[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting to get my head around this great software,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: manga-5-landing-boxshots.png (91 KB, 260x235) Image search: [Google]
manga-5-landing-boxshots.png
91 KB, 260x235
I'm starting to get my head around this great software, but hope to clarify some things;
- Why is it that when using the brush, pressing with full pressure doesn't achieve the darkest shade? It seems I need to go over it several times.
- Speaking of that feature, I was hoping to make it so that only pressure would determine darkness. The problem is if I make a stroke next to a stroke that's already there, and I overlap, the overlap part gets darker. Can this be changed?
- Is there a quick way to toggle off pressure, like if you just want to lay down some foundation colour in a certain spot?
- What are your thoughts on the way Manga Studio mixes paint automatically? Do you find it better than having to do it manually with Photoshop?
>>
File: bbhbbhhbbh.png (10 KB, 230x185) Image search: [Google]
bbhbbhhbbh.png
10 KB, 230x185
when in doubt start clicking anything you can find to see what it does
>>
Make sure you have opacity as well as density set to 100, and dont put spacing too low either.
>>
>>2341898
>- Is there a quick way to toggle off pressure, like if you just want to lay down some foundation colour in a certain spot?
make new layer
>>
Figure I'll post in this thread since I have a few questions related.

I used Manga studio a lot starting out, migrated to photoshop for a while and found a lot of things I liked, and now I'm probably going to start using both. But I'm curious about two things:

Is there a slider anywhere that can flatten my brush like in photoshop, or maybe make a square brush? Or do I need to create a custom brush and do it that way?
Also, as far as downloadable brushsets go, does anyone have recommendations? I got the DAUB ones on the cheap and there's some gems in there - how are Frenden's?
>>
File: bbhbbhhbbh.png (34 KB, 414x575) Image search: [Google]
bbhbbhhbbh.png
34 KB, 414x575
i have csp so the translation's probably different
>>2341977
thickness slider for making it flat
to make a square brush, click on tip shape> material > that little page button or the empty box
i don't know if there's a square in there by default but making one is easy
>draw the brush tip on the canvas (in this case a square)
>select it
>edit - convert brightness to opacity
>layer property - expression color: gray
>edit - register image as material
input whatever you want it to be at that point and it'll show up as an available brush tip
>>2341976
next to any setting slider there's a grey square next to it with a little symbol, click on it to change how it's affected (pressure, velocity, tilt, random, etc)
>>
Is this just as accessible as Sai or is it a bit more complicated?
>>
>>2344320
There's a lot more tools to use in manga studio so its not quite as easy to get into but its by no means difficult. It will however take a few hours/days of use to get the hang of everything and even afterwards you might find new things here and there.
>>
>>2344398
Well that's a given getting a new program taking a while to get used to it, I was referring to learning hotkeys, learning what to do aside from new layers.
>>
>>2344401
I'm not sure I follow.
You can do everything you ever want with the brush tool and layers. So yeah if you want to do that then its easy. B for brush ctrl N for new layers.
but there's a lot more shit so if you want to learn everything in the program of course its more complicated?
>>
>>2344403
I suppose, the thing that turned me off with photoshopped was I was over cumbered with so many tools and effects that I didn't know exactly what to do or how to do it. plus the hotkeys were retarded.
>>
>>2344407
I find most the hot keys were pretty intuitive for my first drawing program, there is a lot of things on the screen though so it can be intimidating coming from something a lot more streamlined.
>>
>>2344407

The first thing I do nowadays is go through the hotkey settings and bind the important stuff to keys I can do easily with my left hand. My keyboard has macro keys so it's usually pretty easy.
Once you figure out the shit you do most often, most programs can be keybound in a similar way.
>>
>>2344407

photoshop is awesome because you customize the everloving shit out of it. i have a completely personalized hotkey map and lik 20 little action scripts mapped to my f-keys that i, believe it or not, use regularly.

merging with the software to the point where you don't consciously 'look' for a tool or feature is absolutely essential.
>>
Are there any good sites with free resources for this program? Brushes, etc?
>>
>>2344547
second this.
>>
In Manga Studio 4, when filling in a selection with tone it would give you a preview while you were in the tone menu. This preview seems to be gone in five and you sort of have to guess what you want from a little box in the menu.

Is there any way to reenable that real time preview in 5?
>>
I really recommend getting the ink 1 especially, as it's a very standard brush I feel manga studio misses.
http://martinacecilia.deviantart.com/art/MangaStudio-5-clip-studio-paint-brushes-pack1-370697106
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.