The paper is very thin.
http://www.daisojapan.com/c-187-sketchbooks.aspx
http://www.daisojapan.com/c-210-sketchbooks.aspx
(The online site is bulk pricing and does not always reflect what they have in stock in the stores.)

My choice for super cheap is the unused back of printer paper that I get from offices or computer labs. Most of the times, these are in the recycling or trash bins and so people don't really care if you take it. It's polite to ask though.

If you want more quality and are willing to spend more, you can buy sketchbooks (Art Alternative or Art's Loft is the cheapest brand I believe) from Michaels and waiting until a weekend where they have 40% off 1 item coupon. They happen frequently enough that you can wait it out. The highest I've seen the coupons go is 50%, but that's usually around holidays.
Here's their sketchbook selection:
http://www.michaels.com/sketchbooks-and-paper/sketchbooks/845166084
I never buy from Michaels without a coupon.

While I'm at it, Art Supply Warehouse has a sale on the Art Alternative brand letter sized sketchbook (90 or 110 sheets) for $5:
(book bound) http://www.artsupplywarehouse.com/prodDetail.php?id=16235
(spiral bound) http://www.artsupplywarehouse.com/prodDetail.php?id=16227
It's decent.
>>
ok take some notes faggot cuz I am gonna take you for a ride.

Like some anon suggested, white paper and binding is profesional enough so go that route unless you wanna go the wash sketching route, which I would suggest buying cason/fabriano single sheets.

For pencils go for your everyday yellow number 2 pencils and buy some cheap pencil extensors, this will give you more use of your pencils.

In case you want charcoal go either vine charcoal or peel off charcoal pencils.

Factis erasers are both cheap and really good so I would use those.

for your inks I suggest sharpies to fill big areas and pilot g tec c4 (best ballpoint you can get if you ask me, its quality is so good that it doesn't tend to form bubbles so it can pass as a rapidograph, it is way cheaper than any micron, a lot of pros tend to use them), oh and some corrector pens since white ink tends to be too expensive, you could also go the white acrilic route but you might need some good control of the brush and a good brush for this, which if you do I reccomend winsor and newton 000 (kinda costly but totally worth it, buy a really thin brush in case you can't afford this) and for your ink use Pelikan chinese ink.

final words here is, while I used to go the cheap material route since I always thought "I am just starting, I shouldn't be using expensive materials" it is worth it to give a chance to some more expensive materials (they're expensive for a reason, be it because it's presentation, it's quality or both) Like, nowadays I am struggling because I wanna buy some kooh-i-noor rapidographs
>>
go to staples or something my nigga
>>
>>2370377
yeah most of my drawings disappear over time because the pages rub against each other so much, ruining the values

rip studies

I don't feel bad because I'm sure I can do them again, better, and knowledge has already been earned
>>
Those mixed media notebooks with medium weight paper, sizing is near 8x6in. Shit's heavy enough to hold watercolours, textured enough for pastel, charcoal and oil pastel and pencil looks crispy on it. Hell, I've managed to use it as a support for wheat paste collage (although I did need to stretch it after).

It's like 8$ for a 60 page notebook. Makes you think about your piece a little and if you fuck it up, just use the other side. Copy paper is disgusting.

But if you want to practice large painting cheaply get some staples easel paper (3x4ft), cheap watercolours from walmart and a large (1inch or larger) brush. All day massive watercolours, and then you have wheat paste materials!

Collage is some cheap shit too. Literally grab your nearest trash bin and some razor blades, mix some wheat paste up (it's less then a dollar a litre) and mount it on stretch thick cardboard. Damn near free.
>>
If you just want to sketch for practice, you could just staple a bunch of newsprint together honestly

Otherwise $3.50 is a good price for a basic sketchbook, where I'm from theyre usually $5 at cheapest for 80 pages
>>
>>2369007
teehee

u said dickblick
>>
File: strathmore.jpg (70 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
strathmore.jpg
70 KB, 426x600
>>2368989

>he doesn't own GOAT sketchbook
>>
>>2370650
goat?
>>
>>2370343
Moleskine is actually shit though
>>
>>2370709

a goatskin paper sketchbook

proven to increase dexterity on the paper by 25%
>>
>>2370709
greatest of a l l t i m e
>>
>>2370715
sick stats bro
>>
I want to learn how to bind my own hardbound books but it doesn't seem that cost effective compared to just buying a sketchbook
>>
>>2369002
a 100cc of quality A4 cardstock is about $4
Just get that shit splined and stop being a fag.
>>
>>2369179
I would love to try a moleskine, but the price point scares me away every time. I guess that's fine...
>>
>>2372328
moleskin is pure garbage. the paper is garbage and the books are overpriced for no other reason except that hipster use them.
>>
>>2370711
>>2372388
>>2369179
I use moleskin. This is the same insecure argument over and over.
>>
>>2373045
Is the price fair? In which way they are better than other sketchbooks?
>>
>>2373058
The Moleskine watercolor books are decent but the regular sketchbooks are horrible for the price. You can get a Canson XL or Strathmore pad for half the cost, those will have better paper.
>>
>>2372388
Can confirm. The paper is to thin. They aren't very robust. The only decent thing is they have the pocket and band both are easy to replicate smaller Rowley cheap notebooks are 0.95

and have the same amount of pages.

I quite like buying a pack of printer paper n just use old envelopes, cardboard and ask the postman for an elastic band.
>>
>>2373045
Insecure. No. I had to find a superior sketchbook with superior paper because moleskin is low quality. I am speaking from experience.

I'm picky about my paper.
>>
>>2373045
you are just a hipster reassuring itself
>>
What is this moleskin and why are people hailing it as the holy grail.

I am satisfied with my printing paper.
>>
>>2368989
If you got a Daiso Japan near you, you can check them out for art supplies. It's literally a Japanese 99cents store where 99% of everything is $1.50 and their art supplies are not too bad.
>>
>>2369195
patrician af tbhwyf
>>
>>2372388
The moleskin I got a small pocket sized one is a bit different. The paper isn't thin at all. Instead it feels about as thick as two index cards. Not a huge fan of the lack of texture. Feels slippery compared to what I like.
>>
>>2371075
it may not be cheaper but i bet it's great if you want to use a certain kind of paper. i should look into that
>>
>>2375260
It depends on how much you do
>>
>>2369471
thicker doesnt mean it will be rougher, just that it can be.

and as for getting dark tones on printer paper.... you will get as dark of a tone as your medium will allow, you want dark shades, go fucking charcoal.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.