[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horrible crippling insecurities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1375117195742.gif (3 MB, 167x190) Image search: [Google]
1375117195742.gif
3 MB, 167x190
Usually I do fine, I make some art, I never ever like what I make, but I see its better than last time, I see what I need to work on and try to do better next time.

But every once in awhile I just totally crash and burn, and think Ill never be good enough, that I wont ever be successful because I didnt go to Scad or Calarts or because I dont have 50000 followers on tumblr. I always compare myself to other artists and hate myself for not being as good as them. I practice as much as I can in my free time, but if I ever do something else, like go out or play vidya I feel guilty for not practicing 24/7. I hate myself for not being successful.

Im not trying to blogpost , I just want to know if anyone else does this shit to themselves, and what the best way to deal with it is. I think Im gonna end up an heroing one day cause of this shit.
>>
>>2350027

best is to quit art.
>>
>>2350027
I'm going through this right now too, OP. It doesn't help that it seems like the times when you feel this way, your drawings seem to really turn out shitty if you muster up the strength to even draw something. I have no idea how to deal with this kind of thing. Usually I just wallow for a bit, watch tv/movies/youtube/whatever or play vidya and just try to clear my head, then load up on coffee and try to draw something and just try not to think. Listening to podcasts helps with the not thinking part. The best advice I've ever gotten is to break the bad train of thought by hyper focusing on the present, even to the point of mentally narrating what you're currently physically doing. Godspeed, op.
>>
Ask yourself, why do you draw? Do you have a certain goal? Being an artist is communicating what we want from our minds through a medium. It doesnt matter if you're a chef, painter, musician ect. We are just learning to use our instrument and tools to convey the message. You have potential, everyone here does. You feel this way because you compare yourself to others, so dont. If not you should strive to be better than them. 4chan isnt the best website because >>2350045 . Shit like this is discouraging and will let you down. Take the advice we share and use it for what seems best for you. Put yourself in an enviorment that doesnt make you want to kill yourself. Improve on your flaws and enjoy drawing for yourself op.
>>
>>2350027
bro, instead of comparing yourself with others. instead compare yourself with your past self. then that's when you get better. work on your mind first then you roll with practicing stuff. remember to stay in present.

That's what im telling myself lately.

you already outlined what's stopping you from working on your arts. you know what to do.

if it doesn't help well, here:
got something for ya to read if you're into reading shit
mastery by george leonard.
art spirit by robert henri
art and fear by david bayles

give it 'em a try.
>>
Keep at it man, 10,000 hours remember.
>>
>>2350027

You're using your brain wrong. Set a goal and work hard to get there, nothing else is of concern. There's no reason to play masochistic games with yourself.
>>
At least you have normal job and prospects for career unlike those monkeys that spend autisticaly every single minute drawing and not interacting with people just to have $900/month as top illustrator/graphic designer.

I mean, who would like that, you'd be stupid to pursue that. Thank God you have normal job for which you are paid and respected.

...aren't you? Since if you aren't, this is main problem. Focus on that first. It's surely a lot better to do art if you don't have to fuck up your life and live like a bum. And your family for that matter too.
>>
>CalArts
Are you fucking serious kek
>>
>>2350027
I completely agree with >>2350053

I get into the same shitty train of thought that you do. I think it's really a matter of not letting yourself spiral down into a bunch of negative thoughts. If you go into a drawing and end up feeling bad, you'll start to associate these feelings with drawings. Instead, try to be more self-aware and recognize when you're having those negative thought patterns and try to distract yourself.

Just keep trying. Think about the things you have improved on. Even the smallest things.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.