[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. So I do a small podcast show with a couple of guys.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1447721919709.jpg (705 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447721919709.jpg
705 KB, 1080x1080
Hey guys. So I do a small podcast show with a couple of guys. One guy who sometimes joins us, asked me if I can draw a logo for a fighting game tournament he hosts every year.

Should I charge him for doing this logo or just do it as a favor since we're both hosts for this podcast? I work a full-time job as my main source of income so I'm not too worried about the money, but I also don't like doing artwork for someone else for free unless it's a close friend or family member that I want to do art for.

What would you do? Again its just for a tournament he's hosting and not for any company so I don't think I would ask too much for it. Just I record the podcast with these guys once a week so I feel awkward asking the guy to pay for it.
>>
>>2364357

>feel awkward asking the guy to pay for it
>friends with the guy
>art not main source of income

Kind of answered your own question here. This is clearly something you enjoy as well and doing this will benefit yourself as well as your friends + it won't even take that long compared to a fully rendered environment with character concept etc. Just do it, maybe he'll understand you invested your free time into it and buy you some beers
>>
If the logo is going to take any considerable amount of time just tell him you'd rather be compensated for your time, if you want to be nice about it just give him a reasonably cheap rate.

Nobody should just expect someone to devote hours of their time to doing something for free just because they asked, friend or not. If you were an accountant and your friend asked you to do his taxes you'd probably tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>2364377
> buy you some beers

To be fair I never met the guy in person. We just kinda do our show over Skype. He's like a friend of the main host/creator of the show who I've met in person.
>>
>>2364393

I was assuming you all meet in a studio in person to do the podcast and you'd known these people for awhile. IMO I think it depends on if you are actually doing other art for payment. If this is the first time someones asked you then do it for free, but if you have a blog with price sheets and its a regular thing for you, try and let him know thats not what artists do, but give some reduced rates. The fact you have a non-art full time job means you should probably just do it for free, thats just what I'd do though
>>
File: flow-chart.jpg (51 KB, 614x900) Image search: [Google]
flow-chart.jpg
51 KB, 614x900
>>2364357
Don't do art for free unless it's your mum. People doing art for free is the whole reason why you see craigslist ads asking for free work and shit like the for exposure twitter.
>>
>>2364404
>>2364450
I'm getting conflicted advice here guys.

Although drawing is not my main source of income it's something I'd like to at one point. Right now I work fulltime at a game company as a technical artist. While I enjoy my job, there's not much drawing involved, but I try to do artwork on the side, whether it's personal projects or commissions for others. I'd like to get my art and name out there.

So I don't know if in a current situation like this I just do a quick thing as a free favor or charge the guy for it, but I have done artwork for our podcast in the past, like the main logo, so I'm worried this guy will wonder why I would charge him when I've don't art for the podcast for free. The difference is I'm involved in the podcast, so doing a quick logo was no problem. This, however is for a tournament he's hosting that's unrelated to the podcast, so I don't know if I should charge or not.
>>
>>2364450

>cant use your skills to do favours for people

It's like the doctor who won't take a look at some mark on your leg because it's outside his office hours. Stop taking yourself so seriously. I understand your point and some artist do severely undercharge, but the fact this guy has a fulltime job means it's a bit redundant
>>
>>2364468

It's more like a doctor not running a bunch of tests and shit. If the guy was like "can you do me a 5 minute sketch?" and you were like "what're you paying?" you might have a point, but if the guy wants anything actually good that takes actual time, it's kind of shitty to ask them to do it as a favor. If it's a gift that's one thing, but really.
>>
>>2364464
Don't charge him, use it as an investment for future endeavors.

When you're in the position were you want something he can provide, remind him of your past favors. If he isn't a total asshole, that'll help.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.