[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/ I was wonder what is a decent digital art program for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1436882576034.jpg (53 KB, 850x640) Image search: [Google]
1436882576034.jpg
53 KB, 850x640
Hey /ic/ I was wonder what is a decent digital art program for beginners. Is there anything out there that gives me the essentials, but isn't too complicated for me to use? Thanks in advance.
>>
anon the only programs out there that are not complicated are microsoft paint and programs that are stripped of their essentials(for painting anyways).

so start learning which ever from this list
Photoshop**(painting priority)
Sai**(Line,ink shitty for painting)
Manga studio(painting,inking,line but tools are garbage)
TVpaint**(animation,painting,line,ink all sorts of stuff, but if you wana get through this damn thing you need to read the manual)
Gimp**(painting,line,ink its a buggy program however)
Krita**(painting, line, ink,animation its a buggy program)
Jasc Paint**(painting priority it has all the stuff that makes a drawing program)

all of these programs have the same capabilities from the core, but some lack different functions to manually change pressure, tilt and all that jazz from your tablet.
>>
>>2364536
If there were such a thing as a drawing app for beginners, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners. Just go for photoshop and ignore the stuff you don't understand yet, don't pay for it tho.

>>2364550
Worth mentioning the open-source freebies in this list, namely Krita and Gimp. They may have bugs (all programs do) but development is constant and open for observation.
>>
>>2364536
that program is corel painter is intuitive as fuck new version 2015 is even more intuitive
>>
File: 1453567336811.gif (506 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453567336811.gif
506 KB, 500x500
Krita is the bomb if you don't want to pirate photoshop or you're working on Linux. However. windows version is supposed to be a little buggy. I'm rolling on Linux and I have never even seen a bug.
(Latest dev version also adds animation tools which look amazing but I'm waiting for a package so I don't have to compile)

I also use MyPaint from time to time to draw quick sketches. It is much simpler but imho lacks functionality to stand on its own, it's good for quick doodles and sketches tho.
>>
>>2364536
if you're completely new to digital art, EVERY program is going to seem overwhelming so you just have to jump in and try it. you probably aren't going to use more than basic tools anyway, which are easy enough to figure out.

>photoshop
most complicated UI, but mastering photoshop hotkeys is an invaluable skill. requires a moderately powerful computer and you need to torrent+crack it. countless tutorials online for anything you want to accomplish. best for painting, lineart, and photo editing. not as good for sketching compared to other programs.

>sai
easy as shit to use, very light on CPU, no installation required. limited functionality, however. good for lineart and sketching. awful for painting and BIG drawings (limited canvas size)

>manga studio
a better version of sai, really. the UI is dumb as fuck so i remapped all the hotkeys to match PS and now i'm having a great time with it. my favorite program for that pencil-on-paper feel. great for lineart, sketching, and comics. haven't tried painting with MS yet

>>2364560
if you're afraid of pirating and OK with using a less polished program krita/gimp are great too
>>
>>2364550
>Manga studio(painting,inking,line but tools are garbage)
How so? I find the customization ridiculously open and so, ridiculously useful.
>>
>>2364763
>photoshop
>lineart
Photoshop is the worst at lineart, even with lazy nezumi and all that shit. That's why oldfags used Illustrator for lines then exported that shit to PS.
>>
>>2364536
open canvas, the older versions are as simple as it gets
>>
>>2364849
oh oops my mistake. i think i meant to type something about layers. it is pretty late at night over here
>>
File: horse.jpg (50 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
50 KB, 500x366
>>2364849
draw on a bigger canvas and size it down baka senpai
>>
>>2364763
So I should go with Manga studio or Krita?
>>
Which has the best vector tools?
>>
is there something like photoshop that has good painting capabilities but for people who are working on a shite pc?
>>
>>2364854
my nigga, 1.1b was the shit
>>
Sai is very good for lines if you're still having trouble with making clean lines

Otherwise photoshop is just 100% best thing as far as I know
>>
>>2364578
What? I NEVER hear anything good about Corel Painter anymore, I am intrigued anon. What do you like about it?

>>2365912
Maybe I had trouble adjusting from Photoshop but what resolution and canvas size to do you like working at. I tried adapting my normal workflow to Sai and it always bugs out over the image being too big.
>>
>>2365836
Honestly I've seen some phenominal digital paintings done on sai. I don't know what the one anon is on about it sucking for that.
>>
sai and firealpaca are super super simple but have good painting capabilities
>>
Personally I'd say manga studio if you have some money to spare/invest. It's better than sai by a notable, although not a huge, amount.
If you're on a budget or want to test the waters first just stick with sai for a while until you feel like you need more power.
>>
>>2364536
I'm fond of paint.net - its basic at the start, but when you begin downloading free addons (theres a huge database of them) it becomes quite a versatile art tool
>>
>>2367568
Medibang Paint is the 'spiritual successor' to FireAlpaca and in active development. Pretty decent for starting out.
>>
>>2367621
sai isn't free either and when manga studio is on sale for 15 bucks it's even 3 times cheaper than sai.
>>
Why is SAI so bad for painting?

Also, how about sketchbook pro? My computer can't run photoshop so well but It can run SAI, problem is I'd like to learn painting..
>>
File: 1427932386913.jpg (65 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1427932386913.jpg
65 KB, 604x604
>>2371330
Krita and MyPaint are fucking free. Try those first, MyPaint is pretty basic and fast while Krita is a full fledged painting/sketching software.

Check out David Revoy, he's a decent professional artist and works in Krita. He also has a bunch of youtube speedpainting videos and tutorials.
>>
>>2371330
How is SAI not good at painting?
If you say brushes you're a faggot, you can customize that shit a lot and depending on stupid PS stamp and effect brushes is like saying traditional painting isn't fair because you can't ctrl+z
>>
File: 1377839330095.jpg (115 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1377839330095.jpg
115 KB, 435x435
>>2371339
>>2371649

My computer only seems to run SAI and sketchbook pro at full speed. Krita works but it's a bit laggy, and mypaint doesn't work at all.

MFW CS2 is basically unusable
>>
>>2364550
>Sai**(Line

Almost inclined to agree but I found that it was more of a better way to practice using lines than the one to use linework. I find photoshop has everything i need but of course you can get sai for free while not really for photoshop
>>
I'm using krita on windows, and it bugs when i paint, is there a solution ?
>>
>>2372461
there's no solution unless you elaborate. wtf do you mean by "bugs"? No pressure sensitivity? No strokes appearing? Strokes appearing in the wrong places? What?
>>
I absolutely despise photoshop for drawing. Yet I can't seem to put it away.

Is there any way to get "sai" like linework in photoshop?
>>
>>2373159
No, phtoshop is not meant to draw.
PS brushes work the way they work because the interface is meant for photo editing, it's also why you have to blend manually, why stuff gets desaturated the more you work on it and why artifacts happen so often.

PS is not for art. It can do art, but it's not developed with art in mind.
>>
>>2373744
aw ok well that's a good explanation thanks man

all these years i wasted using it, thinking i could make some decent raw lineart without sketchiness that can match what i can do on oekaki or sai

uhg what a nightmare
>>
>>2373754

but you can, don't listen to that guy. line quality is all about how confident you yourself are when mark making. just put opacity and brush size to pen pressure and practice
>>
>>2373759
suppose you have a point, i'll keep pushing through

im not giving up on PS but it is quite a challenge.
>>
Ok guys, it will be long time since I'll go into rendering my drawings, but I wonder how you do it. Is it sensible to do inking traditionally and then scan and render it digitally? And if so, in what program if you say that Photoshop isn't good for it?

Also following question to guys who render traditionally - do you scan linework and print it before painting on it? I would be very, very scared of fucking up, especially after I worked on my lines for X time and being inexperienced with gouche/paint/markers.
>>
File: heh.jpg (14 KB, 164x229) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
14 KB, 164x229
Adobe CS2 is very good and its free.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html#
>>
>>2372134
In that case, try Clip Studio/Manga Studio (same stuff, localized names): it's like SAI but quite a bit more advanced. Still relatively lightweight compared to PS though.
>>
>>2373159
Some people like to use Lazy Nezumi. There's an older freeware version of it floating around that does the job.

inbe4 stream of shitting on stabilisator tools
>>
>>2373786
Hardly. It's always said that these downloads are specifically for people who own versions older than CS2, due to support ending. So it's still piracy, and why would you pirate a 11 year old version over a recent one?
>>
>>2366214
>I am intrigued anon. What do you like about it?
digital watercolors
so good paint tool sai copy it in their engine and made them even more softer

you can dry them to paint over and create a glaze effect
corel painter is industry standard with japanese mangakas
yukito kishiro, Yoshinari bros, tony taka nagi from ar tonelico fame cant be wrong
>>
>>2364763
>most complicated UI
>photoshop

eh, I'd say Painter has a more complicated UI.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.