[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to start painting, while I like the effects of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1451112933048.jpg (151 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1451112933048.jpg
151 KB, 720x960
I'd like to start painting, while I like the effects of watercolor the best they seem like a hard and expensive medium to waste supplies on.

Would It be a better Idea to learn to paint digitally (I have a, note 2, and an intuos 3, and I might buy a note 10.1). Then learn acrylics and watercolor?

On that Note, has anyone painted on a Galaxy note 10.1? How is it?
>>
>>2359287
>Expensive
Do you mean cheap? Because a single tube of watercolor goes a long way. It`s easily the cheapest tradition painting medium.
>>
>>2359297

Compared to acrylics?

What I meant by that was that I'm wasting money on paper, brushes, and paint compared to using a tablet I could resell.
>>
Can you draw on paper or not?
Dosn't matter if you want to paint digitally or analogically you need to know how to draw.
Watercolor maybe cheap but is also one of the hardest mediums to master.

>>2359310
No matter what medium you try you will still have to buy supplies.
>>
>>2359336

I want to learn to paint, and to apply color theory. I know how to draw already.

Assuming I don't know how to paint would it be more efficient to learn acrylics or watercolor?
>>
>>2359340
> efficient
> painting

Kek.

You're gonna find that every painting medium has its quirks and learning curves. I learned acrylics first, then oils and watercolor concurrently. If you're impatient and want the ability to get rid of mistakes fairly easily, acrylic is your game, but it's more difficult to blend colors when they dry so quickly. Plus acrylic is shiny, usually, so if you're going for a matte look it's not for you. And if you're making a lot of mistakes your paint is gonna end up thick.

If you're a planner and you have a fairly steady grounding in color theory, and you have a steady hand, watercolor could be for you.
>>
>>2359359

I'm a bit confused, is watercolor a umbrella term including both goauche and aquarelle or is it just another name for aquarelle? English is not my first language.
>>
>>2359363
Watercolor generally refers to aquarelle, and gouache is gouache.
>>
The computer is nice. But the computer won't teach you color theory. The computer doesn't teach you how to paint either. What teaches you is physically seeing your progress, and being able to go back to it and grow upon it. From making your own color wheel, to grids seeing color overlay, washing and mixing colors, etc.
>>
if you're good at composition, color theory and construction in one medium that will translate. it's a matter of getting used to the tools.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.