[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>look up art openings from game studios >majority of them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: zbrush.jpg (87 KB, 925x499) Image search: [Google]
zbrush.jpg
87 KB, 925x499
>look up art openings from game studios
>majority of them are for 3D artist

Well I'll be damned. What do you think? Should a proficient 2D artist go into 3D as well? Is it a worthwhile undertaking?
>>
>>2366045
>being retard
>>
>>2366047

Wonderful reply, thanks for your contribution.
>>
It is really valuable. Why have one skill when you can have two that literally any game company is going to NEED. I actually know a few people who are going back to school to learn the three D's
>>
File: 1446653358928.jpg (33 KB, 395x398) Image search: [Google]
1446653358928.jpg
33 KB, 395x398
>>2366045
Other than being a 3d artists, what other professions does being a 2d artist help in?
>>
>>2366045

No harm in learning a new skill.

There are plenty of artists who start out 3D before breaking any ground as a 2D artist.
>>
Most 3D artists in the sculpting + modelling field are already really proficient in 2D art, much of the knowledge carries over and a 2D sketch almost always comes first before going to 3D. It's worthwhile if you actually want to get into 3D art, but if it's nothing you're really interested in, I guess don't? It looks really good on your portfolio though, but you might end up doing more 3D stuff than 2D, and that might not be appealing depending on what you want to do.
>>
>>2366062
Wait isn't it reversed?
>>
>>2366060

Comics, cartoons, and indie games. Big money is obviously leaning towards 3d though because that's the new hotness.
>>
>>2366045
of course

even /ic/'s sweetheart, sakimichan, is learning 3d
>>
File: fuck.jpg (33 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
33 KB, 456x320
>tfw Canadian
>tfw I will never be in the Gnomon 3-year program
>>
You only need a handful or even just 1 concept artist.
You need a fuckton of modelers, texture makers, and animators, probably upwards of 3 to 8 times as many based on my completely uneducated guessing, going higher the bigger the budget.

Beyond that how many fuckbois grow up wanting to paint vs how many grow up wanting to model other people's paintings.

It's a much much easier part of the game industry to get work in, because demand for asset makers is far higher and the supply, much lower.
>>
>>2366045
3d artist is not going to be what I consider fun. I'm a concept artist and have worked in a few different studios. Most 3d artists are just gears in the machine. They do absolutely no creative work at all and a lot of the time are just creating the most mundane shit imaginable. Like blue jeans. Or a car Or a light post. And that's if you're lucky.

Shit like in your image only goes to the senior character artist's. In a lot of cases the fucking AD will even take the most fun and creative projects for himself cus ADs are fucking cunts.
>>
>>2366144
>1 concept artist.
I would say usuallyyyy it's one concept artist for 6~8 modelers (including character modelers). I think the largest project I worked on had atleast 10 concept artist's PLUS some outsourced guys.
>>
>>2366163
Not all games are tipple aerino familoni.

But the point remains, you need many more people working on assets than you need people working on concept art
>>
>>2366089
eh that kind of modeling is pretty fucking easy. You should be able to do something like that in a week.

gaming assets is a completely different thing. Like, a fucking massive difference. UVs, rigging, low poly, normals, textures, fixed limitations, and a whole lot more shit that is actually pretty difficult to learn.
>>
>>2366069
3D is ugly, save 2D.
>>
>>2366198
>herp I don't know what I'm talking about

don't spout shit because you've been to /3/ once
>>
>>2366289
But what he said is true thou.

Modelling is the fun part of 3d. UV mapping and rigging are the most technical stuff you have to learn.

In games, you have to be wary on how many poly counts you have per asset by practice in order not to take alot of memories to save some for the codes, effects and other assets present on the screen.
>>
File: manticoreprime.jpg (61 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
manticoreprime.jpg
61 KB, 500x341
Is the "look" of a game provided by the concept artist,working in 2d? I tried to apply to a game company many years ago,and for a Trial Assignment,theywanted a ragTag Barbarian fighting a Cyber Manticore in Castle ruins in an overgrown Jungle. I got as far as a manticor and Barbarian before abandoning the project,since some NEET who didn't work stocking shelves overnight in a supermarket like me would have waltzed in with a timely delivery I could not manage. Here is the Manticore at least:I was thinking Low Poly,and simple textures,the tech of gaming then being around Half Life 1 when I attempted this. Now I'm doing a webcomic with enough Stuff for a game or so to be made from its imagery and canon. I still have that job,and it'll take a LOT of cash up front and written contracts promising more to get me to walk from it,but I have hopes...
>>
>>2366363
Depends on what kind of a workflow the studio has I guess, but yes, generally most of the studios have concept artists give the general feel, atmosphere, tone and design to the vidya game in question.
But obviously everyone, especially the modelers give a huge imput into the design method and the final look of the world.
Good example of that is Skyrim, download/find concept art by Adam Adamowicz and compare it to the final product, obviously the direction and the feel of each design was his but modelers are the ones to interpret it and often simplify it so that it's easier to model/lower poly or something.
>>
>>2366045
some studios have as many concept artists than actual character and environmental artsists
the 3d industry is now split into very specific field in aaa gaming, so you will have separate people doing props, others doing charters, other baking and retopo, other rigging, another usually outsourced studio mocap, and with people who just set up materials and shaders, etc
its very rare one person has to cover multiple fields during a production unless you work an a small studio
opposite is true of 2d guys, you are usually expected to do environment design as well as character design, level blockout paint overs and anything in between
almost every game starts with a prototype with placeholders and concept art before it gets anywhere with a publishers

in my opinion its better to have a nice 2d folio only than to water it down with crappy 3d models
its much easier to break into 3d once you have some industry experience and actually know what you want to do, there is a huge difference how you will approach just painting textures over low poly models and baking high poly sculpts for normal maps or even standard polymodeling

unless you know people, only way you will break in is with your folio, and it will take you good 2 years before you will be able to make good 3d character models, and at lest half a year before you get decent at environmental art assuming you work really hard.

i assume you dont even know what exactly in 3d you would want to do
>>2366063
>Most 3D artists in the sculpting + modelling field are already really proficient in 2D art
no they arent, most guys are self thought and start with your standard box modeling and then break into sculpting
guys like graccetti, cedric seaut, hanno hagedorn or many other well known character modelers dont really do much 2d, or at lest they dont post or talk about it
its very easy to break into 3d with no prior knowledge in any other artistic field
>>
>>2366363

this is pasta
>>
File: barbarianprime.jpg (56 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
barbarianprime.jpg
56 KB, 500x431
>>2367643
Yes,I posted it before,for much the same reasons.

Here is the barbarian,with equipment I tried giving personality to.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.