[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question >How tight do you hold your pencil? I hold my tight,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: pencil_grip3.jpg (14 KB, 544x400) Image search: [Google]
pencil_grip3.jpg
14 KB, 544x400
Question

>How tight do you hold your pencil?

I hold my tight, but lately since I am learning to draw I listen my grip and seem to do much better.
>>
i try my best not to hold so tight, but when i focus too much and shit gets intense eventually i go check why my middle finger is hurting and turns out is even deformed with how tight i was holding the pen.
does anyone know how to stop this without changing gear? I only draw digitally, using SAI, a wacom bamboo connect and the pen is an Intuos pen small i think
>>
>>2343968
>>2344096
Along with loosening you're grip, you need to learn how to draw with your arm, and not just your wrist.
Check yourself before you rek yourself.
Seriously, all these habits lead to serious problems later, try correcting yourselves now before you do any serious damage.
>>
>>2344104
Enough with this meme. It's impossible to draw with your arm on a tablet or even in a sketchbook. Just fuck right off.
>>
>>2344105
You literally do not move your wrist. That's all there is to it.
Not my fault you can't control your own limbs.
>>
>>2344105
>>2344104
i dont think i move my wrist so much
as the tablet is not that big, finger movements cover most vertical distance i need, while arm movement covers horizontal distance and the rest of the vertical distance
but i might be wrong, just tried to sketch a head to test if i do use my wrist, but i feel like i dont
>>
>>2344108
I don't understand how people can draw amazing stuff on tablets using your finger, but I draw shit-tier drawings on my phone, and I don't move my wrist, and if I do, it's minimal. Like you said, fingers tend to do the job.
>>
>>2344111
its probably because i move the canvas more than i move the pen, that is, whatever i'm working on is always centralized, if i need to do a big ark, i zoom out, if i cant seem to get a line right with the angle it is, i rotate or flip the canvas etc
not always goes that way but most of the time
>>
>>2343968
The best way I can explain it: my fingers apply x pressure to the pencil when I hold it. When I apply x pressure to a kneadable eraser, the eraser gets pushed in about 1 mm. In other words, I don't push too hard.
>>
>>2344105
You're an idiot. You keep the wrist steady and draw from the elbow/shoulder. It's not impossible at all, even on smaller surfaces. Do a test. Hold arm still and draw some lines on the page by bending wrist back and forth. Then, keep wrist still and only bend the elbow. You have more control with the elbow and shoulder. More control=better lines.

It's no meme. In fact, unless you're a complete beginner, you probably have already started using your elbow for better control without realizing it. Don't act like a twat. I personally use elbow/wrist a lot on my tiny wacom bamboo, but it's a habit I'm working on changing.
>>
Its best not to think about it. i went through a phase always thinking about my pencil holds and convincing myself it mattered, but i got too concerned with that and forgot about what i was actually drawing, maybe that's just me. As long as you're not etching a hole through the paper, you're holding it fine.
>>
>>2344394
It is OK to use my wrist for detailing or should everything come from elbow upwards-including wires, rivets, etc.
>>
>>2344105
>people keeping tell me to stop being retarded!
>"stop being retarded" must be a meme!
Just because people give the same piece of advice does not make it a fucking meme.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.