[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it possible to git gud naturally without following any particular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_neqbpocOJu1s9azaco1_1280.jpg (526 KB, 1267x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_neqbpocOJu1s9azaco1_1280.jpg
526 KB, 1267x1920
is it possible to git gud naturally without following any particular guidelines from a book or study? just by drawing in high frequency do you naturally show better skill, or did you stop and realize you were making the same mistakes over and over, and decided to follow some steps from vilppu/loomis/bridgman/whatever?
>>
>>2362267
100% yes.
>>
>>2362267
yes. You just need to look a lot at life.
>>
>>2362267
>is it possible to git gud naturally without following any particular guidelines from a book or study?
Define "study." Because if you're paying attention to the forms and shapes of people while drawing them - that's studying. Just paying attention to how everything works and comes together is study.

If you mean "without drawing real people or real life" then yes, but it's unlikely, and way harder.
> just by drawing in high frequency do you naturally show better skill, or did you stop and realize you were making the same mistakes over and over, and decided to follow some steps from vilppu/loomis/bridgman/whatever?
How are you going to correct a mistake if you don't recognize it's there? How you correct it isn't so much a problem, because the results are what matters, but without stopping to look back at your work and see where you fucked up you'll just keep making the same mistakes over and over.
>>
>>2362267

Why try to reinvent the wheel? Human progress relies on learning from the experience of past generations. Realist art requires a very wide range of fields to study, you are going to need all the help you can get. Or are you planning to re-invent perspective and conduct your own dissections to understand anatomy?
>>
>>2362267
Having a solid foundation helps. Have you ever heard of MindCandyMan from conceptart? He started out as a rookie who drew shaded cylinders like a third grader so he signed up for art classes and within a few years later, his art improved immensely you wouldn't believe he was the same guy.
>>
File: 1443305214840.jpg (649 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
1443305214840.jpg
649 KB, 1333x2000
that guys drawings are immensely better than his paintings.Makes me want to go back to tradish.
>>
>>2362931
RACHEL! i raised you better than that.
>>
>>2362267
>book
Probably yes

>Study
Lol anon, you can't draw what you don't know.
>>
>>2362931

You can draw that with digital.
>>
>>2362519
This. Why grind 1000's of pictures when you can follow books and focus on the fundamentals directly.
>>
>>2363276
you dont get it.
>>
>>2362267
>Do I learn by copying others, or do I make my own way?

If you have to ask OP, then the answer is obviously that you're not ready to make your own way. Stick to copying others for now.
>>
>>2362267
>is it possible to git gud naturally without following any particular guidelines from a book or study?
yes this guy guide is spot on in this autodidact style of learning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs
>>
yes, but you'll be working much harder than you have to in order achieve the same ends.
>>
Drawing very large volume will make you git gut, but you also have to be critical of your work and improve it, always experiment.

If you draw the same thing over and over again, you won't improve as can be seen in cringe thread where people seem to draw for 10 years and are equally bad.

You need to be critical of your work and always experiment. If other people can comment your work and you can accept critique, it's better for you.

Guidelines and study books are another material from which you steal as you should be stealing constantly from life, other artists, creators etc.

Plus of guidelines and books is that it gives you some direction and with fundamentals you'll probably improve much, much faster.

...and some things you might never even think that you are doing wrong. It might become your style, but if you chicken scratch and could improve line consistency with just simple guidance and exercises...
>>
File: 1453399345476.jpg (47 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
1453399345476.jpg
47 KB, 800x670
>>2364127
>Sycra's popularity

I'm going to have to blame New Age psychology for this. People would rather risk liking something mediocre than being seen as rude for pointing it out.
>>
>>2362267
100% no. Just look at art from times before people figured out the foundamentals that we take for granted today. If you think you can figure out by yourself the accumulated knowledge of centuries of artistic discipline then be my fucking guest. Or you could just not be stupid and realize we're standing in the shoulders of giants.
>>
>>2362267
It's foolish to not use the learning tools so easily given to you today; no need to re-invent the wheel just to be par.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.