[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to draw animals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 1231234214234.jpg (53 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
1231234214234.jpg
53 KB, 620x388
What are some amazing books out there on how to draw animals? Something like Hampton's "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention", but for animals. I know Vilppu has one, which is great. But any more great sources?
>>
>>2364904
"Go to the fucking zoo" by M.A danon
>>
>>2364915
btfo
>>
>>2364904
Aaron Blaise
Ken Hultgren (the best book)

and of course there's a lot of free stuff if you take the time to actually use google for once

God speed OP
>>
File: 1452399644692.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1452399644692.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>2364904
You'd be better off looking at footage of animals moving in different circumstances so you have a better idea of what it is you're trying to draw instead of a step by step book for kids where you draw a circles while a cartoon pencil character holds your hand.
>>
The art of animal drawing look it up it's extremely useful
>>
File: daschund.png (195 KB, 925x583) Image search: [Google]
daschund.png
195 KB, 925x583
These are the books I own OP and I've pretty much only ever drawn animals.

>Ken Hultgren: The Art Of Animal Drawing
Great book, one of my favourites. Disney animator
>Anatomy Drawing School: Animal
Surprisingly detailed sketches of anatomical parts of the animal. The back has an index featuring origin/insertion and function of every muscle.
>JC Amberlyn: Wildlife Drawing
Similar to the Ken Hultgren one. Very good for understanding the forms and breaking down the body parts into shapes. Lots of species in it
>W. Ellenburger: An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists
I consider this "essential" as it contains a collection of high-quality plates gathered from different works over the years. EXTREMELY detailed drawings even show the fur direction, muscles, bones, veins and features a few species. Use this to fall on if you need to answer some major questions about anatomy.
>>
File: tumblr_nwx3yfOBft1uo4yrqo1_1280.jpg (40 KB, 788x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwx3yfOBft1uo4yrqo1_1280.jpg
40 KB, 788x1000
fucking kangaroos
>>
>>2365074
This. I learned to draw polar bears by pausing David Attenborough frozen planet.
Do really fast sketches of the lines of the animal, it's gestures the shape of its legs
I got better faster doing this sort of thing than any other way
>>
>>2365074

Do not listen to this OP. Please. The best way to learn anatomy/form is a combination of life drawing and construction study, not one or the other.

That is assuming that's what the poster is saying. He could just be talking smack about kid's drawing books, which obviously isn't the kind of book you're looking for anyway.

Look for books focusing in shapes/deconstruction of muscle groups as well as in-depth anatomy books.
>>
>>2365887
Truth
>>
>>2365590
nice dog
>>
Consider human proportions as a starting point, exaggerate accordingly.
>>
>>2365590
>>2365072

OP here, thanks for the info guys.
Yes, I understand drawing from life is important, I know. But doesn't hurt to gather more info on other how artists construct the animal form.
>>
>>2364904
there's no universal book for that.
the reason why Hampton and faggots like him were able to make theirs is because it's the same subject. THE HUMAN.
there's no book on how to draw every animal on the planet.
Just look at photos and find anatomy. you should be able to get a good idea on how the certain animal works
>>
>>2366029
don't listen to this...
>>
Scott Eaton wrote an article for 3D World like 9 years ago about how he approaches animal anatomy and construction. There's a PDF of the article on his site here

http://www.scott-eaton.com/outgoing/3dWorld-Animal-Anatomy-Eaton.pdf

He's got some more articles, tutorials and blog posts on his site if you want to go digging
>>
>>2365887
I was more stating that if he really wants to get a feel for the animal that he should observe the animal. That is lifedrawing with a secondary source, and while construction is very useful, in most books it will give you the steps but will also lead you into a symbol drawing kind of mindset. In summary, if you want to draw something, learn what it is. Then and only then after you understand what it is should you look into other peoples work
>>
Everything has gesture, everything has form. Get to it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.