[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've began to write a short story and i would love feedback
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: insignificance-of-man-21587160.jpg (13 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
insignificance-of-man-21587160.jpg
13 KB, 400x300
I've began to write a short story and i would love feedback on it, thanks

Sun’s rays penetrated the torn flag that laid peacefully over a stained window, the rays gave off a melancholic shade of blue that represented the Union Jack that once was. The room was something of a depressing nature, all personality that belonged to the room was now gone, the painted white walls, chipped away to reveal a disgusting underlay, the wooden flooring, rotted away, the door barely hanging on to the one rusted hinge, the remaining letters on the center of the door that once spelt a name that is no more; A E X D R.

The room was stripped of all it’s basic furniture, all that was left was an oak coffee table with three legs and a cinderblock to support the weight of the items it held, these items included; 1 Fairbairn-Sykes knife, 1 General Service Respirator, 11 110 ml cans of red spray paint, 1 SIG-Sauer P226, 6 handgun magazines each full with 15 9x19mm bullets and 1 suppressor made to fit a handgun, a mirror standing upright against the table had a polaroid picture tucked into the top left of the frame concealing half of the photo. Below the photo showed a reflection of a grimy sleeping bag, it contained a figure.
>>
I'd say that you shouldn't tell us what you want us to feel ( melancholy, the depressing nature of the room, disgust). don't spell it out. when a character is feeling depressed i guess you can say it, but when your trying to set the atmosphere, i think it would be more efficient not to spell it out.
I guess your writing calls for an objective narrator, just distributing facts about the room, letting us decide if it's disgusting or not. At least that's my opinion.
show don't tell.
Also I think the fact that the room no longer has furniture or personality can be put in the same sentence.
>>
>>2354843
Thanks, I'll take it on board
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.