[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My first take on oil painting, man it is hard to find the color
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160105_154753.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160105_154753.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
My first take on oil painting, man it is hard to find the color i want and details are hard to do, i need i smaller brush. And there's no ctrl+z IRL. Art academy on Wii u got me inspired into this.
>>
Btw, i'm waiting for it to dry so i can Start painting the face
>>
>>2339235
Where is the reference?
>>
File: BenYoungPortrait1.jpg (351 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
BenYoungPortrait1.jpg
351 KB, 750x1000
What's with traditional fags and their burning desire to have their medium in the picture of the painting...just take a normal picture you cunt
>>
>>2339237
>dry
The fuck holmes, get in there with a small brush and get blending. Wet on wet nigguh
>>
>>2339237
if it is actually oil paint it could take up to a year to fully dry
>>
>>2339294
Technically an oil painting can be not fully dry after hundreds of years.

The one year rule is just for varnishing (and 6 months is often enough). For layering paint you can wait just a few days and it will be fine.
>>
>>2339245
Is this yours? Google doesn't bring up anything...Regardless if it is, it's beautiful

as for OP
Try separating and simplifying your shadow-shapes and planes of the body. And use the brush to emphasize the form of an object.

As for details...work as simple as possible. In the picture in >>2339245
the iris is just two colors with a white highlight. The eyelashes are just a dark tone that instead of capturing each lash, the artist clumped them all together and softened the edge.

Also, something I found while working with oils. The larger you work, the better. Sure, you could paint a portrait on an 8x10 or 5x7, but by that size, you'll be fighting the medium rather than making a nice piece. 11x14, 10x10, 12x18, etc etc.

Keep doing them. It took me about 5 4hour paintings to really understand what I was doing. Bear in mind that I started with acrylic, and did like 10 life paintings in acrylic.

Keep painting, dawg. I believe in you.
>>
>>2339302
It's obviously not Ben Young posting here. He teaches at Watts Atelier, he's not gonna shitpost on a mongolian flipbook board.
>>
>>2339235
Is that Shion? I'd recognize those boobs anywhere.
>>
>>2339307
>Ben Young
>In the filename

I'm retarded, thanks.
>>
>>2339235
I feel like you're just painting big bewbies with no real reference. You should practice painting from life,even if it's not figures, painting 3D objects like a still life will help you far more than some giant tittied girl you make up in your head.
>>
>>2339430
>I feel like you're just painting big bewbies with no real reference.
>tfw no gf
>>
>>2339235
>hard to find the color i want
That's your lack of skill, not the medium.

>And there's no ctrl+z IRL.
Yes, but oil painting is about as close as you can get. You can at least fix your mistakes. Can't do that with watercolour.

If you're sick of waiting for stuff to dry, use Liquin. It will dry in about a day, so you still have some good working time.
>>
>painting oil
>waiting for it to dry to paint on top
u w0t
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.