[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Painting WIP C&C please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
Is her head too big? Or her body too small? Anything misplaced?

C&C welcome
>>
There's a consistency I see with many of your paintings. I notice it because I personally used to do this. The lips are too far forward. It always seems as if they are being pulled. They are also often too small. I think you should try to paint women in different angles. I only ever see the 3/4ths view, and never from above or anything. Also some full bodies would be nice.
>>
>>2346088
Thanks for your helpful comment, anon! One of the issue I have is that I am painting from imagination, which is why the 3/4th view is most convenient for me. Also, regarding the lips, that is the size and shape of my lips, so I thought it was common for people to have such lips. But it's uplifting to read your comment. Thanks anon!
>>
File: ashley-callingbull-05_(1).jpg (14 KB, 600x279) Image search: [Google]
ashley-callingbull-05_(1).jpg
14 KB, 600x279
>>2346092
Yep, I see some people mention that you are not good but I don't think that's true. However, I do think you need to experiment more. I feel like with drawing from imagination, you also should observe things in live, like how you said with your drawings/paintings. Look at the picture I attached here. Maybe look at women's lips and draw some. I study anatomy as much as I do as drawing from imagination. I love learning as much as I love applying that knowledge. The book I'm reading right now, "Master Class in Figure Drawing" by Robert Beverly Hale is one of the most helpful I've seen for understanding how the body works. I feel like with some extra studying, the lips and shoulder area of this piece will improve. At first I thought it was kind of weird, but almost every time I'm out, I draw. I draw the people walking by. I carry a small sketchbook. However, you can just look at people around you and try to see their proportions of their lips or arms or how light hits them. Remember, every artist is always learning.
>>
>>2346112
Thank you for your humbling point which is completely true for everyone including me.

This is my second revision.
>>
>>2346482
head and hands too big.
Head too big compared to shoulders I think.
Hands should be the size from chin to 1cm up the eyebrows. Your hand already have that size minus the fingers. If you spread her hand on her face, the fingers would touch the base of her hair so not good.

I like the colors in background, not so much her skin color, too pink.

I think it would look nice on a wall if you have modern deco house.
>>
>>2346078
>>2346482
>face too wide
>neck too thick
>left arm too thin
>lips too small, also project too far forward
>jawline hard for a woman
>neck/head connection is not solid, they appear to be two different objects rather than one
>hands are just straight up bad and don't look like hands so much as amorphous claws
>interaction of collar bones/musculature looks wrong, muscles don't appear to be properly anchored
>breasts seem slapped on rather than attached to the chest
Buy an anatomy book
>>
>>2346782
>Buy an anatomy book

He will ignore this.
>>
>>2346767
>>2346782
Wow great suggestions and feedback, guys! I am trying to make the face as wide as possible, so I guess the shoulders should be wider in proportion? Or is it just the wideness of the face that causes the shoulders to not look wide enough, and if that's the case should it just be overlooked..?
>>
>>2346782

He's posted his earlier work and he's done more correct drawings, he chooses to draw this way.

I don't know why he picked "high-off-her-ass Chinese girl" as his style but y'know, it doesn't look like he plans on changing it. At least he's not as up his own ass as another namefag painter who blights this board with his own threads, whose name I dare not utter lest we summon him.
>>
this fucking thread
>>
>>2346834
In this painting, she's Native American Indian! I decided to depict under-represented minority in art, including Asians (mostly Koreans though).

I am trying to explore the aesthetics of oriental beauty as much as possible.
>>
>>2346078
garbage

who would even want to look at this?
>>
File: le hands up grimacing man face.jpg (56 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
le hands up grimacing man face.jpg
56 KB, 450x450
>>2346934
>"under-represented minority"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
>>
>>2346934
>Native American Indian!
So why does she look asian?

Maybe look at some real Native Americans.
>>
>>2346966
under-represented in the art world

>>2346988
I am committed to painting from imagination, and I think this is close enough
>>
>>2347002
>I am committed to painting from imagination, and I think this is close enough
It's not. You're on a completely different continent.
>>
File: chunbumstudy copy.jpg (144 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
chunbumstudy copy.jpg
144 KB, 700x700
>>2346934
>>2346078

Here is my Chunbum "Master" Study

> I am trying to make the face as wide as possible

Are you though? All your girls look exactly the same. I 'm not sure you've ever tried to do anything in particular.
>>
>>2347053

I actually like your version more.
>>
>>2347058
Not a difficult feat. :)
>>
>>2347053
Haha. That's pretty decent. I like it.

To me, all the girls look different, each with unique personality. They do follow the same formula though. I am committed to explore this aesthetics as much as possible, and it's a lot of fun to explore and appreciate!
>>
>>2347066
>I am committed to explore this aesthetics as much as possible

That's super crazy tho
>>
>>2347066

Well, whatever gets you off Chunbum. As long as you don't become Illustrat tier you can just do you.

Don't expect most this board to ever like it, though.
>>
>>2347021
>>2346988

I mean, Asians and Native Americans are somewhat similar genetically. I can understand it would be a challenge to properly differentiate when painting. Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if he'd just use some reference..
>>
Last touch for tonight

I made the hands slightly smaller, but not any further because the hands protrude farther out closer to the viewers' eyes

I broadened the shoulders. And changed the background.

So... I think I will be putting final touches tomorrow. What's wrong with it, and what to fix? I am not trying to be 100% realistic or anatomically correct. It's closer to expressionism.

Thanks in advance!
>>
Beautiful Indian girl
>>
>>2347174
Much better. I think the neck might be a touch thick though
>>
>>2347174
you don't actually understand how faces are shaped
>>
>>2347174

The inclusion of the teepee is still the only thing that gives me any native american vibe.
>>
>>2347174
can we see your sketches sometime?
>>
>>2347174
is she indian or japanese cunt on crack?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (2 MB, 1903x1057) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
2 MB, 1903x1057
>>2347174
>>
>>2347174
Biggs you just used your face for reference and added Indian hair
>>
>>2349240
*nigga
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.