[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just ordered a couple of the books from the /ic/ guide so I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 168814.jpg (49 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
168814.jpg
49 KB, 375x500
I just ordered a couple of the books from the /ic/ guide so I could improve

But since I havn't done any drawing except for digital since school, I was wondering what supplies I should buy?
>>
>>2349393
for just starting

drawing paper, pencil, eraser, sharpener, sketch clipboard

if you wanna render you will need a lot more but at first you shouldnt worry about all that.

Also I recommend deleting this thread and finding a beginner thread to ask these kinds of questions in.
>>
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
>>
A pencil or bic pen should be all you really need to start.

If you want something a little fancier than standard pencils and pens, I really like the pentel pocket brush pen. Getting some fine liners also doesn't hurt. Maybe a few markers (might be better to stick with a set of greys to start) for tone.
>>
>>2349393

Sketchbook and ballpen. Pen is better than pencil since you learn to think about your lines. Brushpen is even better since it helps you with lineweight, but it can be hard and frustrating at the beginning.

So ballpen. And sketchbook can be the cheapest one, but it has to be your own, something you can always look into and check previous studies or drawings.
>>
>>2349456
>Pen is better than pencil since you learn to think about your lines.

This is the same shit I hear people over at /p/ say.

"Film is better than digital since you learn to think about which photos to take."
>>
>>2349482

Doesn't make it less true. If you have less room for mistake you become more cautious with what you do. Surely nobody wants to end like those guys that say "bawww, I draw every day for the last 10 years and I am shit, bawww"
>>
>>2349482

It's not a silly suggestion. When fucking up costs you, you try harder not to fuck up and actually think before you act.

Ideally anyway, some people will be just as deliberate with either medium.
>>
>>2349489
>Doesn't make it less true. If you have less room for mistake you become more cautious with what you do
so for those of us with just pencils do you suggest that we be more "loose"
>>
All you need for now is
>a sketch book
you can use any blank paper, but sketch paper feels nicer to draw on and is less messy, overall its worth $5 or so for 100 pages. Make sure to at least get the medium sized though, too small and its a pain to draw on, more paper = more drawings and more room to do bigger things.
>Pencil
I like mechanical because you don't need to worry about sharpening them, which type doesn't really matter at this point. Just pick one you like the feel of and get drawing

Thats it.
Everything is just time and preference, for most the books the primary focus is on forms, anatomy, and perspective. Any shading can be done via hatching.

When you start getting into digital I recommend an intous medium to start off, its about $200 or so, but its worth the investment. However, if you're just starting out this should be 6-12 months in the future before you even begin to start thinking about it.

Remember to draw everyday, drawing is pretty cheap when starting out, don't fall into the tools trap. A cheap pencil and paper will git you gud just as quickly as the most expensive pens.
Good luck and god speed anon. Welcome to drawing.
>>
>>2349393
Start smal, don't buy fancy paper or sketchbooks, use whatever you have at home, even the backs of cereal boxes and the like so you don't get too attached to making "the perfect drawing" every time you pick the pencil. Using shitty paper was extremely helpful in making me draw more
>>
>>2349393
Kneaded eraser pentel mech pencil, h2 pencil
>>
why use any of this pencil / pen / paper shit when you can just get a wacom?
>>
>>2352594
Pencil control translates a lot better across mediums than tablet controls where you have to relearn them every time you switch machines, monitors, tablets, etc..
If you have good control with a pencil it becomes a lot easier to relate other things to it as a base.
It also teaches you many good habits you don't even think about when doing digital drawings.
>>
>>2352710
but erasing cleanly is really hard / impossible and you can't use any tools like zoom, transform, warp, or flip horizontal
>>
>>2352836
Its not as great for a finished product (although light pencil marks basically disappear and can be filtered out digitally later) but its better for learning purposes.
>>
>>2349482
I started with pen as a hobbiest just doodling and trying to learn some fundamentals

I'd say it's helped with my line confidence if that's a thing.

I'm still only a couple of weeks old in this world but I can't believe I am able to draw like I am now. Never would have thought tbhonest famiry.
>>
>>2352537
What kind of shit should I be drawing?

note: I'm stuck in an office and don't use real life drawing as it's pretty dull. on my freedays I can go out and draw real life stuff. My tablet I just have been doing drawing tutorials of cartoon characters.

Should I be focusing on other things? At the office I draw gestures and random pictures i find on the internet.
>>
>>2349489
You have to make mistakes to learn. Those faggots you're talking about aren't bad because they draw everyday with a pencil, they're bad because of other reasons.
>>
>>2349393
Whatever paper you having lying around, whatever writing tools you have lying around. Then when you're confident you want to continue your studies, graduate to pastels, and charcoals. Don't believe the mechanical pencil meme.
>>
>>2353405
Draw whatever you want, but be analytical of what you draw.
If you like drawing animus, draw animu. If you like drawing people, draw people. Spend some time copying artists you like to give you a base to analyze whats wrong and what isn't. You don't have to directly copy but you should use it heavily as a reference.
The important thing is to just draw more and to self critique yourself. Nothing specific will help you more than just drawing shit.
1 thing to watch out for is drawing the same thing though. rather than just drawing portraits of animus for example, make sure you get them in different situations, make sure to include foreshorting and interactions with other things/people. Get a large variety of things going, but make it interesting to you.
>>
>>2353495
thanks m8

when you say reference is that like something I can alt tab to or something I should have in another layer OR should it be like on a screen next to me
>>
>>2353499
If you have another screen use that. But I don't mean like tracing it. Just have something you can eyeball while copying. Its important to understand what other people are doing when they do it.
Say you were copying namori, instead of just copying it line for line you look at how they're constructing different things. You can notice how they use rounded shapes for their features rather than sharper ones. By copying this and applying it to what you already know of constructing features (which you should look at as well, loomis is pretty good at this but there are other sources as well) it will enhance your knowledge of both construction, as well as applying it to what you like to draw.
>>
>>2353502
Thanks again, when should I start stepping away from referencing? I've started keys to drawing.
>>
>>2353506
>when should I stop using reference
never.
What I'm suggesting is closer to a study rather than using a reference when doing your own work, you'll need to do studies whenever you want to understand new concepts or styles. Maybe not in this exact way, but similar techniques will need to be applied.
In terms of actual references (ie having an outline and an idea of what you want and using a model to make sure its done correctly) can be used any time you're not entirely sure. There are times you'll want to do things completely from imagination, which is also important and is something you should, and will have to, work on. But there is never a point you'll say "fuck it I'll never need references ever again", there'll always be things you're unsure of and will need to look at a model for. Its just time consuming and you don't always get the pose you want.

tldr, references don't mean copying , you should know how to build things without reference, they're used for other things.
>>
File: waddamelon.png (123 KB, 1230x794) Image search: [Google]
waddamelon.png
123 KB, 1230x794
>>2353511
Thanks dude <3

Here's a watermelon I drew for the fuck of it
>>
File: 1447886264812.png (80 KB, 243x247) Image search: [Google]
1447886264812.png
80 KB, 243x247
>>2352594
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2349393
Practice drawing with a wooden pencil. Learn to use 2H, B, 2B, 4H, and 6H. Learn to use a kneaded eraser to "draw", and use a plastic or rubber eraser to erase. Get a sketch pad or printer paper. You'll need a pencil sharpener to keep keep the pencils pointy. All of that stuff should cost about $20 in total.
Remember to draw with your arm.
Avoid using mechanical pencils.
>>
>>2349393
What is the consensus with this book? I don't like how all his example drawings have squiggly lines all over the place and it puts me off
>>
>>2357411
>Avoid using mechanical pencils.
please explain
>>
>>2357643
can't do tone/ line weight with the common mech pencil.
>>
>>2357421
The consensus is that it's an essential beginner book no different than Loomis or perspective made easy. Yeah, the example drawings aren't masterpieces but if they were beginners couldn't hope to digest and understand them. However the example drawings do come from master artists and the more you learn about art the more you'll appreciate them.
>>
>>2352537
Putty rubber

Tone your paper. Use the rubber to help with highlights.
One if the more valuable things in life drawing class
>>
>>2357686
That is bullshit my friend
>>
get vellum paper, so you can practice your inking/water coloring and pencils on that shit.
>>
>>2357686
Kek these were done with a mechanical pencil.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.