[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically. How long will it take to get really good at drawing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 234423423423234.jpg (393 KB, 1440x799) Image search: [Google]
234423423423234.jpg
393 KB, 1440x799
Realistically. How long will it take to get really good at drawing. I mean those highly detailed drawings I see her.

I have no experience with drawing and I have bad handwriting and have trouble even drawing circles and can only draw stick figures. Will I ever have a chance to even draw something simple?
>>
>>2355104
fuck off
stop making these thread
and get to work

want to know how long it takes? a little longer every time you procrastinate instead of making art.
>>
No idea what in particular you mean by "highly detailed drawings" but it will take several years even if you go really hard on it (which normally just makes people quit because they get discouraged and burn out). That said, you can probably do some good detailed studies within a year or so from reference, it'll take longer to do stuff that's completely your own.

My handwriting is shit too, luckily you can draw even with garbage handwriting. Generally you'll be wanting to use your elbow and arm more than fingers and it's really a pretty different thing to writing, though there's an art to good calligraphy too.

I think it's better for your sanity to draw and practice to get better rather than drawing and practicing to "make it." Keep people you admire and places you want to be in mind, but don't sweat your long term goals on a daily basis or you'll probably just feel like shit that you're not at the level of mastery you want to be fast enough. Better to regularly revise short-term goals to focus on that lead you in the right direction, fulfilling many short term goals is a lot more satisfying than having one long-term one a few years off that you obsess over, in my experience.
>>
>>2355104
depends on how smart, disciplined and passionate you are.

drawing is alot like learning a language - similar learning curve.
>>
>>2355104
Depends on your dedication, how well you're willing to learn, and most importantly how much you practice, and whether or not you're practicing right.

There are people who've been drawing the exact same garbage for 10 years without a lick of improvement.

There are people who have "clicked" and nearly mastered painting in a year.

Go to the beginner thread, read the sticky, and get to work. It'll happen at its own pace, or it'll just stop happening if art isn't really for you/ you don't want to put in the work to git gud at art.
>>
>>2355104
3 years, or 10 if you come back to 4chan
>>
>>2355104
4000 hours of practicing, now get to work peon!
>>
10000 hours is a meme.
You need 40000
>>
>>2355228
about this much, provided you're not retarded
>>
>>2355104
I would reccomend reading "The 4 hour Chef". The first section gives some suggestions about learning any skill that I found helpful.
>>
>>2355998

This is the truth. 10,000 hours is bare minimum to start to not suck. Real mastery takes a LOT longer than that.
>>
>>2356054
Yup. Maybe around 100000 hours is where you should be going for to become a master.
>>
>>2356190
100 000 is sub master, true sensei have put in >250 000 hours of training
>>
>>2356190
If it takes you 34 years of working 8 hours every single day to reach mastery you're doing something seriously wrong.
>>
File: 2 years apart.png (215 KB, 500x474) Image search: [Google]
2 years apart.png
215 KB, 500x474
How do I keep from becoming this? I really don't want to become 1 of those people who make no improvement. My main long term goal is to be able to draw from my imagination
>>
>>2356228
Don't go on Tumblr.
>>
The fact that you didn't immediately go to the sticky doesn't give me much faith in you
If I go to a new board I immediately look to a sticky for information before mindlessly diving into making a thread.

You give off the impression that you want someone to tell you a step by step guide that any idiot can follow.
But it's not that simple. The actual process of gitting gud is stupidly simple but to actually be able to do it requires so much more.
You need to be serious in yourself about learning. There's no room for playing the victim, thinking about giving up, whining, etc. You have to start thinking like a winner.

>TL;DR
Yes you can git gud but you need to improve the way you go about it. Asking to spoonfed a step by step guide is not the way, you must lay your own path and rule it
>>
>>2356231
I don't so I'm off to a good start
>>
>>2356234
Could've sworn I wrote more than that

I'm having difficulty getting my point across but what I'm trying to say is that you need to look at what is required to git gud (learning the fundamentals, reading the books, acquiring creativity) and then actually going and doing it as if it were your job. Take it seriously, study effectively with the purpose of gitting gud

The sticky lays it bare to you what you need to know (or atleast I hope it does I haven't been to it in years)
stop worrying about whether you're going to make it or not or whether you're too old or some ethical issue it troubling you. That's all meaningless bullshit you tell yourself so that you don't study

Think of it like trying to get good at a competitive game. you don't bother yourself with crap like the storyline or the characters appearances, you find out what's the best strategy, you grind the fundamentals of the game and you focus on being the best you can. You need to look at art in the same way if you want to make the best progress you can.
>>
>>2356228
start studying "foundation" and "fundamentals". Understand the interactions of line, shape, perspective, value, form, light+shadow. Focus on accurate representational drawing. Start by studying bargue plates in a sight-size fashion, then study hampton and bridgman to understand construction.

Lots of people rip on sight-size, and for good reason. However, if you're at a low level it will teach you to draw what you see and measure accurately, which is a prerequisite for quickly and precisely doing bridgman/hampton studies. If you're truly at the bottom, study some loomis.

Also, do a 1-10 value scale every day. You'll think it's bullshit, but it's like doing scales in music.

draw from life 30 min a day, every day.

Don't go on tumblr. Tumblr is a hugbox of death. Hang out in the critique threads here, pay attention to what the people who are the best say. If they critique someone else's work, pay attention.

I did half of this, with shitty discipline, and I went from drawing stuff like you posted to stuff like
>>2355682
in about two years. I'm still shitty, but I definitely feel like I've improved a lot, and I don't feel like I'm stagnating.
>>
>>2356254
now that I think about it, more like 4 years, but it could have been 2 if I didn't stop drawing for 6+ months at a time to fuck with drugs.
>>
>>2356254
>>2356261
thanks for the advice anon! I'll get started with those bargue plates when I start drawing in the evening
>>
File: 1400147433827.png (33 KB, 170x273) Image search: [Google]
1400147433827.png
33 KB, 170x273
>>2355128
This is a good post.
>>
>>2356228
Don't even worry about it. Literally just put in the minimum amount of effort towards improving. I am by no means "talented" and was better than what you posted after a week or two of Loomis and copying photos.

The great thing about being a beginner is that your gains are substantial and studying pretty much anything will offer great improvement. When you start to plateau after a while or get too caught up in your comfort zone, that's when you should be worried about not improving.
>>
File: Autumn_WoodsColoredFinished.jpg (946 KB, 1632x1682) Image search: [Google]
Autumn_WoodsColoredFinished.jpg
946 KB, 1632x1682
>>2355128
/thread
>>
OP I'm sorry yoi have to read all the shit and "fuck off" here.

I get to the point.
7 years.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.