[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just woke up; going to have some fun today. Whether I learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 20
File: the Italian Stallion.jpg (229 KB, 865x1560) Image search: [Google]
the Italian Stallion.jpg
229 KB, 865x1560
Just woke up; going to have some fun today. Whether I learn anything or not, at least I'll have drawn a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWB8P4jbsAA
>>
File: ca1.jpg (48 KB, 960x270) Image search: [Google]
ca1.jpg
48 KB, 960x270
>>
File: ca2.jpg (89 KB, 1344x378) Image search: [Google]
ca2.jpg
89 KB, 1344x378
Still a long way to go, probably not going to make it; I suck and I have a cold-but let's keep going. These ambiguous scribbles won't draw themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnA0QYEpr0
>>
>>2354814
You are supposed to study by yourself nobody needs to know what you're studying we're not your instructor.
>>
File: ca3.jpg (108 KB, 1344x378) Image search: [Google]
ca3.jpg
108 KB, 1344x378
>>2354922
>You are supposed to study by yourself

I wasn't supposed to be doing this alone. Come on bud, don't leave me hangin' over here. Just because everyone from the last thread had the good sense to abandon this goofy stunt doesn't mean we have to. It's just you and me now bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M001Babz0o
>>
>>2355042
i'm on page 3
>>
I'm on page 16 but I've been doing 3 pages a day and taking my time.
>>
File: ca4.jpg (100 KB, 1344x378) Image search: [Google]
ca4.jpg
100 KB, 1344x378
>>2355096
Keep it up

>>2355113
I meant to slow-roll it throughout the week leading up to this so I could get more out of the book itself but I got sick as balls so I wasn't able to; guess I'll just have to do that afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaUYcwEpSw
>>
stop shilling this nofap-/ic/ version, you already had your thread
>>
File: ca5.jpg (274 KB, 1488x882) Image search: [Google]
ca5.jpg
274 KB, 1488x882
>>2355249
wew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk
>>
>>2354814
have fun anon i was gonna do it today as well but i got backed up on commissions earlier in the week so i have to take care of that today instead

ill be doin this later in the week though!
>>
File: Bridgman marathon.jpg (89 KB, 485x309) Image search: [Google]
Bridgman marathon.jpg
89 KB, 485x309
Wow, just finished this (posting from GMT) and it was a great experience.

Obviously information retention is pretty low; mostly just reinforcing what you already know, but that was never really the goal. Some general observations:
A) Forces whole arm movement because using your wrist so relentlessly just won't work
B) Forces good posture for the same reason
C) Good for mental stamina -- suddenly that 5 hour daily minimum feels like a breeze. Probably a useful exercise for people with motivation problems.
>>
Funny, I started doing this a couple days ago with constructive anatomy. It's good shit. Tried to do it 8 months ago but I wasn't good enough to copy the drawings accurately back then. It's going really well this time, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Once I've gone through his books a couple times I think I'm going to try out the Bargue stuff. I think that'll be the next big hump as far as improving my accuracy and value modeling goes. I'm really shit with getting clean looking values.
>>
>>2355470
bargue is more for academic drawing, i'd suggest just practicing normally and doing more imaginative things if that's what you want to do. if you want to do academic realism then that's up to you
>>
File: ca6.jpg (229 KB, 1158x854) Image search: [Google]
ca6.jpg
229 KB, 1158x854
>>2355455
Congratulations on getting through it, I'm only a little over halfway there now. (pg 124). I...I think I'm gonna make it-I might have to try and pull an all-nighter though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VXzhZwfCZs
>>
>>2355042

>lufia II

My nigga
>>
>>2354814
>>2355455

Thanks for posting this (tinyurl link in OP), it seems like what I should do. Will I still benefit if I don't have a lot of anatomy practice, or should I study Vilppu or Hampton first? Or does it really matter? It seems the important thing is just to get repetition.

I'm not crazy enough to marathon it but I'll definitely do this along with homework today / tomorrow since I have nothing better to do.
>>
File: CN-1-rev.jpg (106 KB, 600x386) Image search: [Google]
CN-1-rev.jpg
106 KB, 600x386
>>2354814
So like... What is this?
>Attempt to duplicate the feat of famed painter Frank Frazetta
What did he do?
>Procure a copy of George Bridgman
Does it have to be Goergy's book? I'm more of a Michael Hampton guy
>Copy each and every drawing in the book as best as you can until the 24 hour time limit
What happens if you don't finish the book in 24 hours? What does this challenge accomplish? What are the results you are trying to achieve with this?
>>
>>2355480

That's the entire book?
>>
>>2355608
About half.
>>
File: ca7.jpg (178 KB, 877x873) Image search: [Google]
ca7.jpg
178 KB, 877x873
>>2355608
Nope; I'm on page 154 right now.
>>
>>2355527
Thanks for the answer cunts
sage
>>
File: 1351825023905.gif (12 KB, 158x156) Image search: [Google]
1351825023905.gif
12 KB, 158x156
>>2355626

Ok.

Just wondering. I posted earlier that I finished going through Bridgman's Drawing From Life and copying all the drawings from that. Took me a hell of a lot longer than a day though.

But keep it up man, its some cool shit.
>>
>>2355637
I'll get back to you; just give me a couple hours bud
>>
>>2355527
>>2355637

It's silly to get angry that no one replies to you promptly or at all on a board this dead dude.

For the record I'm this guy >>2355638, and I actually have gone through Hampton's book too. Personally I see Hampton as an intermediate between Loomis and Bridgeman; Bridgeman goes into much greater depth when it comes to how and where muscles insert and attach into bones, proportional systems, or ranges of motion. Personally I think Bridgeman's "style" is sexier than Hampton, but regardless his books are without a doubt more in depth.

The point of copying the drawings is to learn something, the within 24 hours part is to give yourself a challenge.

>>2355470

Bargue plates aren't necessarily inline with construction, if anything that method is at the complete opposite side of drawing. Nothing's stopping you from starting now, and actually that methods is what comes naturally to most people are where many begin with drawing.
>>
File: 234d4cf4rt56t.jpg (16 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
234d4cf4rt56t.jpg
16 KB, 259x195
>>2355644
>>2355649
Pic related,
Sorry I lashed out and I know it's a slow board but c'mon. When the op answers other questions It seemed like I was just being ignored.
It is an interesting idea though
>>
File: ca8.jpg (162 KB, 877x873) Image search: [Google]
ca8.jpg
162 KB, 877x873
>>2355661
Yeah sorry man, I'm just trying to keep banter to a minimum, I'll try and get back to you about why I did this when I'm done here if I don't pass out. I'm running way behind schedule because I'm sick; I would have sat it out but there's no way I could abandon it and let some other anon(s) participate alone (even if it just turned out to be one in the end)

Page 182 now
>>
>>2355661
So what if you were? Get over yourself, what the fuck.
>>
>he drew for 14 hours

Christ anon I could use a bit of that fucking motivation man

I think I just need to wean myself off of retarded entertainment like vidya and shitposting and wean myself onto drawing as my leisure, rather than a task I want to complete
>>
>>2355720
I probably paint that much as well. I have absolutely no motivation at all. I don't even want to fucking live life. I do it to past time so I can go back to sleep.
>>
>>2355728
Anon, you have no self worth, so you don't lose any drive when you draw something that you don't like.

It's a good thing for that.
>>
Holy fuck, of all videos you HAD to pick my weakness. SotC soundtrack. Dammit son... I don't have enough time anyways, I will draw for a while though. Will you keep posting these threads for a while? can you do that? because I really want to try doing this when I do have the time, I just don't know if that's tomorrow, the next week, the next month... if you keep posting the thread I'll eventually do it. Hopefully someone else is up the challenge.
>>
>>2355505
Not sure how much you'll get out of Bridgman without some supplemental knowledge; I Started with Hampton.

>>2355720
Try it -- I think you'd be surprised. Before now the most I'd drawn was 7-8 hours. When there's too much time in the day I find you waste it a lot more. When you've got a very clear goal and 10-12 minutes per page you just have to keep drawing or you'll fall behind.

>>2355728
You've painted for that long... but have you drawn for that long? I can paint/render one piece for a long time quite leisurely, but drawing page after page is entirely different.
>>
File: ca-final.jpg (148 KB, 1400x2000) Image search: [Google]
ca-final.jpg
148 KB, 1400x2000
Alright, 16 hours in and done; I can finally relax for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-HaHvqFX4

>>2355527
>What did he do?
Supposedly he drew the entirety of "Constructive Anatomy" by Bridgman in one day when he was 15-16, a book that was lent to him by his teacher at the time. Because of the controversial nature of the claim a lot of people remain skeptical it was even possible. Like all rumors if you look it up online there's a ton of different stories regarding this incident, sometimes the number of days changes, sometimes the book or number of books change. The only article I found quoting Frazetta himself states one book in one day so that's what I went with for this challenge.

>I'm more of a Michael Hampton guy

Having now completed Bridgman's nearly 100 year old book, albeit in a very straight forward, and non-analytical way, I certainly appreciate more modern material. Hampton's book, though I haven't worked through it all the way myself yet, is definitely well put together. With that said, I don't think it would be possible to finish that book in the same manner and timeframe though, there's simply too many images on each page. Mercifully, in Constructive Anatomy there is usually at least one page of text accompanying the images. This is not the case in Hampton's book, which is slathered with imagery on pretty much every one of its over 200 pages.

>if you don't finish the book in 24 hours?

Nothing, really.

>What does this challenge accomplish?

Because the otherwise very-important text of the book must be ignored most of what limited learning you do with regards to anatomy will be at the subconscious level, you won't learn muscle origin or insertion points this way. Your manual dexterity and observational drawing skills will be tested to their limit and may improve somewhat. Really what it's about is psychology. It's willpower, perseverance, setting aside distractions, and drawing a lot. Basically what this guy said >>2355455
>>
>>2355822

You should go back and re draw the information on muscle insertions, the ones where there would be the view of the arm or leg, and next to it would be the bone structure with a bunch of lines and numbers
>>
Im pretty shit but i did a line of adderall a couple hourse ago, I guess ill give this a go.
>>
>>2355822
Good on you pham. Best of luck
>>
File: Bolt Man.jpg (19 KB, 202x212) Image search: [Google]
Bolt Man.jpg
19 KB, 202x212
>>2355776
I don't see this thread having much longevity unfortunately; it's just too much work to expect most random people to engage in without any immediate, tangible reward. if you are interested in doing this consider saving the image in the op for when you do as a reminder, recreate the thread if you'd like and maybe a person or two will participate. I'm honored even one did in this particular instance.
>>
>>2356322
Copying the whole book in one day is definitely not something that will ever catch on. But I'd really like to see a regular Bridgman study thread where people do it at their own pace.
>>
>>2355822
this is great and im going to try this for better perseverance so thank you for the goal, but im gonna do something like x500 figures or something
>>
Damn, this sounds good but I'm not sure when I'll even have 24 free hours. Perhaps I'll try for over the weekend.
>>
File: 7p.jpg (401 KB, 1541x930) Image search: [Google]
7p.jpg
401 KB, 1541x930
this tests your stamina. thought I could complete in 14 hours then halfway through second page I was behind pace.
>>
>>2357187

Very nice linework. Clean and attractive, makes me want to do studies
>>
File: 8.jpg (312 KB, 1152x1436) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
312 KB, 1152x1436
>>2357199

thanks hombre. do them. Do them
>>
File: giphy.gif (715 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
715 KB, 400x300
>>2355455
>mfw this is basically /ic/'s version of 20 rep squats
>>
File: Huxley.jpg (60 KB, 248x571) Image search: [Google]
Huxley.jpg
60 KB, 248x571
>>2355720
>I think I just need to wean myself off of retarded entertainment like vidya and shitposting and wean myself onto drawing as my leisure, rather than a task I want to complete

I think a lot of people born within the last couple decades have that problem.

In some ways our recent predecessors were lucky to only have really low resolution tv, books, work and a social life to contend with their attention towards their hobbies and passions Though we have many obvious advantages living in "the future" provides, among the most difficult tasks facing many of today's young artists, rather all young people, is making a conscious effort to unbuckle ourselves from the dopamine roller-coaster that's been built up around us long enough to find what we want out of our own lives and work towards those ends.

https://youtu.be/gT2JmF1AWgs

>>2355948
Definitely something to think about. As I said earlier in the thread I intended to go through the book in a more deliberate manner throughout the week leading up to the challenge - until I got sick as balls. Maybe going through the book again over the course of three or four days and actually reading the damn thing couldn't hurt. I wish I could render some of this stuff out in the "tonal representation" that Erik Gist suggests in his Bridgman article, but I've too little experience in that regard, particularly given some of Bridgman's more "esoteric" drawings.

>>2357187
>>2357333
Are you still at it? The early emphasis on hands really had me hung up (I'm still terrified of drawing them as stupid as that is), and each time I thought there was going to be something "easy" to draw Bridgman made sure to make every drawing as ostentatious as possible.
>>
>>2358308
>are you still at it

yeah i'm going to try to do another 8 pages tonight. on a reverse sleep schedule.

>early emphasis on hands really had me hung up

yeah me too. the amount of pages yet to complete is weighing on me. it's amazing that you finished in 16 hours.
>>
>>2358415
>yeah i'm going to try to do another 8 pages tonight. on a reverse sleep schedule.

Good to hear

>it's amazing that you finished in 16 hours.

I knew if I could do it just about anyone could, and I was pretty determined to get it done in that regard. I've never "finished" an art book before or even come remotely close-In a way committing myself to doing this was easier than trying to follow a book off and on because as I'd found, typically the moment I'm not 100% enthralled with one book I'd begin flipping through the next. Giving myself a definitive time limit and a purpose prevented me from idling too long and second guessing myself or the book.

All in all I'd say it was a very positive experience and I intend to do it again very soon, though I may work through my copy of "Bridgman's Life Drawing" instead.
>>
Bridgman sucks tbpqh; you should have just drawn from hi res photos that whole time instead op
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.